What games do you play ? ALTERNATE VERSION

Kristin Boyett

Jul 19, 2007, 10:42:24 AM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
When I first got this msg from Chuck Butcher, I found the subject intriguing - but upon reading the body of the msg, I realized the question was what games are played at your library.

My question is what games do YOU, as individuals, play? We all are at least interested in supporting gaming at the libraries, but beyond supporters, are we gamers?

KMB

Chad Haefele

Jul 19, 2007, 11:13:54 AM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
My current personal console suite includes: PS2, Xbox 360, Wii,  and a DS.

My 360 gets the bulk of my playing time lately (The Darkness and Burnout: Revenge are at the top of my playlist right now), but the Wii gets a pretty good workout whenever I have friends over.  I'm also (very) slowly playing through the Gamecube's Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on it.  I won't let myself buy Super Paper Mario until I finish this one :)  The PS2 is just a DDR machine for me now that the 360 has Guitar Hero, and the DS doesn't get played much except when I'm traveling.

-Chad

Brian Looker

Jul 19, 2007, 11:41:26 AM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
I was born and raised on the Nintendo, but I'm usually a budget gamer, waiting to pick up games until they've been out awhile (exception likely to occur in the fall, when the new Smash Bros. comes out on the Wii). I'm still playing my GameCube, wrapping up Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. My wife has taken over the DS with Metroid Hunters, but before that I made a proud achievement in beating Tetris.

Thanks to a friend, my current addiction is StarCraft, which still sells for $20 new at the big box retailers 10 years after its initial release. I'm new to strategy gaming, and I find it more rewarding than any other sort of game I've played.

Brian Looker
*************************
Librarian
Young Adult & Reference
Adult Division
Decatur Public Library
130 N. Franklin St.
Decatur, IL 62523
217-421-9756
blo...@decatur.lib.il.us

Megan Johnson

Jul 19, 2007, 11:48:31 AM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com

I play everything. At our house we (my husband and I) have 2 PCs for online gaming (RTS games like Age of Empires, Rise of Legends, Command and Conquer and recently we just put our toes into the water of MMORPGs with Guild Wars which we play with my Brother In Law) We have an Xbox 360, and are considering a second one since there is a limitation on 2 player simultaneous play on Xbox live. We recently found out that Bomberman from Xbox live worked for this. For the 360 I recently finished The Darkness, Gears of War (working through this again on insane) and Virtua Tennis. We just bought The Bigs, Overlord and Crackdown which we are currently playing. We are seriously looking forward to Blue Dragon, a totally awesome looking RPG from the makers of Final Fantasy and Dragonball Z. The 360 gets the most use right now because of the network of friends I have on it. I can usually find someone to play with all the time. J

On my PS3 I just finished Spider-man 3 and am currently playing Resistance Fall of Man. I use the PS3 now for my PS2 games, which I just picked up Odin Sphere, a good side scrolling RPG. Can’t wait for the new Ratchet & Clank for the PS3 – one of the new guns turns the enemies into penguins!

On my PSP I am playing Final Fantasy 1, which I think is really Final Fantasy 3, but it was Final Fantasy 1 in the US. I also finished Daxter recently on that.

On my Wii, I recently played a bunch of Mario Party 8, we brought it with us on vacation and played it with our families, started Super Paper Mario, play a lot of Wii Sports, and someone told me that Resident Evil 4 was fun on it, so we’ll try that too. We finished Legend of Zelda Twilight princess a long time ago. It was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing Wii Fit.

On my DS I played through Final Fantasy III IV & V – play MarioKart, loved Hotel Dusk, and can’t wait for the new Zelda.

