New York City Parents Union Sounds Off Against Assembly member Hakeem Jeffries

Julie Cavanagh

Jul 22, 2011, 3:27:20 PM7/22/11
to Ed news, GEM Internal, Gemlistserve, Cape

Jul 22, 2011, 4:35:22 PM7/22/11
to julie...@hotmail.com, Ed news, GEM Internal, Gemlistserve, Cape
The institutional mass and velocity, the money and the political
juice, behind charter schools are so powerful that all but the most
courageous elected or appointed officials - Bill Perkins, Charles
Barron, Tony Avella, Patrick Sullivan - are unable to resist it.

Wouldn't you just love to be a fly on the wall when these pols (Di
Blasio, Jeffries, et. al.) get their, "Listen here, sonny, this is how
it's going to be..." lecture?

Or as John Huston's (homicidal, incestuous, scheming) character says
to Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown" (as he's delving into the dark heart
of the water/real estate expropriations in early 20th century LA):
"You may think you know what you're getting into, but believe me, you
don't."

Yes, they must all get that little talking to.

The country has been stripped of its productive capacity, and with it
the ability to produce legitimate - full-time, paying a living wage,
with health and pension benefits - employment. With the hollowing out
of the economy, public education budgets are one of the Final
Frontiers for privatizing, monetizing (and ultimately stripping and
looting) assets, formerly public assets that were under community and
democratic control, however imperfect. And in order to complete this
postmodern Enclosure Movement, the teachers must be broken as a force
to defend public education. Thus, the school closings and
reorganizations, and charter invasions, and cascading demands for
bullshit accountability busywork, all intended to keep the workforce
off-balance, ever on the defensive, and increasingly demoralized.

Props to Mona and Julie.

Michael Fiorillo

> Jeffries testified: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXfJKq-0uww>

> "Many of our schools remain separate and unequal". At that time,
> parents and community members were impressed and grateful.
>
> Specifically, in calling for a "time-out" for the Department of
> Education, Mr. Jeffries said: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXfJKq-0uww
> > "The Department of Education needs to be put on time out...They
> have refused to hear our voices, the school closure policy of the
> Department of Education is out of control. <http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-16/local/29149292_1_school-closure-school-options-mayor-bloomberg
> > "
>

> In a March NY Daily News interview, Mr. Jeffries said: <http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-16/local/29149292_1_school-closure-school-options-mayor-bloomberg

> > "The Department of Education has been on a school closure binge
> for the last several years without any meaningful evidence that this
> policy benefits students."
>
> The NYC Parents Union and local parents are wondering what has
> happened to Mr. Jeffries and to Mr. de Blasio. Mr. de Blasio is
> clearly desperate for campaign funds in pursuit of the Mayoralty and
> is hoping to hook big donors in the charter school field. It would
> be most unfortunate if Mr. Jeffries thinks that his road to Congress
> needs to be paved with gold from the charter school money players
> hotlist <https://secure.actblue.com/page/dferhotlist> rather than
> with votes from the people in his Assembly District.
>
> The NYC Parents Union is keeping score of politicians' behaviors and
> positions. All elected officials will be held accountable if they
> choose to abandon their previous commitment to quality public
> education for all children.
>
> ###
>

> --
> .

antoi...@aol.com

Jul 22, 2011, 5:15:52 PM7/22/11
to julie...@hotmail.com, nyceduca...@yahoogroups.com, GEM-In...@googlegroups.com, Grassroots...@googlegroups.com, capedu...@googlegroups.com
Politicians for the most part are political prostitutes and will do anything including betrayals to get what they want. It is our autonomous/independent struggles on the streets only that will produce our desired results.

Antoine

was already located.  Mr. Jeffries testified:  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXfJKq-0uww>