how to clear cache on windows hosted mode

mooreds

Sep 23, 2008, 1:01:28 PM9/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi folks,

I am looking for how to clear the hosted mode browsers cache. In
particular, I'm interested in clearing out the CSS and script tag
content--I'm using some dynamic JSON that I want to make sure is not
cached.

I found one post a month ago that was asking how to do the same thing
for Linux: http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/9e3a64304d2a01cd

I searched the documentation on the GWT website and didn't see
anything.

I also tried deleting the cache of the IE browser on the machine, but
wasn't sure if that did anything.

Thanks,
Dan

Ian Bambury

Sep 23, 2008, 2:28:43 PM9/23/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
It does rather depend what you think is being cached and why. For exanple, if you are changing a file to UTF-8, you need to make a change in that file so GWT will know to recompile that class, but, you can try all or any of these (I'm assuming because of the IE reference, you are on Windows):

1) Highlight the project in Eclipse and hit F5 to ensure that Eclipse is in sync with the file system

2) Project | Clean to rebuild the project (useful if you have flagged errors you know aren't errors)

3) Delete the IE cache

4) Delete the bin/tomcat/www directories in the project (and also any other project which uses the same package names)

5) In the problem class, add a space somewhere (or take the space away - anything to flag the file as changed).

6) Restart Eclipse (this is a 'what the hell else is there to try' measure for me, as is a reboot)

7) Sacrifice something to the gods of the cache. A can of lager is my preferred offering. If the god in question doesn't drink it, don't waste it. Coffee and a doughnut is a second rate substitute if your company frowns on the consumption of alcohol before 9.30am.

mooreds

Sep 23, 2008, 5:15:12 PM9/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response; I am on Windows.

To be more specific, I'm pulling data in from another server via JSONP
in the manner described in this article:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=65632&topic=11368

I've found that the <script> tag content tends to be cached by IE.

I just retried deleting the cache in IE browser and that did the
trick--the hosted browser pulled the script tag content on refresh.

Dan

PS "The gods of the cache"! Classic. Sometimes it sure does feel as
if caching is ruled by capricious deities.