Beware the "No Media Tribunal" twibbon

Dominic Tweedie

Aug 23, 2010, 7:10:31 AM8/23/10
to infoac...@googlegroups.com
Beware the "No Media Tribunal" twibbon

From: alternativ...@googlegroups.com [mailto:alternativ...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Murray Hunter
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:59 PM
To: Alternative Media ZA
Subject: [Alternative Media] Beware the "No Media Tribunal" twibbon

Friends,

Those of you on Twitter and Facebook may have encountered the "No Media Tribunal" twibbon (an icon that can be attached to your profile pic that advertises your resistance to the proposed Media Tribunal).

If you have joined or would consider joining, I would like to caution you. I recently encountered the person who instigated this campaign, and I am not impressed with his position at all. You may support whatever campaign you wish, but I do not believe the views behind the campaign instigator are compatible with anyone who supports media diversity and development.

Read his blog post here discussing the campaign. I have posted a lengthy response at the bottom, but here is the summary:

* He uncritically endorses a comparison of Jacob Zuma to Hitler and Mugabe (a bit alarmist if you ask me, not exactly contributing to an intelligent debate)
* Seems to have conflated the Media Appeals Tribunal with the Protection of Information Bill.
* He does not engage with shortcomings of the current media landscape. I share the views of the AIDC when it says that as we critique the ANC's position on media regulation we also need to understand where media institutions are failing the public, and what needs to be done to create media access for all.
* He is strongly resistant to the idea of ANC ideology being instilled in media institutions, but does not consider that these media institutions might already be under the sway of an ideology of sorts.

I also pointed out the inaccuracy of applying the word "grassroots" to a campaign targeting Twitter, which is used by 0.11% of South Africans (55,000). That's a pretty small patch of grass, if you ask me!

His response was:
"Grassroots is not related to socio-economic circumstances or to media penetration. If you want to see how the 'grassroots' movements of the underrepresented poor deal with campaigning, look no further than the public sector strike. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for them. They must root each other out to make place for decent human beings worthy of respect in South Africa."

Well then. I guess we should save the poor from themselves...

This person clearly believes passionately in his campaign, and has taken a proactive involvement in what he stands for. As is his right. However, the massive outcry against ANC proposals on press regulation has created a situation whereby people of all political stripes are temporarily aligned on the same axis of purpose. This can be both a positive or negative thing. You may agree with the campaign even while you disagree with this guy's personal ideology. However, I wished to alert you to that ideology so that you can make an informed choice.

Best wishes,

Murray

The Meercat Corruption Project