Guitar Hero questions...

Janelle Joseph

Oct 15, 2007, 11:54:21 AM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

The following is a tournament proposal for possible use in the library.

Can you look over this and offer suggestions and how this can be improved upon?

Also, in your experience, what do you think is a successful tournament, how do you evaluate your gaming events? Do you pass out evaluation sheets, feedback forms, send them a link to a webform?

Thanks,

Janelle

Guitar Hero II Tournament

Possibly two divisions:
Rockers (Hard / Expert difficulty), Jr. Rockers (Medium / Hard).  Both divisions play the same way.

Rules:
-No distracting others.
-No pausing during the actual song, except to change Lefty Flip option.

Ranking:
All songs have players ranked by accuracy first, then score.  Ties on score mean a new song is done to see who gets "higher" in rank, but preserve original accuracy and score.

Competition:
Qualifier round takes place, with the song chosen in advance.  No one gets eliminated.

Main rounds:
There will be various index cards, with only a random subject to indicate what is on the card.  The cards have five songs and difficulties listed on the back.  Each player can eliminate one song: a die roll will determine which song is played.  Whoever wins that song moves on.

3rd Place:
A match for third place will take place, using the rules as above.

Final Round:
One card will be used as before, but after two songs get eliminated, the other three songs will be played, with order determined by a die roll.  Best 2 out of 3 wins.

Megan Johnson

Oct 15, 2007, 12:05:15 PM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com

This may be obvious and you have already considered it, but you may want to be aware of song length when designing your random song cards. If you plan your event to be 1 hour, for instance, you might want to make sure there aren’t too many Free Bird’s playing. ;)

When we last had our GH tournament, I looked around trying to find a listing of track length and could not, but maybe by now someone has one up online somewhere.

Megan Johnson

Teen Services Librarian

Rochester Hills Public Library

500 Olde Towne Road

Rochester, MI 48307

Phone: 248-650-5683

Fax: 248-650-7131

Richard Pruiett

Oct 15, 2007, 12:09:12 PM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
When we held a Guitar Hero Tournament here I tried to do scoring in the simplest way I could, which I found was requiring everyone to play the same 3-4 songs, and then to tally up the scores each player got for those songs.  So contestants pretty much had to stick to the difficulty that they chose at the begining of the tournament.  But they was plenty of time for free play in between songs.

For me, a successful event is seeing a decent amount of people there (at least average to above average #'s) and seeing new faces.  I don't worry about evaluation sheets and the like.  I just try to listen to what people are saying while they play and take some notes.  Plus, just talking to people is a great way to get feedback too.

-Richard Pruiett-
Circulation Clerk
Mid-Columbia Library System
Pasco Branch

Oct 15, 2007, 12:09:39 PM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Here's the Guitar Hero tournament rules I used recently.  It went pretty well.  The one thing we didn't do was publicize that this was the PS2 version, not the 360.  A number of students showed up with their own 360 guitars and were a bit disappointed.  So if you're allowing players to use their own guitars, be sure to specify which console it is.

We didn't have the resources to run more than one matchup at a time, so restricted it to one tournament.  I wish we could have broken it up into more difficulties, but that would have been time prohibitive.  But keeping the early rounds at an easier difficulty at least let everybody play who wanted to.

We left some things a little vague because we weren't sure how many people would sign up.  We had a ton!  So early rounds were cut down to just one song, and the semifinals and finals were best 2 of 3.

My favorite rule was our "no freebird" rule.  I like your idea about picking songs with cards and dice!

-Chad

----------

The tournament will be set up in a 1 vs. 1 format (face-off mode).  Early rounds will consist of a single song, and later rounds will consist of a best 2 of 3 songs format for the winner to advance to the next round.

The songs being played in each round will be determined by the participants in the round. A coin flip will be used to determine who gets first song choice. If in a later round, the loser of the coin flip will choose the 2nd song, and, in the case of a 3rd song tie-break, the tournament organizer will pick a song at random.  Songs must be chosen from the regular song list – no bonus tracks.

