How do you stay informed of SEM?

Corey

Jan 8, 2008, 3:02:25 PM1/8/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
I just wrote a long post of all the sources I read and follow to stay
informed.

Got anything you like? What did I miss? What do you do?

Chris

Jan 9, 2008, 7:08:00 AM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
I just subscribe to thejunglemap feed & wait for an awesome post that
tells me all the best feeds/podcasts to subscribe to. Awesome post!
I have alot to read/listen to now!

Karen

Jan 9, 2008, 7:33:01 AM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
Thanks so much for the list, Corey! At this point, I mostly read the
posts on this Hippo Group, thejunglemap and your personal blog when I
remember to read it. I have a lot to read/listen to now too!

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see WebMarketing Now/Jerry West on
your list. Do you still recommend him/them?

Chris

Jan 9, 2008, 8:16:51 AM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
There is one cool blog I like because googles' so big -
googlinggoogle. This guy looks at the code in google and sees where
they're adding new things so he knows way before anyone else.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/ Garret Rodgers.

Corey

Jan 9, 2008, 8:45:26 AM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
Yes, I definitely follow Jerry West, but his information is mostly
closed to the public.

Chris

Jan 9, 2008, 9:03:28 AM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
Almost forgot: blogcount: http://www.dijest.com/bc/ Blogcount tracks
statistics about the "blogosphere," including how many blogs there are
in the world, what the demographics of bloggers are, where they live,
and what platforms they use.

On Jan 9, 7:16 am, Chris <cje1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is one cool blog I like because googles' so big -
> googlinggoogle.  This guy looks at the code in google and sees where
> they're adding new things so he knows way before anyone else.http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/Garret Rodgers.
>
> On Jan 9, 6:33 am, Karen <klma...@charter.net> wrote:
>

> > Thanks so much for the list, Corey!  At this point, I mostly read the
> > posts on this Hippo Group, thejunglemap and your personal blog when I
> > remember to read it.  I have a lot to read/listen to now too!
>
> > Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see WebMarketing Now/Jerry West on
> > your list.  Do you still recommend him/them?- Hide quoted text -

Jason Dockery

Jan 9, 2008, 9:11:29 AM1/9/08
to Hip...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 9, 2008 9:03 AM, Chris <cje...@gmail.com> wrote:

Almost forgot:  blogcount:  http://www.dijest.com/bc/ Blogcount tracks
statistics about the "blogosphere," including how many blogs there are
in the world, what the demographics of bloggers are, where they live,
and what platforms they use.

Chris,
Blogcount: http://www.dijest.com/bc/ hasn't been updated in almost 3 years.  I think I'd move that one down the favorites list.

Corey

Jan 9, 2008, 4:06:47 PM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
What in the world? You follow a blog that has not been updated since
2005?

Anyone else read or follow anything that helps them keep up with
search engines and/or marketing? Anyone follow Jill Whalen? I left
her off for now. I used to follow her, but most of her writing is for
beginners.

wes

Jan 9, 2008, 10:10:08 PM1/9/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
I posted this on the regular blog, but thought I'd join this one and
re-post since it seems that's where everyone is:

This is very true...you can't read everything. I have a tough time with
that. I actually take bits and pieces of a lot of different feeds,
newsletter, magazines, and a couple of books/e-books. Now, I've got
even more to read! I check out some of the above and then also some
others not mentioned (some of which are kind of beginner stuff, but
yet practical and good to have re-iterated to me): Ralph Wilson
newsletter, Stompernet has good videos (but beware of the sales
pitch), Mr. SEO podcasts are a lot of fun, Michael Campbell sometimes
will surprise you with some good offline stuff, SiteProNews, and Matt
Cutts blog. Practical E-Commerce is a pretty good magazine and SEO for
Dummies book is not bad, but a little outdated (albeit some of the
info still pertinent). Lastly, Dan Thies has a pretty good free e-
book.

Corey

Jan 10, 2008, 9:59:11 AM1/10/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
Hi Wes and WELCOME!

(Feel free to drop a note that describes your business. I'm sure
there are others here that would find it interesting, as I have.)

Corey

glaikit

Jan 12, 2008, 4:44:47 PM1/12/08
to Hippo Internet Marketing Discussion
Sorry I've been out of the loop and not participating as much as I
should!
I have subscriptions to a number of e-newsletters, everything from
webproworld to webmasterworld to searchenginemarketing to
highrankingsadvisor. I scan the e-newsletters VERY quickly for any
question or point that seems pertinent... trash it if I don't.

I often visit Corey's thejunglemap.com in addition to checking out ALL
posts on this group.

I only wish I had more time to follow up on some of the advice and
good links and tips - separating the wheat from the chaff is the
hardest part, especially when you're on a tight time budget.

I never bother buying books :-)

I use my own "experience" as one of my best guides, as well as reading
the latest news posted directly from Google (and sometimes Yahoo.)

I ought to subscribe to Matt Cutt's RSS.

Just when I was ready to fork over the dough for West, he shut down
public access to most of his info and membership is now "by
invigtation only." Too bad because his data is good.

Fiona