Gaming/Games related books

Robin Brenner

Jun 25, 2008, 12:38:13 PM6/25/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

I'm building a list of recommended books for the teens in our summer reading program that fit the "Game On" theme.  I've got a pretty good list so far, but I wondered -- do you all have any additions?  I'm fine with titles that will appeal to gamers, but may not actually have games in them.:

Here's what I've got so far, from various lists:
Bloor, Edward. Crusader *
Card, Orson Scott. Ender's Game *
Fredericks, Mariah. Head Games *
Gallagher, Fred. MegaTokyo * (any volume)
Hamazaki, Tatzuya. .hack//G.U.+ *
Holkins, Jerry. Penny Arcade: Attack of the Bacon Robots *
Horowitz, Anthony. Eagle Strike *
Hughes, Monica. Invitation to the Game *
Knaak, Richard. Warcraft: The Sunwell Trilogy *
Lubar, David. Dunk *
Lubar, David. Wizards of the Game *
Rei, Izumi. .hack//Legends of the Twilight *
Skurzynski, Gloria. Virtual War *
Sleator, William. Interstellar Pig *
Sleator, William. Parasite Pig *
Stephenson, Neal. Snow Crash *
Vande Velde, Vivian. Heir Apparent *
Vande Velde, Vivian. User Unfriendly *
Weiss, D. B. Lucky Wander Boy *
Werlin, Nancy. Locked Inside *
Anderson, M. T. Feed *
Kostick, Conor. Epic *

Nonfiction
Author. Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Pop Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter *
Author. Writing for Animation, Comics and Games *
Author. Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals *
Author. Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth about Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do *
Salen, Katie and Eric Zimmerman. The Game Design Reader: A Rules of Play Anthology *
Author. Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture *
Cooper, Robbie. Alter Ego: Avatars and Their Creators *

Thanks all!

cheers,
Robin B.

--
Robin Brenner, Reference/Teen Librarian, Brookline Public Library
617-730-2370 * rbre...@minlib.net

Jami Schwarzwalder

Jun 25, 2008, 2:23:40 PM6/25/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
I've created some lists for our library system online at http://www.piercecountylibrary.org/booklists.aspx?cat_id=31&type=category

CJ Ovalle

Jun 25, 2008, 2:27:12 PM6/25/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
To add to the nonfiction list, Dungeons & Dreamers: the Rise of the Computer Gaming Culture from Geek to Chic by Brad King and John Borland is pretty good, and I believe they're coming out with a new edition soon. Jerry Holkins and, Mike Krahulik have three other books after Attack of the Bacon Robots; Epic Legend of the Magic Sword, The Warsun Prophesies, and Birds are Weird. An oldie but goodie nonfiction book with a bit more academic bent is Sherry Turkle's Life on the Screen. I'll see if I can find anything at home later. ^_^

Carlos Ovalle

Beth Gallaway

Jun 25, 2008, 3:27:34 PM6/25/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com

These are great suggestions! I started to add titles and links to lists at http://gaming.ala.org/resources - Please contribute and I'll compile, tho anyone is welcome to add to the wiki.

I wrote about Music Books for Gamers in May at http://gaming.ala.org/news/2008/05/27/books-for-gamers

Thanks!

Beth

504 Ocean Blvd #1 Hampton NH 03842
informatio...@gmail.com
website: http://informationgoddess.info
cell/text: 603.247.3196
AOL IM:  rimeswith0range
Skype: informationgoddess29
Second Life: Cerulean Vesperia
Twitter: infogdss29
Wii: 8757 0699 3605 2965

John Scalzo

Jun 25, 2008, 4:42:28 PM6/25/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
I like the poetry collection Blue Wizard is About to Die by Seth "Fingers" Flynn Barkan. I've also heard good things about the Halo series of novels.

Gordon Gavin

Jun 25, 2008, 6:59:12 PM6/25/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Masters of Doom by David Kushner.  It's about the guys who made the original DOOM.  Probably only interesting to old people in their 20's like me now though!

Gordon Gavin
Library Assistant
Youth/Teen Services
Northern Lights Branch
gga...@columbuslibrary.org
(614) 479-3247

>>> "Robin Brenner" <brkte...@gmail.com> 6/25/2008 12:38 PM >>>

Brian Looker

Jun 26, 2008, 11:03:42 AM6/26/08
to LibG...@googlegroups.com
Also by Conor Kostick is Saga, pub'd this year.

Believe John Scalzo about the Halo books--I've had to replace The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund three times (just checked, fourth replacement coming).

Other manga, based on games, include Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Devil May Cry 3. I'm sure there are others.

Jon Gibson's I am 8-bit is a neat book of art based on 80's games.

I know it's older, but Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six was, if I recall, based on the game he helped design, not the other way around. There's also a Splinter Cell series.

Also older, and of questionable quality but moderate interest, is S. D. Perry's Resident Evil series.

I may post more later--I've been gathering a mental list for a bit.

Brian Looker

> These are great suggestions! I started to add titles and links to lists at
> http://gaming.ala.org/resources - Please contribute and I'll compile, tho
> anyone is welcome to add to the wiki.
>
> I wrote about Music Books for Gamers in May at
> http://gaming.ala.org/news/2008/05/27/books-for-gamers
>
> Thanks!
>
> Beth
>

> On 6/25/08, CJ Ovalle <xel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > To add to the nonfiction list, Dungeons & Dreamers: the Rise of the
> > Computer Gaming Culture from Geek to Chic by Brad King and John Borland is
> > pretty good, and I believe they're coming out with a new edition soon. Jerry

> > Holkins and, Mike Krahulik have three other books after Attack of the Bacon

> > Robots; Epic Legend of the Magic Sword, The Warsun Prophesies, and Birds are
> > Weird. An oldie but goodie nonfiction book with a bit more academic bent is
> > Sherry Turkle's Life on the Screen. I'll see if I can find anything at home
> > later. ^_^
> >
> > Carlos Ovalle
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Robin Brenner <brkte...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> --
> ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
> ___
> {o,o}
> |)__)
> -"-"-
> Beth Gallaway, Library Trainer / Consultant

> 504 Ocean Blvd #1 Hampton NH 03842
> informatio...@gmail.com
> website: http://informationgoddess.info
> cell/text: 603.247.3196