Patch-tag.com launch: project hosting for darcs

Thomas Hartman

Jan 21, 2009, 8:35:15 PM1/21/09
to darcs...@darcs.net, HA...@googlegroups.com, haskell...@googlegroups.com
Fellow darcs users, I would like to announce my project community
hosting site for darcs.

http://patch-tag.com

Patch-tag is in limited beta at the moment. I have no idea how well it
will scale with a lot of users, so for now I am going to stop
enrollment after 100 users.

Patch-tag works with darcs 1 and darcs 2 repos, but from my experience
performance is a lot better with darcs 2, so I encourage everyone to
use v2 where possible.

Patch-tag is built on a haskell stack: haskell, happs, macid. While
trolling the web for new users, I will probably blog about the pros
and cons of using this new and exciting but not yet well-battle-tested
technology. My happs evangelism website happstutorial.com is a good
place to learn about this, and in fact patch-tag probably shares >75%
of code with happstutorial if anybody out there would like to follow
in my footsteps with other happs "2.0" commerciall-y sites.

Among other things, I hope that patch-tag will gain traction as a
community site for haskell users, darcs users, and other denizens of
the fp underground. For those of you who would like a closer glimpse
behind the scenes at what is going on, I also extend invitations to
join my private google group haskell-startup.

Patch-tag also appears to have found its first customer: it is being
used as the project hosting site for Matt Elder's fork of the happs
project, which was also announced today:

http://happstack.com/

So everybody please cheer Matt for pulling the trigger on this as well.

Happy hacking!

Thomas.

Simon Michael

Jan 21, 2009, 8:42:17 PM1/21/09
to ha...@googlegroups.com, darcs...@darcs.net
Very nice. Congratulations and thanks!

Matthew Elder

Jan 21, 2009, 8:46:04 PM1/21/09
to haskell...@googlegroups.com, darcs...@darcs.net, HA...@googlegroups.com
Hooray! Finally the git-mongers of the world will be matched by an equally powerful dscm :)
--
Matthew Elder
Mr. Handsome

Gwern Branwen

Jan 22, 2009, 9:28:28 PM1/22/09
to Trent W. Buck, darcs...@darcs.net, ha...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Hartman

Jan 23, 2009, 12:53:28 PM1/23/09
to Gwern Branwen, Trent W. Buck, darcs...@darcs.net, ha...@googlegroups.com
> 'Tag! Your repo is it!'

That is kind of what I was going for, without being too obvious about it :)

Coding is fun.

Happy hacking :)

thomas.

Joachim Breitner

Jan 27, 2009, 1:10:28 PM1/27/09
to HA...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Am Mittwoch, den 21.01.2009, 17:35 -0800 schrieb Thomas Hartman:
> Fellow darcs users, I would like to announce my project community
> hosting site for darcs.
>
> http://patch-tag.com
>
> Patch-tag is in limited beta at the moment. I have no idea how well it
> will scale with a lot of users, so for now I am going to stop
> enrollment after 100 users.

do you know about darcswatch?
http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/
http://darcs.nomeata.de/darcswatch/documentation.html

May I suggest that you consider setting up a darcswatch instance on
patch-tag that tracks all public repositories hosted there. You could
also provide e-mail aliases for each repository (that forward to the
owner, or may be reconfigured to forward somewhere else), that are
published in _darcs/prefs/email, to automatically track all submissions
to repositories on patch-tag.com.

Greetings,
Joachim

PS: I could not post this to the haskell-startup list, because I’m using
a different Sender: than my From: address, although both of them were
added to the google mail account that is listed as a subscriber to the
list – mailman is great, BTW :-)

--
Joachim Breitner
e-Mail: ma...@joachim-breitner.de

signature.asc

tphyahoo

Jan 27, 2009, 3:53:14 PM1/27/09
to HAppS
Thanks for the suggestion, Joachim.

Wasn't aware of darcswatch till your email. Well, I'd heard of it but
didn't look into it too closely.

I'll try and have a closer look now.

thomas.