shared workspace for independent contractors

Angel

Feb 7, 2007, 11:27:55 AM2/7/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
I am currently working on setting up a permanent office space computer
programmers, web designers, graphic designers, etc that are
independent contractors and would like a shared space to work
alongside others. The office space I'm looking at is on the near east
side, and I would like to get this going within the next month. Is
there anyone on this list that would definitely be interested in this
if it cost about $100/month for a desk to work at, internet, and
subversion server?

Angel

Brandon Arbini

Feb 8, 2007, 3:06:29 PM2/8/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
Hey Angel. How have you been? Sounds interesting to me. Have you had
any interest elsewhere? The location, the building, quality of the net
connection, etc. would make a difference to me. Got any more details?

Brandon.

Rob Sanheim

Feb 8, 2007, 5:22:20 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
Angel

I would also like more details on this....and I'd love to see the
space before putting any money down. Would that be possible?

- Rob

Rob Sanheim

Feb 8, 2007, 5:28:20 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
Oh yea, and if you get a nice fax/laser printer/copy machine in there,
you would almost have me sold immediately.

- rob

Angel

Feb 8, 2007, 6:33:31 PM2/8/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
The space I'm looking at is at 3324 Milwaukee Street. You can see
floor plans at http://www.madrent.com/3324o.html. I plan on leasing
C1, and possibly C4 if there is enough interest. It is a nice modern
building with air conditioning. As for seeing the space, I'm not sure
if that's possible before I rent it. I don't want to annoy the
landlord too much with too many people wanting to go out to see it.

The office has a restroom, and I can provide a refrigerator and a
microwave. There is no kitchen, but if I have enough interest (at
least 13 people), I will be renting C4 as well and there's a room in
there that can be used as a kitchen and have a kitchen sink installed.

I will be leasing the space under my name or perhaps a company name,
so you would just pay a flat fee to me for usage, and I would be
taking all of the risk involved in this venture. I was thinking $10
for a trial day, $100 for a month, $285 for 3 months, $540 for six
months, and $1,000 for a year (paid up front). So it gets a little
cheaper per month depending on how much you pay for at one time.

For the network, I will be getting DSL from AT&T with a 3-6 Mbps
downstream and 512-768 Kbps upstream.

I was intending to offer use of a printer, and probably get one that
can copy as well. I did not figure a phone line and fax machine into
my costs though, so I might have to raise the monthly cost by $5 or
$10 a month if people wanted that.

Let me know if you have any more questions. :-)

Angel

On Feb 8, 4:28 pm, "Rob Sanheim" <rsanh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh yea, and if you get a nice fax/laser printer/copy machine in there,
> you would almost have me sold immediately.
>
> - rob

Angel

Feb 8, 2007, 6:36:42 PM2/8/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
Also, the deskspace will probably be used desks that I pick up from UW
Swap, and I may also put in some bookshelves.

Angel

Ryan Smith

Feb 8, 2007, 7:14:31 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
I'm not interested, but this is a great idea. I'll be jealous of anyone who has the opportunity to take advantage.

I just wanted to chime in quickly before I head out to the Code'n'Coffee tonight to respond about the archaic telephone idea. Go with Skype ( www.skype.com) instead ... or maybe just use your cell phones. Skype is just like iChatAV but better and you can call cell phones, land lines in the US, Canada, Europe, etc, etc for a whole lot less than a hard line all from your Mac or PC (with the help of a not-as-cool-as-they-could-be USB headset like this). Also, with Skype you can make phone calls from anywhere you're laptop can pick of wi-fi and you can hold a chat conference at the same time. It's actually pretty cool.

Now, I'm not some weird-o Skype sales person, but what is this, Hackers on a modem from '95? I hope you're not thinking about having a phone line installed just for faxing.

Anywho ...

_rs

Vegan Buddy

Feb 8, 2007, 7:14:54 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
I'm only here till the end of June, but I'm definitely interested.

Vegan Buddy

Feb 8, 2007, 7:16:54 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
Oops, forgot to add. I'm definitely interested as long as there is
24/7 availability.

Angel

Feb 8, 2007, 7:19:09 PM2/8/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
It would probably only be open around business hours, unless there is
someone I trust there, to limit the possibility of theft.

Angel

On Feb 8, 6:16 pm, "Vegan Buddy" <veganbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, forgot to add. I'm definitely interested as long as there is
> 24/7 availability.

Angel

Feb 8, 2007, 7:21:31 PM2/8/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
Yes, a phone line would probably only be for faxing. That is one
reason I am a bit reluctant to get a phone line. If there is a better
way to set it up for faxes, I would love that. :-)

Angel

On Feb 8, 6:14 pm, "Ryan Smith" <ratioswi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not interested, but this is a great idea. I'll be jealous of anyone who
> has the opportunity to take advantage.
>
> I just wanted to chime in quickly before I head out to the Code'n'Coffee

> tonight to respond about the archaic telephone idea. Go with Skype (www.skype.com) instead ... or maybe just use your cell phones. Skype is just

> like iChatAV but better and you can call cell phones, land lines in the US,
> Canada, Europe, etc, etc for a whole lot less than a hard line all from your
> Mac or PC (with the help of a not-as-cool-as-they-could-be USB headset like

> this<http://us.accessories.skype.com/direct/skypeusa/itemdetl.jsp?prod=2921>).

> Also, with Skype you can make phone calls from anywhere you're laptop can
> pick of wi-fi and you can hold a chat conference at the same time. It's
> actually pretty cool.
>
> Now, I'm not some weird-o Skype sales person, but what is this, Hackers on a
> modem from '95? I hope you're not thinking about having a phone line

> installed just for faxing. <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/faxing/>
>
> Anywho ...
>
> _rs

> On 2/8/07, Angel <angelic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The space I'm looking at is at 3324 Milwaukee Street. You can see

> > floor plans athttp://www.madrent.com/3324o.html. I plan on leasing

Rob Sanheim

Feb 8, 2007, 10:22:51 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/07, Angel <angel...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've set up a page for this on the wiki here:

http://madisonrails.com/wiki/pages/Madison+Coworking

So if you are looking to point people somewhere for reference or more
info, point them there.

Ryan Smith

Feb 8, 2007, 10:26:00 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
Angel,
I've posted Rob's link to the Madison Rails wiki on the PHP Meet-up site. If you want to take a look-see, add any more info to my post, or check out the PHP Meet-up in general check it out here:

http://php.meetup.com/125/boards/view/viewthread?thread=2705523

Cheers,
_rs

Angel

Feb 8, 2007, 10:48:10 PM2/8/07
to Mad Railers, the Madison, WI Ruby on Rails Users Group
Thanks for helping me out with getting the word out, Rob and Ryan! :-)

Angel

On Feb 8, 9:26 pm, "Ryan Smith" <ratioswi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Angel,
> I've posted Rob's link to the Madison Rails wiki on the PHP Meet-up

> site<http://php.meetup.com/125/>.

> If you want to take a look-see, add any more info to my post, or check out
> the PHP Meet-up in general check it out here:
>
> http://php.meetup.com/125/boards/view/viewthread?thread=2705523
>
> Cheers,
> _rs

Rob Sanheim

Feb 8, 2007, 10:54:16 PM2/8/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
Sure no problem!

I just want to make sure it goes off so I have access to a real laser
printer =).

- Rob

Ryan Smith

Feb 9, 2007, 9:54:45 PM2/9/07
to Mad-R...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome!
Plus, a little meet-up cross-pollination never hurt anyone.

_rs