zip compression of compiled javascript

bruciadmin

Jul 24, 2006, 9:29:05 PM7/24/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone is using compression when the compiled
javascript libraries (the ones called "${Hash}.cache.html") are being
sent over the wire. This may already be happening, but I can't figure
out where in Tomcat to check/set this. I've seen a few articles which
talk about GZip servlet filters but I think this probably falls more
inside server configuration.... might be better to check on the tomcat
lists... but this list is so nice and lively: )

Cheers,

David L

mcoruh

Jul 25, 2006, 2:28:54 AM7/25/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi David,

I can tell you how I did for tomcat 5.5

in the ......\Tomcat 5.5\conf\server.xml find the "<Connector" tag and
it should be like that

<Connector
port="80" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"
connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
compression="on"
compressionMinSize="2048"
noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"
compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml" />

infact evertything is clear on the comments of xml.

georgeuoa

Jul 25, 2006, 2:35:06 AM7/25/06
to Google Web Toolkit
On the other hand, if you look up RemoteServiceServlet.java, there is a
lot of code dealing with GZIP, so I guess GWT does this by default.

A further interesting question would be, can browsers submit zipped
content?

bruciadmin

Jul 25, 2006, 8:00:56 PM7/25/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm currently testing on Tomcat 4.1.31, and remember reading a post
that from Tomcat 5 onwards it used compression. Apart from trying to be
as compatible as possible, I don't really have a great need to stay
with version 4, so this could be the thing which pushes me to go to 5.

Great news to hear that it's relatively easy to do... I don't know why,
but I've never really learned much about the configuration of Tomcat,
my bag of tricks is still stuck on Apache version 1... might be time to
trade that ol' bag in.

Thanks for your post: )