Sorry for the looong message, but this is one of my favorite topics! And to those who might be wondering what else I do with my time, yes I am a full time librarian – So is my husband, I just finished reading the Uglies trilogy, read the newest Fables by Willingham, finished watching the newest season of Lost on itunes, and played 4 rounds of disc golf last week. People at my work often wonder where I get all the time to do the gaming, but I don’t really watch much TV, all the shows we watch are either from Netflix or itunes. I firmly believe if you cut out the commercials in your life, you’ll have 5 extra hours a week to play video games. :P

Megan Johnson

Teen Services Librarian

Rochester Hills Public Library

500 Olde Towne Road

Rochester, MI 48307

Phone: 248-650-5683

When I first got this msg from Chuck Butcher, I found the subject intriguing - but upon reading the body of the msg, I realized the question was what games are played at your library.

Jill Carpenter

Jul 19, 2007, 11:54:22 AM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Guitar Hero, DDR, American Idol :) and Halo.  I love Halo.  I will also stop cleaning the house for some Crash Nitro kart and some Super Monkey Ball.  And Pocket Tanks on the Mac.

Jill Carpenter
Teen Services Librarian
Pikes Peak Library District
Colorado Springs, CO
jcarp...@ppld.org

On 7/19/07, Megan Johnson < Meg...@rhpl.org> wrote:

[...]

Gillian Wiseman

Jul 19, 2007, 1:38:28 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
That's an interesting question. I'll answer both the original and the secondary questions:

At the Library on Game Night - Wii sports and Raving Rabbids; DDR on PS2; Mario Kart (lan mode tournaments) and Super Smash Brothers on Gamecube.

At home I play - DnD 3.5E pen and paper RPG (weekly); on computer -  Civ III; Neverwinter Nights; Sryth (an online text-based game); and an arcade-style game I stumbled across just a few days ago called Fizzball. I don't own any sort of game system, though I'm contemplating a Wii.

Gillian Wiseman
Electronic Resources Librarian
Waco-McLennan County Library
Jul 19, 2007, 1:44:03 PM7/19/07
to LibGaming
First i should have started off introducing myself to the group.

Name - Charles Butcher - (aka - Chuck, Chuckster, That Guy, oh him)
Age - 42
Married 24 yrs with 1 child (who is actually a fine young adult in pre
med at EMU)
Technology Coordinator for Rossford Public Library
Ham Radio operator - KB8YWH
Amateur Astronomer
My whole family games, even my Mother who is 66 (she is a Quake
fanatic)

What games do i play as an individual ?

Here is a small list of what i play.

My platforms are;
Atari, Sega Genisis, PS1, PS2, PS3, Game Cube, Wii and the PC

All GTA's
WOW
Everquest
Manhunt
Zelda
NHL/2K7
Max Payne 1/2
MOHAA - ALL
Sims
Quake - All
Half Life 1/2
Unreal /All
CS
DOD
Red Orchestra
BF 1942
BF2142

I have so many it is hard to list everything. My current project is
taking an old PC and creating a Mame Machine for our recreation room.
I have kept virtually everything from my childhood up until present
day.
I dont want anyone to think this is all we do. I play ball, hockey,
camp with our nieces and nephews and i do alot of reading.
I live on a golf course but i dont golf. "I just like hitting the
balls back to the golfers on weekends"

Chuck

Kristin Boyett

Jul 19, 2007, 2:20:52 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Gillian!
Another Texas tabletop gamer?? We have to meet!!

Kristin

Gillian Wiseman

Jul 19, 2007, 3:09:01 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
    That sounds like a super idea! Where are you? Maybe we could meet at TLA or something...

Ian McKinney

Jul 19, 2007, 3:26:05 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
At my library we play Guitar Hero and DDR on PS2, Wii sports, Halo 2 on 360, and maybe a couple of others.  Plus in the summer I run a D&D (or other roleplaying game) weekly for 6 or 7 weeks.

At home, I play D&D 3/3.5 (monthly in person, and sporadically via phone/internet); chess on gameknot.com (used to play on the Internet Chess Club, but gave it up because of a. cost and b. playing only bullet chess was bad for my game); Scrabble on the Internet Scrabble Club; and sporadically, Civ III, Neverwinter Nights; and Star Wars Racer.  Plus playing through Myst and sequels with my wife.  Plus I'm probably leaving something out.

