New User Group: The Next Big JDK Thing

QuikDraw

Jan 15, 2008, 8:44:55 AM1/15/08
to JavaMUG-...@googlegroups.com
Howdy Folks,

As announced in my previous email, and at last week's JavaMUG meeting, a new
user group looking into The Next Big JDK Thing will be starting this month. We
will be looking at the new innovations of languages besides Java that run in
the JVM, that can also leverage existing Java infrastructures which businesses
have spent $Millions making the backbone of their IT environments. We'll start
spelunking with Groovy.

In addition, we'll try to innovate during this quest by using a Test Driven
Learning approach to exploring these new languages and technologies. We'll
start by getting the Groovy environment setup, and then jump write in by
learning how to write tests first. We'll even go further toward the edge by
mixing some group presentation and some hands on aspects in groups of two or
three.

We'll be starting at 6:30 pm on Thursday night. The nice folks at Improving
Enterprises have volunteered their facilities. Make sure you get there before
7:00 pm since the doors lock by then. Bring your laptops preloaded with Groovy
if possible. For those who don't get it loaded, show up a little early and
we'll get you setup.

Directions:
Improving Enterprises, 15950 Dallas Parkway, Suite 500, Dallas, TX 75248
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=15950+Dallas+Pkwy,+Dallas,+TX+75248,+USA&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

Installation:
Groovy (http://groovy.codehaus.org)

I'm listing the proposed schedule for 2008 below. Several folks have responded
that they would be willing to help co-present a topic or two. Please come
prepared Thursday to sign up so we can get things rolling!

2008 Topics/Speakers
- Jan: Groovy (Install & Overview)
- Feb: TDL Groovy Basics
- Mar: TDL Groovy Object Relational Model (GORM)
- Apr: TDL Groovy Server Pages (GSPs)
- May: TDL Grails
- Jun: JRuby (Install & Overview)
- Jul: TDL JRuby Basics
- Aug: TDL More JRuby
- Sep: TDL Ruby on Rails
- Oct: JavaFX (F3) (Install & Overview)
- Nov: TDL JavaScript (built into Java6 based on Rhino)
- Dec: Fortress (If we decide to meet...)

I'm looking forward to exploring some new territory in a new way. See you there!

Thanks, Derek
--- The Gunslinger
quik...@GunslingerSoftware.com

joncfoo

Jan 16, 2008, 11:33:46 AM1/16/08
to JavaMUG-Announce
There is no date mentioned in the post so I am assuming it is this
Thursday, 1/17?

Jonathan