Random Movie Club

tgoddess

Jun 27, 2007, 12:37:09 PM6/27/07
to Joe Bob's Trailer Park
Just thought I'd give a little pimp to my friend's blog...he has seen
more movies than any one person I know and this INCLUDES Joe Bob. The
movies/reviews run the gamut of genres, so there's something there for
just about everybody and I trust his opinion 110%.

It's a way cool site and a nifty concept.

And if you live in the El Lay area, you DEFINITELY need to check it
out.

http://randommovieclub.blogspot.com/

Hank

Jun 27, 2007, 1:21:50 PM6/27/07
to Joe Bob's Trailer Park

Wow...Goddess you were right. That's a good review site. I like his
choice of stuff in the archives.

ThomasBauduret

Jun 27, 2007, 5:32:55 PM6/27/07
to Joe-Bobs-T...@googlegroups.com
Considering some discussions, some of you might like to read this.
Feels a bit far-fetched to me. I'm no a US citizens, and I got most right (I
flunked on rappers and TV people. And heather Mills. Still no idea who she
is.) But I concur about the culture of ignorance spreading in our perfect
Western worldŠ

Thomas

> [...]
> our national history, or our system of government. More than twenty years
> ago, I administered a different little quiz to my own community college
> students up in Washington State, and the resulting answers were equally
> dismal, with lots of students not able to say which century the American
> Civil War took place. Students thought Calcutta was in Canada, and that Camp
> David was in Israel. They also thought that Ralph Nader was a baseball
> player, and J. Edgar Hoover invented the vacuum cleaner. A majority could
> not date the year Christ was born within a hundred years, though lots of
> them were vocal in professing their status as born-again Christians. On
> blank maps of the world, foreign nations were sometimes placed within the
> continental boundaries of the United States; ie., Kansas was misidentified
> as Poland. And, among the potpourri of bad answers were these: Darwin
> invented gravity. Andy Warhol wrote War and Peace, Timothy Leary was
> Secretary of Defense in the then-current Reagan administration, Winston
> Churchill was a French comedian, and Nagasaki was in Viet Nam. Student
> estimates of the population of the planet or the United States of America
> were wildly off the mark—both high and low. (Ten billion was not an uncommon
> guess at the population of these United States.) And though Beirut, Lebanon
> had just been bombed by the U.S. at the time the quiz was given, students
> had no idea what country that city was located in, placing it all over the
> globe.
>
> When the results of my little quiz were published in Newsweek and later
> profiled on 60 Minutes, I received hundreds upon hundreds of letters from
> college professors throughout the nation who reported similar findings.
>
> So, the idea that the nation is going to hell in a handbasket woven of
> ignorance is hardly news. The teacher who administered my more recent quiz
> to her students says: "I am trying to think about who I was when I was their
> ages. And truth be told, I am betting I would have made similar mistakes as
> well. Of course, though, if we were in a war, I would like to think I would
> know a few more of the key players than what my students guessed. But who's
> to say? It's so easy to tune out the news."
>
> And she's right about that, of course. It is easy to tune out the news in a
> culture that doesn't value the idea of an informed citizenry, and in a
> nation where no one any longer needs to feel embarrassment about personal
> ignorance.
>
> But perhaps if we placed a higher value on knowing things, and if we did a
> better job of preparing people to prize and practice democracy here at home,
> we might be a bit more prudent about attempting to impose that system of
> government by force on people far from our shores. Ignorance isn't bliss.
> We've paid a high price for ignorance in recent years, and that bill has yet
> to be totaled up, let alone paid in full.

tgoddess

Jun 27, 2007, 9:07:39 PM6/27/07
to Joe Bob's Trailer Park
Glad you like it. If you're interested in showing up at a RMC night,
let me know and I'll be happy to facilitate an intro with my buddy.

rich

Jul 1, 2007, 10:49:55 AM7/1/07
to Joe Bob's Trailer Park
http://www.adambaran.net/

another fun movie blog from our friend Adam. Fun pics & videos
posted.