GWT/JSF integration library landed in Ajax4JSF SVN

Rob Jellinghaus

Jun 22, 2007, 4:11:38 AM6/22/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello folks. For a while now I've been working on integrating Seam,
GWT, and JSF. The Ajax4JSF project's GWTJSF integration library was
the starting point. I drove the GWT 1.4 RPC refactorings in order to
make the GWTJSF library handle RPC more flexibly. Once those
refactorings landed, I was able to update the GWTJSF library to use
them.

Now that GWT 1.4.10 has shipped, I've finally finished integrating
those changes into the main Ajax4JSF code tree. So you can now pull a
working, GWT 1.4-compliant, buildable-from-Maven GWTJSF library from
the Ajax4JSF Subversion repository.

More details in this post: http://blog.robjsoftware.org/2007/06/landed.html

There's more coming soon, stay tuned ;-)
Cheers!
Rob
--> http://robjsoftware.org

charlie...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2007, 9:52:49 AM6/22/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Nice work Rob, very useful stuff.

Sanjiv Jivan

Jun 22, 2007, 10:33:11 AM6/22/07
to Google Web Toolkit
I don't get the point of this integration. GWT's philosophy is client
side component and event handling with the server only passing data
(GWT-RPC, json, XML) back and forth to the client. While JSF is
focused on server side components and events. What advantages do you
see in throwing JSF in the mix instead of just building an app with
GWT that communicates with Java services that are built using Spring
and Hibernate?

Sanjiv

Rob Jellinghaus

Jun 22, 2007, 4:53:59 PM6/22/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Please read my article for more on this:

http://unrealities.com/seamgwt/article_0.2.html

Short version: If all you need is an AJAX application, then
absolutely, use GWT only. But if you need other non-AJAX server-side
functionality (for searchability, or authentication), or if you are
building part of a portal or larger site implemented in JSF but you
still want to use GWT for some parts of your UI, then this integration
is very useful to you.

Absolutely I agree that JSF's server-side state management is contrary
to the GWT philosophy, that there is a lot of overlap between the two
technologies, and that many GWT apps have no need for JSF.

Cheers!
Rob

Sanjiv Jivan

Jun 22, 2007, 5:22:29 PM6/22/07