GWT 1.4 FINAL Release

mseele

Aug 2, 2007, 3:39:52 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi all,

doe's anybody know when GWT 1.4 FINAL will be released? How stable is
RC 1?

thanks
mseele

Zbój

Aug 2, 2007, 4:54:23 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
RC1 is quite stable. However there are still some problems. For
example, you shouldn't use native Javascript (JSNI) since it works
only in MSIE without problems.

sanny...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2007, 5:21:39 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit

JSNI works fine for me everywhere.

It's cornerstone of GWT ;-)

Sean Keeney

Aug 2, 2007, 5:37:28 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
No idea. The only thing I need from the next release is a reliable
richtextarea, which I think is a more general problem with onload()
events being called before widgets are attached. Apart from that, the
current RC is all good.

matthew chong

Aug 2, 2007, 7:11:38 AM8/2/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Don't you know the practice of Google ?
It will always be beta not release verson.

So software of Google will always be in Gota version !

mseele

Aug 2, 2007, 7:46:27 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
> Don't you know the practice of Google ?
> It will always be beta not release verson.

i know. it was no question about GWT leaf's its beta status.
i only wanted to know if the RC of 1.4 is usable for production
releases or if i should wait for 1.4 FINAL.
we now use 1.3.3 but i read that 1.4 will be a lot faster and
generates smaller javascript-code (10-20% size improvements) and that
sounds good.

thank's anyway.

Sean Keeney

Aug 2, 2007, 7:51:08 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Bar the one issue mentioned, 1.4 has been incredibly stable for me.

I haven't really noticed speed improvements however, but that may be
down to us not using some of the new features like imagebundles, yet.

Ian Bambury

Aug 2, 2007, 8:05:21 AM8/2/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
One thing to note is that in 1.4.10, setStyleName/removeStyleName have been changed to work in a different way which might break your app. In the next release this change will most probably be backed out, and then your 1.4.10 code might not work in the next release - see Joel's initial message here http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit-Contributors/browse_thread/thread/6329f8f175590ce1/5ffd7dbbbb8b53b8?lnk=st&q=setstylename&rnum=2#5ffd7dbbbb8b53b8

Ian

ankostis

Aug 2, 2007, 8:13:02 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit

On Aug 2, 10:39 am, mseele <mse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> doe's anybody know when GWT 1.4 FINAL will be released? How stable is
> RC 1?

No,
but i know when GWT 1.4-RC2 will be released ;-)

It will happen when critical issues count reaches zero:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3A1_4_RC2+priority%3Acritical+-status%3AFixedNotReleased&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Priority+Milestone+Owner+Summary&cells=tiles

Regards,
Kostis

Zbój

Aug 2, 2007, 9:12:46 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
My Javascript code is quite complicated. It works fine in all browsers
as a standalone JS library, but it doesn't work except in MSIE when
wrapped in a GWT class. There may be a bug in the obfuscation.

On 2 Sie, 11:21, "sannysan...@gmail.com" <sannysan...@gmail.com>

Dave

Aug 2, 2007, 9:29:07 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
In our case we could not move to 1.4. We are waiting for fixes to
classloader problems that were introduced by the support for
java.io.Serializable. These problems broke 100% of our RPC calls.

Dave

Gurney

Aug 2, 2007, 10:47:41 AM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
We have problems with migration to 1.4 RC1 (Serialization did not work
and there were other blockers).
The latest svn snapshots is pretty stable though. However several
incompatibilities in public API were
introduced by 1.4. setStyleName things, restrictions on widget attach/
detach operations, some method
names have been changed and so force.

So it may not work from the box. Our GWT guy has spent nearly 8 hours
or so on migration procedures.

Reinier Zwitserloot

Aug 2, 2007, 7:25:17 PM8/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Some notes on RC1: It's not -quite- as stable as people are making
out. My current RC1 contains at least a dozen handrolled patches.
However, most of those are because I was doing some very weird stuff.
Also, most of those are already applied to trunk. I've got 'start
using trunk instead of RC1' on my todolist.

Still, I've only been happy with moving to RC1. No showstoppers of any
kind, and converting wasn't difficult.

Dan Morrill

Aug 2, 2007, 9:07:50 PM8/2/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

GWT 1.4RC1 is NOT a final release.  We do not recommend that anyone use it for production applications.

GWT 1.4RC2 will be released as soon as we finish fixing a couple tricky, persistent bugs.  GWT 1.4RC2 will also NOT be a final release.  We will not recommend its use for production applications, either.

The "RC" means "Release Candidate".  That means that we *think* it's ready to be a final release, but it needs to be tested.  Until it is tested, we simply can't be sure.  For example, the reason that there will be an RC2 is because we were wrong about RC1, and testers found bugs in it.

If RC2 doesn't have any major issues reported against it, then it may become the final release.  Until then, none of the 1.4 release candidates should be considered as final releases.

Kind Regards,

- Dan