STPM UPU - Appeal before 30th Jun & Co-cu Participation Explained

Malaysia Students

Jun 21, 2006, 12:50:32 PM6/21/06
to Malaysia Students
Congratulations to all successful STPM UPU applicants. For those of you
who fail to get one of your eight choices or your information doesn't
appear in the database, you may appeal online using the official appeal
form, E-RAYUAN (https://online.mohe.gov.my/erayuanstpm) on Ministry of
Higher Education website before 30th Jun 2006.

In addition to that, you may appeal offline through Malaysian Chinese
Association (MCA) by completing and submitting the appeal form
(http://www.mca.org.my/pdfdocs/25/STPM2006.pdf) which can be downloaded
from http://www.mca.org.my to Biro Pendidikan Pemuda MCA Kebangsaan,
Tingkat 7, Wisma MCA, 163, Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur. Bear in
mind that you have to attach your letter with a certified copy of your
Identity Card, SPM and STPM result slip each. If your information does
not appear in the database, you should attach your PIN receipt on top
of the copies of documents mentioned previously. Besides, you may call
the friendly MCA person in charge of the appeal process at 03-21618044.

This year is the first year that participation in co-curricular
activities is taken into account or in other words, contributes 10
percent of the total score in the selection system
(http://malaysian-students.blogspot.com/2006/05/updates-from-stpm-upu-front.html)
for entry into local public universities. I learn that the 10 percent
is calculated by adding two of the highest marks from four categories
which are the club or society, sports, uniform bodies and national
service and then divide the total marks by 2. Much to my surprise, no
mark is allocated for participation and achievement in activities
outside the school. So, does it mean that Ministry of Education
encourages form six students to participate in school level activities
only?

Contrary to a few schools which count the School Prefect Board (or in
Malay, Badan Pengawas Sekolah) as a uniform body, it is actually
categorized as a club or society according to Ministry of Higher
Education. For rare cases such as the president of School Prefect Board
is also the president of Mandarin Society, he or she may only choose
one of them to be counted as the club or society category. So, all
lower sixth form students this year including me should be wise in
choosing the right co-curricular activity categories combination.

BooN...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2006, 10:39:10 PM6/21/06
to Malaysia Students
There are good and bad in every system introduced. It's hard to have a
perfect and flawless system that can satisfy every individual in this
world.

In the recent system, I got total of 8.5 out of 10 in my KOKO CRUNCH
part. (Ko-kurikulum) Wow.. looked amazing isn't it ? How can I have
such good mark ? You may ask... Well, To be honest, I have a 'quite'
low-key profle in my Form 6 ... So where the hell you get you mark ??
You may ask again... My total 8.5 outof 10 were from my past activities
since Form 2 to For 5 ... "So what's the point you telling all this ??"
I'm not showing off here, I'm trying to imply that please take track
and record of what you have done in the past !! If you had participated
in some BIG event ... please record and remember it NOW ! So you won't
have headache by the time you are filling the UPU form !!

Oh gosh !! What if I threw the certs ?? What if I feed it to my dogs ??
Haha... please you are Form 6 (or younger wishig to enter university)
and I assume you know what to do right ? Go ask your in-charge teacher
in secondary school whom she knew that you participated in such events
and ask her to write an official letter to prove you have done that !!

The funny thing is ... What's the point of having COCO CRUNCH while you
don't enjoy eating it ?? I mean ... extra curicular activities are for
us to learn things other than becoming a reading n memorizing machine.
So wht's the point if you join a club just because the ministry want
you to ?? Think again !!

Hmm.. well.. another advice for all those who are going to choose
competitive course once again ! OK .. i will tell you the real-life
situation in my circle and you observe and analyse... See whether you
are OK to choose the course. I won't tell you who's who and how they
did.

In my school.. (SMK COCHRANE) I am one of the TOP 10 STPM student. One
of them scored 4A,1A- and got 4.00. She chose UKM Actuarial Science as
first choice but she failed. She got Physical Science in UM. How ironic
... I guess (personal guess) perhaps her KOKO CRUNCH spoiled her
overall marks..

While the other scored 4.00 with the results 4A, 1B+ got his first
choice which is Aerospace Engineering in USM.. It's not a very hot
course so it can be predicted that he would get it...

Another who scored 3.84 chose to do Pharmacy ... ... but he ended up
with 6th choice which is Biochemistry .. the weak point i think was
came from his KOKO CRUNCH... he is a quiet guy so not much KOKO CRUNCH
he had eaten...

My friend she got 3.83 and i knew she got very good KOKO CRUNCH (but
still lower than mine) and she got her second choice to do BIOMEDICINE
in UKM .. but she's going to NUS soon... Me who got 3.83 as well with
my 8.5 KOKO CRUNCH ... The total point is 94.7 out of 100 .. i ended
up with being one of the 506 Chinese (nationwide) who got Electronic
Engineering in USM ...

Another great girl in my class got 3.92 ... she applied for medicine
and dentistry for 1 - 8 choices ... ... PLEASE YOU MUST NOT DO LIKE
THIS !!! why ? she ended with something called "Sains Perhutanan (SERAT
KAYU)" ... ... PLEASE... each year things are different . plus more..
KOKO CRUNCH IS COUNTED so you must not choose competitive course i yo
dn't have a nice KOKO CRUNCH to bite...

