hot to increase stepdownload time in web service protocol

kantha

Mar 14, 2011, 1:16:28 PM3/14/11
to LoadRunner
hot to increase stepdownload time in web service protocol

John Crunk

Mar 14, 2011, 2:05:10 PM3/14/11
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
What the hell is this? A question? A statement? An answer? A thought? (nope not that, doesn't seem to be any thought to this at all

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:16 PM, kantha <kanth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hot to increase stepdownload time in web service protocol

James Pulley

Mar 14, 2011, 2:30:32 PM3/14/11
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
You need to add a section to the run time settings which does not come with
the web services protocol by default. To do this you need to modify the
.lrp file associated with the web services protocol, WS_SOAP.lrp. This file
is located in

<LoadRunner Home Directory>\dat\protocols

Go to the section commented, '; Runtime Settings'

On the CFG_TAB_DLL line, add the following element to the end of the line,
",LrwRunTimeSettingsUI.dll'

Save and restart VUGEN.

This will add the [internet protocol] section to your web services run time
settings tab, including access to preferences and advanced options for
request and receive timeout.

Note: This change puts your Web services virtual user into a model that may
be untested and unsupported by the vendor, so if you call in for support all
bets are off as to whether they can support you if you add this
functionality. You may want to comment your changes in the .lrp file in
question and allow for an easy way to back out the changes to the original
line. You also face the high risk of having this file overwritten when you
upgrade your copy of LoadRunner, having the functionality disappear. As a
secondary path you might consider the use of a web_custom_request() inside
of a standard http virtual user with your SOAP body. You will need to add
a SOAP header, but this model works quite well.

If you have web services calls going beyond 120 seconds, the standard for
HTTP connect and receive timeout, then you may want to find out the reason
for the delay on the system. Many people think increasing the timeout to a
level that prevents errors from showing up is a desirable thing because
explaining why an error is occurring is difficult while it is easy to just
change the standard so the error does not occur. In this case you will have
to balance this desire to increase the timeout with the knowledge that the
end user may be unable to increase their timeout on their client, so the
extended timeout behavior can fall into a realm of not-representative of
client behavior.

This same question was asked in the LoadRunner Yahoo Group forum in April
19-20, 2009, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LoadRunner/message/29305

So, you have the tool mechanics to change the behavior of the web services
virtual user along with the caveats on supportability and process.

James Pulley, http://www.loadrunnerbythehour.com/PricingMatrix

kantharaja t

Mar 14, 2011, 10:37:44 PM3/14/11
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com, James Pulley
@James Pulley

thanks a lot and its working,

My understandings and please correct me if i am wrong
1. we will note be able to increase Stepdownload time  with the existing runtime setting of webservice
2. if i increase the stepdownload time using Above Method by changing the "WS_SOAP.lrp" may not work in controller

Thanks,
Kantha

--
Thanks and Regards
 Kantharaja

James Pulley

Mar 15, 2011, 9:06:34 AM3/15/11
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com

1.        You should be able to change this setting for any script.  If it is an old script just open it up, change the setting and retest the script to ensure that it works

2.       You would have to make the changes to the .lrp file on any platform you wish to make the interface changes on   So, if you want to change the settings in the controller, then you would need to make the change on the controller host and the vugen host.   The safes method is to take your changed .lrp file and apply it to all other LoadRunner software instances (controller, vugen, generator, etc,..)

This does change how and what the vendor can support you on.   If you call in with a question on the timeout functionality for your web services virtual user you are likely to receive a blast of deafening silence from the other end of the line as the person hits their mute button and stares confusingly at a run time settings dialog which does not have what yours now has.   They will also likely ask you to remove the additions before they are able to assist you in many cases.   So, you do face considerable risk of limited support with this model.

You may want to consider finding out why it is slow instead of changing the standard for slow so it doesn’t error as much.   Timeout errors such as this are like pain from a sprained ankle.   It is feedback telling you, the tester, that something is awry and you should examine it more closely.

James Pulley, http://www.loadrunnerbythehour.com/PricingMatrix