--Ian
Young Adults' Services Assistant Manager
Allen County Public Library
Fort Wayne, IN

On 7/19/07, Gillian Wiseman < gwis...@ci.waco.tx.us> wrote:
That's an interesting question. I'll answer both the original and the secondary questions:

At the Library on Game Night - Wii sports and Raving Rabbids; DDR on PS2; Mario Kart (lan mode tournaments) and Super Smash Brothers on Gamecube.

At home I play - DnD 3.5E pen and paper RPG (weekly); on computer -  Civ III; Neverwinter Nights; Sryth (an online text-based game); and an arcade-style game I stumbled across just a few days ago called Fizzball. I don't own any sort of game system, though I'm contemplating a Wii.

Gillian Wiseman
Electronic Resources Librarian
Waco-McLennan County Library

Teresa Copeland

Jul 19, 2007, 3:50:30 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
I play GURPS Illuminati University with my teen group, and an online version with friends. I only have a PS2 at home. Since I have joint problems in my hands I can't play button masher speed type games (I'm also much more likely to get engrossed in a jigsaw puzzle than a game anyway). Mostly I play PC puzzle and mystery games, especially the simple ones like arcadetown.com sells, and lots and lots of simple online games. I'm going to start Kingdom of Loathing, which many of my friends play.
And I'm addicted to Mahjong solitare and Apples to Apples.
Teresa
Jul 19, 2007, 4:23:55 PM7/19/07
to libg...@googlegroups.com
The two games that I am bouncing back and forth between currently are Soul Calibur 3 for PS2 and Izuna : the legend of the unemployed ninja for my DS.  Besides the PS2, I have an Xbox, 2 computers for LAN/Internet gaming (my husband is desperately trying to get me to play World of Warcraft, but seeing how he addicted he is to it, I'm convinced I'll never get my life back again), my DS, and severaly previous Gen gameboys, a PSOne, and a Nintendo 64.  I'm a big retro gamer. :-P

If I could afford any of the next gen consoles, I'd get a Wii.  I tried Wii sports once, and was absolutely hooked.

Angie Antzak
Youth Services Coordinator
Plattekill Public Library
2047 State Route 32
Modena NY, 12548
845-883-7286
Web Site : http://plattekill.lib.ny.us
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/plattekill_library

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:42:24 -0500

Kat Werner

Jul 19, 2007, 4:44:29 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
I mostly use my GameCube and play Mario Party, Double Dash, Time Splitter: Future Perfect, and other assorted Mario games.  I also have a DS and play Big Brain Academy on there a lot.  On the PS2 I mostly play Soul Caliber 3 or Guitar Hero (have my copy of Guitar Hero Rock of the 80's on reserve, can't wait for it to come out!).

Kat Werner
Benton Harbor Public Library

213 E. Wall St.
Benton Harbor, MI 49022
bhlibr...@yahoo.com

check us out on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/bhlibraryteen

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Todd McCall

Jul 19, 2007, 6:32:29 PM7/19/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Just to introduce myself:
Name: Todd McCall
Just beginning my 2nd year in the MS LIS program at Syracuse University and the CAS in Digital Libraries program
Gaming : primarily CIV IV, UFO Aftershock and Galactic Civilization II (all PC...I don't own a console system)
Used to be into pen & paper RPGs : Champions/Hero System primarily with some D&D, but I haven't found a group
since I moved back to the Syracuse area.

green...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2007, 7:17:50 PM7/19/07
to LibGaming
I am addicted to NFS Carbon on Gamecube and chocolate.

Joseph Wilk

Jul 20, 2007, 1:23:58 AM7/20/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
I play Berzerk on Atari 2600, Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast, and occasionally emulated NHL '93, Madden '95, or College Football's National Championship on an emulated Genesis.  That's all the gaming I've done in the last year!

