Finder issues with -onoapplespecial

MidgetWombat

Jun 5, 2007, 2:32:56 PM6/5/07
to MacFusion-devel
Hi all,

First off, thanks for developing MacFusion. It's great.

Secondly, there seems to be an issue with using Finder and SSHFS
together with MacFusion and -onoapplespecial.

-onoapplespecial stops the special mac files like .DS_Store. The
problem with that is that Finder then complains of the following
error(s):

"You cannot copy some of these items to the destination because their
names are too long or contain invalid characters for the destination.
Do you want to skip copying these items and continue copying the other
items?"
Stop / Continue

Either choice gives the same result: the files are copied but
truncated to zero. These are files which have very simple file names.
The issue goes away if -onoapplespecial is removed.

Perhaps there is a way for SSHFS to fake the .DS_Store file to make
Finder believe that everything is ok? If not, this means that one can
only use non-Finder clients (e.g. the Eclipse file browser) to add
files to an SSHFS mount point.

Either that, or I have made some other mistake I'm not aware of.

Thanks for writing MacFusion!

Daniel

Graham Perrin

Jun 6, 2007, 3:31:48 AM6/6/07
to MidgetWombat, MacFusion developers
On 5 Jun 2007, at 19:32, MidgetWombat wrote:

> Perhaps there is a way for SSHFS to fake the .DS_Store file to make
> Finder believe that everything is ok?

Defocusing from SSHFS, MacFusion, MacFUSE, Finder and Path Finder ...

=================
Advice from Apple
=================

Mac OS X 10.4: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network
connections

===============================
Experiments with noapplespecial
===============================

> ... only use non-Finder clients (e.g. the Eclipse file browser) to add

> files to an SSHFS mount point.

Path Finder
===========

Paying attention to the developer's advice,

>>> I personally am not too excited about this option, but here it is
>>> in case somebody wants to experiment. I haven't tested this,
>>> especially in how it might affect the Finder and other
>>> applications. Use at your own peril.

I experimented with Path Finder and the MacFUSE noapplespecial option,

>> An error occured.
>>
>> Mac OS error -37
>>
>> src: /Users/gjp22/Desktop/StarFont test.odt
>> desc: /Volumes/keeler/StarFont test.odt
>> item: /Volumes/keeler

The Mac OS error was followed by production of a zero byte file.

Adverse effects of noapplespecial experiments are not limited to Finder.

NeoOffice
=========

I experimented with NeoOffice and the MacFUSE noapplespecial option,
NeoOffice had no trouble saving to an SSHFS volume :-)

=========
Relevance
=========

Note that noapplespecial is a MacFUSE option (not limited to
MacFusion or the SSHFS plug-in).

For discussion of MacFUSE development and advanced usage issues,
there's a separate group: <http://groups.google.com/group/macfuse-
devel/about>

Kind regards
Graham