The winner of each song is determined solely by the number of points earned during that song.  In the event of a tie, the player with the highest percent accuracy on a song wins.  If that is also a tie, then a single round of rock/paper/scissors will determine the winner.

Each participant may select each individual song only once for the entire duration of the tournament. However, it may happen to be selected against him or her multiple times by different opponents or random tiebreakers. Freebird cannot be chosen by a player except during the championship round (and even then only once), due to time constraints.

Song difficulty will begin at the Medium level for the opening round of play, and as the tournament proceeds the difficulty level will increase to Hard, and eventually Expert.

If a player is not present when their match is called, they forfeit the round.

Tournament seeding will be determined at random by the tournament organizers after registration has closed.

Tournament will be single-elimination. Free play will be available after the completion of the tournament.

Using your own guitar controller is allowed, but subject to approval of the organizers.

The tournament structure and rules may be modified depending on the final number of entrants.

We reserve the right to disqualify anybody for being a jerk. The point of this is to have fun!

Richard Pruiett

Oct 15, 2007, 1:15:55 PM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
This is a good point and one I took into account with my tournament.  I compiled a list of most of the song lengths based on the length of the original version of the song.  So I can't swear to its accuracy (and I couldn't find lengths for all the sings at the time), but I'll throw the list at the end of the email here for those interested.  These are all for Guitar Hero 2 for the PS2, btw.

-Richard Pruiett-
Circulation Clerk
Mid-Columbia Library System
Pasco Branch

1.                  Shout at the Devil – 3:43

2.                  Mother – 3:24

3.                  Surrender – 4:16

4.                  Woman - ?????

5.                  Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight – 2:38

6.                  Strutter – 3:12

7.                  Heart Shaped Box – 4:39

8.                  Message in a Bottle – 4:51

9.                  You Really Got Me – 2:13

10.              Carry on Wayward Son – 5:25

11.              Monkey Wrench – 3:51

12.              Them Bones – 2:30

13.              Search and Destroy – 3:29

14.              Tattooed Love Boys – 2:59

15.              War Pigs – 7:57

16.              Cherry Pie – 3:20

17.              Who Was in My Room Last Night – 4:09

18.              Girlfriend – 3:40

19.              Can’t You Hear Me Knocking – 7:15

20.              Sweet Child O’ Mine – 5:55

21.              Killing In the Name – 5:14

22.              John the Fisherman – 3:53

23.              Freya - ?????

24.              Bad Reputation – 3:09

25.              Last Child – 3:27

26.              Crazy on You – 4:53

27.              Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart – 2:54

28.              Rock this Town - ?????

29.              Jessica – 7:07

30.              Stop! – 4:14

31.              Madhouse – 4:19

32.              Carry me Home - ?????

33.              Laid to Rest – 3:50

34.              Psycobilly Freakout – 2:39

35.              YYZ – 4:24

36.              Beast and the Harlot – 5:40

37.              Institutionalized – 3:49

38.              Misirlou - ?????

39.              Hangar 18 – 5:11

40.              Free Bird – 9:07

Oct 15, 2007, 1:56:36 PM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
i noticed that too! Announce 15 minutes in advance that the machines
are going off at the end of the next round.

Beth G.

--
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
___
|)__)
-"-"-
Beth Gallaway, Library Trainer / Consultant
informatio...@gmail.com
website: http://informationgoddess29.com
cell/text: 603.247.3196
AOL IM: rimeswith0range
Skype: informationgoddess29
Second Life: Cerulean Vesperia
Wii: 8757 0699 3605 2965

Beth Gallaway

Oct 15, 2007, 1:21:17 PM10/15/07
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Evaluations:
Put out a flipchart and markers, or a laptop. Ask teens to anonymously
complete the sentence, "Gaming at the library was..." I have great
quotes from teen participants that really demonstrate gaming builds
developmental assets.

Beth G