Cheers,
Joseph Wilk

Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh -- Teen

Sebastian Song

Jul 22, 2007, 5:52:41 AM7/22/07
to LibGaming

PS3
Just finished THe Darkness a couple weeks ago
Playing Resistance: Fall of Man (trying to unlock the skills)
Ridge Racer next though I am horrible at racing games

PS2
Confessions havent played this for months
Just got the Hitman Trilogy will be playing either Hitman:Blood Money
or Hitman 2
(pity Thief never got ported over to consoles.. love the sneaky feel
of the game)
Bully.. exceptional game from Rockstar

360
Call of Juraez

DS
Platinum Sudoko (hooked on kakuro)

Wii
Raving Rabbids!!! Aaaaaaaah

Cheers
Sebastian Song
National Library - Singapore

Monica Harris

Jul 25, 2007, 10:49:54 AM7/25/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see some of you at GLLS.  It was a great conference.

Currently I have a DS Lite, Wii, a PowerBook G4 I don't play games on, and a dead PS2.

PS2 - I haven't replaced it,  but before its demise I was playing Kingdom Hearts (1 and 2), Ape Escape series, Harvest Moon series, Super Monkey Ball, and some of the Sims games.

DS - Super Mario Brothers, Animal Crossing, MarioKart, BrainAge games

Wii - Super Paper Mario (my favorite game of recent years), Big Brain Academy, Zelda, and Wii Sports Tennis

http://www.oppl.org/teensite/
monica.har...@gmail.com
mha...@oppl.org
Phone: 708-452-3429

My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Yanni Cooper

Jul 26, 2007, 6:52:57 PM7/26/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
So far I've only run one gaming event at the Library, we played Wii
sports plus a little Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, as well as some board
games (Khet, Unspeakable Words). Next month I'm borrowing a friends
DDR for the projector, and I'm going to try a small Mario Kart tourny
as well. Hopefully we can get some Apples to Apples (a card game)
going as well.

As far as myself, I'm hopelessly addicted to gaming of all sorts. I
play EVE online, except that I've been playing a TON of Heroes of
Might & Magic V on the PC. Consolewise I have pretty much everything
from the current and previous generation except for a PS3, which I'll
pick up when the new Ratchet & Clank comes out (one of my favorite
series). Overlord, Lego Star Wars II, Disgaea are getting the most
play currently, though Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, and Smash Bros all
get a pulled out when friends are over, though Wii Sports and Wario
Ware are just as likely.

On portables I've been playing playing far too much Pokèmon Diamond,
ever since I finished Puzzle Quest, Midevil on the PSP after finishing
R&C: Size Matters.

I also play a lot of tabletop games. I have far too many miniatures,
but a remarkable amount of them are painted. Warhammer Fantasy (Cult
of Slaanesh), Warhammer 40k (Tyranids, Tau, Slaanesh Chaos),
Warmachine (Khador, Cryx) OGRE Miniatures, Silent Death, BFG, B5
Miniatures. As far as CCGs I mainly play UFS currently, but I've got a
decent collection of cards from Galactic Empires, On The Edge,
Pokèmon, Anachronism, and a bunch of other. I've got a couple of
Magic: The Gathering decks as well. Then of course there's all of the
"non-collectible" games, some of my favorites are Robo-Rally,
Mag-Blast, Star-Farers of Caten (I've got Settlers too), Lunch Money,
and pretty much any Cheap Ass Game.

And I've got a follow-up question, which I'll go ahead and answer.
What game or games are you most looking forwards to?

For myself I'm really excited about Spore, though I imagine I'll have
to buy a new computer to run it. The New Smash Bros and Metroid games
are definitely on my list to pickup as soon as they're released.
There've been rumours of a new Wipeout game on the PS3, but the new
Ratchet & Clank is probably the game I'm most looking forwards to.

Yanni Cooper
Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library System
---------