After all these examples.. I'm afraid that you can see how GREAT the
influence of those KOKO CRUNCH ?? I believe the cut-off point for
medicine is around 94/95 which means I would still had chance to get
medicine even i din score 4 FLATS ... YOU SEE ?? 4 FLATS doesn't mean
EVERYTHING nowadays !!! With some GOOD KOKO CRUNCH a guy with 3.83
like me can beat off many those 4 FLATS book worms who don't want to be
involved in anything ... ... i mean something BIG ... You need to
involve in BIG event if possible !! Because it just too difficult to
get good marks i know since you need to represent the state if you wan
to get 4 marks ... ...

Anyway.. evey year the system will be different .. it is just an
advice... so ADIOS and ALL THE BEST !!!

Malaysia Students

Jun 24, 2006, 6:56:25 AM6/24/06
to Malaysia Students
BooN...@gmail.com wrote:

> While the other scored 4.00 with the results 4A, 1B+ got his first
> choice which is Aerospace Engineering in USM.. It's not a very hot
> course so it can be predicted that he would get it...

> You need to

> involve in BIG event if possible !! Because it just too difficult to
> get good marks i know since you need to represent the state if you wan
> to get 4 marks ... ...

I am studying lower 6 at a school which has just opened form 6 classes
for 2 year or so. So, everything in KOKO CRUNCH and other form six
related things are very vague for both my teachers and I. Would you
mind to answer some of my questions?

1. When A takes 5 subjects in STPM and get let say 4A and 1B+, will he
still get 4.00? So do you mean that when someone takes 5 subjects, he
can choose the 4 highest grade to be counted and neglet the remaining 1
grade?

2.May I know how the KOKO CRUNCH be counted? I learn that the 10

percent
is calculated by adding two of the highest marks from four categories
which are the club or society, sports, uniform bodies and national

service and then divide the total marks by 2. Am I right? Can you
please tell me the exact marks being allocated for attendance,
participation, achievement and position?

BooN...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2006, 12:37:13 AM6/25/06
to Malaysia Students
I'm ready to help. Here are the answers for your questions..

> 1. When A takes 5 subjects in STPM and get let say 4A and 1B+, will he
> still get 4.00? So do you mean that when someone takes 5 subjects, he
> can choose the 4 highest grade to be counted and neglet the remaining 1
> grade?

MPM only chooses the highest 4 subjects (not chosen by the students) in
your STPM examination for the calculation of your GCPA. So if you took
4 subjects all subjects will be counted for the GCPA but if you took 5
subjects only 4 highest subjects will be chosen. My friend got A in his
PA, Maths T, Physics and Further Maths T but he get B+ in his
Chemistry. Anyway his final GCPA turned out to be 4.00. Honestly I
didn't know about this, becoz if i did i'd sure take all 5 subjects
that i wanted...

Anyway when you trying to apply for scholarship it may be a bit
eye-scratching results for the only B+ in your straight A results
slip...

> 2.May I know how the KOKO CRUNCH be counted? I learn that the 10 percent
> is calculated by adding two of the highest marks from four categories
> which are the club or society, sports, uniform bodies and national
> service and then divide the total marks by 2. Am I right? Can you
> please tell me the exact marks being allocated for attendance,
> participation, achievement and position?

OK.. make it simple.. next year it'd be a different and new system if
not mistaken.. but it is more or less something similar.. it won't care
for your attendance participation etc... the only thing is you need to
join and make some acheivement ... and of course being recognised by
your school... you can't say I WON IN COUNTER STRIKE COMPETITION ...
UNLESS YOU ARE REPRESETING YOUR SCHOOL'S IT CLUB then it would be a
different story

the point scheme is something like below

Position
0 - no participation
1 - member
2 - AJK .. etc...
3 - Vuice secreatary/vice treasurer.. etc...
4 - Vice president/Treasurer/Secretary.. etc
5 - President (etc..)

Achievement
0 - no achievement
1 - representing class
2 - representing school
3 - representing zone/daerah
4 - representing state
5 - representing country

for uniform there will be a different point scheme.. depends on your
rank... like my uniform i joined scout and i got 4 for my pangkat (i
forgot what's the rank ... since i got it in Form 4) and i joined
International Jembory i got another 5 points for it so totaled 9
points out of 10 IN UNIFORM CATEGORY)

Another category for PERSATUAN i got 5 points for my PENGERUSI rank and
another 4 points since i won in a national competition...

(there's no need to consider my sport category... because it's lower
than 9 points) so my highest 2 categories are UNIFORM and PERSATUAN
which are 9 points each.

Hence my average from this KOKO CRUNCH is 9 points out of 10.

I got 3.83 in my STPM hence i got 86.175

plus the 9 marks i got total 95.175 which qualifying myself to enroll
in Electronic Engineering course...

Hope this helps..

Malaysia Students

Jun 27, 2006, 5:37:16 AM6/27/06
to Malaysia Students
Thanks. Your replies are really helpful to us. Wishing you a wonderful
university life.