Can't write to server folder

chip.m...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 1:13:17 AM9/10/08
to MacFusion-devel
Anyone experience this?

I'm able to connect and mount the FTP server as a drive, but when I
try to copy files to it, I get a permissions error.

"The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient
privileges for some of the items."

Sometimes, a few of the items will copy but not others, other times
nothing will be copied, but a 0kb file is created.

I'm also unable to delete files.

If I then connect with an FTP client, I can read, write and delete
without a hitch.

I've setting both Macfusion switches (ignore Apple double files, &
VNode cache) both ways and still have the problem.

chip.m...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 1:19:05 AM9/10/08
to MacFusion-devel
Answering my own question...
I noticed the post in the wiki about the curlftps after Macfusion
triggered an error message relating to curlFTPs. I guess that's
probably this issue.

On Sep 10, 1:13 am, "chip.mayn...@gmail.com" <chip.mayn...@gmail.com>

objectcentral

Sep 14, 2008, 2:36:28 PM9/14/08
to MacFusion-devel
I am having similar issues, but I don't think it is curlftps related.
I have a web server with a standard FTP server.
I'm pretty sure I have all the needed permissions on the server.

I can browse the server's directories, I can delete files, but when I
dry to drag a file to the FUSE FTP directory,
I first get a few messages that I don't have read access to something
(it would be nice if the error messages could
be a little more verbose and say WHICH file isn't readable, rather
than the vague "something".). Eventually I get the
not enough privileges message, at which point an EMPTY file of the
correct name has been created on the FTP server.

I get similar results on both my MacBook and my MacPro. Any FTP
program I use has no problems copying files to
the FTP site.

On Sep 9, 11:19 pm, "chip.mayn...@gmail.com" <chip.mayn...@gmail.com>

Michael Gorbach

Sep 14, 2008, 11:26:59 PM9/14/08
to MacFusi...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried command line mounting using the curlftpfs_static binary
inside Macfusion?
I think the defer_permissions option might help. If it does I can add
a possibility to enable that in Macfusion.

Michael

chip.m...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2008, 9:04:02 AM9/15/08
to MacFusion-devel
I haven't tried that, nor would I really know how. I'm not really
familiar with any command line operations.

Rudro

Sep 15, 2008, 2:26:00 PM9/15/08
to MacFusion-devel
I'm having the same problem. I am ssh-ing into my school machine and
this problem seems to be fairly recent. Any leads?

On Sep 15, 7:04 am, "chip.mayn...@gmail.com" <chip.mayn...@gmail.com>

Rudro

Sep 15, 2008, 2:33:11 PM9/15/08
to MacFusion-devel
I unchecked the 'ignore apple double files' and it stopped giving me
the problem. However the system becomes very very slow so this is not
practical!

lfrancis

Sep 19, 2008, 1:50:24 PM9/19/08
to MacFusion-devel
Also having write issues. On a ssh connection to an internal Debian
box I get a permissions error, for attempted writes to a ftp site on
Media Temple's Grid, I get 'operation could not be completed with
error code -1407. Running OS X.5.5 on MacIntel with MacFuse 1.7.1.

Rudro

Sep 25, 2008, 7:18:13 AM9/25/08
to MacFusion-devel
Dear MIchael,

Do you know what the problem is?

Thanks,
Rudro

sinouhe

Sep 25, 2008, 8:56:54 AM9/25/08
to MacFusion-devel
Same problem here with permission error on FTP server.

Could someone give us a hint on what lines to write for trying
defer_permissions option.
That would be greatly appreciated.
Tx

Michael Gorbach

Sep 25, 2008, 9:08:07 PM9/25/08
to MacFusi...@googlegroups.com
The problem is Finder. It often requires access to ._ (apple double)
files to work properly. The option you're checking makes it so all
those reads and writes do nothing, thereby severely confusing Finder.
If you uncheck that option, things (usually) work as normal (unless
the FTP server doesn't allow such filenames), except things are
_really_ slow. This issue is not on Macfusion's side, but on the side
of the FUSE filesystem (curlftpfs, sshfs). I think it _can_ be solved
at the MacFUSE level using a transparent "stacking" FUSE filesystem
that will cache appledobule files _locally_, making things work and
also be very fast. This is a difficult project, however, and at this
point well outside of the level of time I have to contribute, not to
mention that it's at a lower level than most of the programming I have
done. It would be a very significant contribution to the Mac and FUSE
communities if such a thing were built, as then all network FUSE
filesystems like S3, FTP and SSH would see functionality and
performance gains.

Michael