Who's Using GWT?

Sumit Chandel

Dec 11, 2008, 8:39:49 PM12/11/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello everyone,

We've recently updated the GWT homepage to include a page displaying a
non-exhaustive list of applications that are built with GWT. We were
also able to capture a few developers on video for those who happened
to be around the Google Mountain View area and developed awesome
applications using GWT. Check out more details on both of these at the
link below:

Who's Using GWT?:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/app_gallery.html

It's great that we were able to catch some of our local developers on
video, but we know there are other great stories out there from other
developers in the community. So, I thought it would be cool if I
stickied this Groups thread for community members to share their
experience with everyone.

Feel free to post up your own GWT application(s), along with your most
loved / requested features and any tips and tricks you've come across
as you developed your applications that you'd like to share with the
rest of the community. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

ofrias

Dec 12, 2008, 5:17:06 AM12/12/08
to Google Web Toolkit
We are using it at Trabber.com for the flight and hotel metasearch
results pages.

For us the best features are:
- you can forget about Javascript quirks
- efficiency (runtime speed, rpc speed, javascript size)

About the requested features, I know this is quite specific but we
would like to have a SliderBar with two knobs:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit-incubator/issues/detail?id=206

Thanks for the tool!

Arthur Kalmenson

Dec 12, 2008, 10:29:48 AM12/12/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi ofrias,

Trabber.com looks very impressive. A very nice and clean website. Well done :).

A couple of questions, what date picker did you use? What did you use
for your result grid? All custom built?

Anyway, great job. Thanks for sharing.

--
Arthur Kalmenson

Ngon Pham

Dec 13, 2008, 11:47:15 AM12/13/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi everyone,

We are using GWT at http://www.skydoor.net, one of largest travel
websites in Vietnam. This website also integrate other Google APIs
include: Maps, Earth, Youtube.

Our experience about GWT is that it is really a nice technology.
However, the local adoption is not as what we expected. Some complain
are about
- The loading time is quite slow, though we have used Gzip (file size
is 1MB, we used Tomcat Gzip to compress => ~250KB)
- The content can't be indexed by search engine
- Users still familiar with web pages, not web application

To solve these problems, we have created one more simple version
beside the GWT apps (fast, search engine friendly, familiar with most
users). You can take a look at http://www.skydoor.net/place/Viet_Nam

The most interesting feature we are looking for is that whether GWT
could have a smooth integration with AppEngine. Because this will
definitely reduce our time for not taking our own Tomcat + MySQL
server anymore.

Thanks and regards,
Ngon
> >http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit-incubator/issues/detail?i...
>
> > Thanks for the tool!

Dominik Erbsland

Dec 16, 2008, 8:18:59 AM12/16/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I saw the promoted projects. Some are really cool. It's great to see
that developers are using GWT!

I just made a small GWT website for bored people: http://www.drophole.net
it's just a tiny page I made to kill some time. Finished the first
version just yesterday.

another bigger GWT project was my diploma project http://www.myrss.ch
- it works like the google reader. actually this was my inspiration.
unfortunately the free hosting server I got is way too slow so the
application cannot really be used normally as it "freezes" from time
to time.

the features I love the most about GWT are:
- easily create an ajax webapplication with little effort.
- very well documented. even I can understand most tutorials :-)

what I'm missid though is the possibility to get the absolute position
of any object. I noticed that this is not possible with all objects.
(or maybe I just did not look hard enough)

cheers from switzerland
dominik

TimZon

Dec 16, 2008, 1:09:38 PM12/16/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello,

We built our application using GWT and really enjoyed the experience.

TimZon.com provides a video discussion solution for GMail and Google
Apps users aimed at helping enterprises collaborate across time zones.

This is our first experience with GWT, and we plan to use it more
going forward. We think that using GWT allows for a much better user
experience and was good for the development too.

Working with GWT, we liked the most:
- Rich AJAX without having to touch Javascript
- The ability to still use Javascript when it is really necessary
(events generated by iFrame or Flash integration).
- Being able to work from our preferred Eclipse environment.
- The ability to easily implement powerful RPC mechanism and
controlling both client and server code from one place.
- Google API integration, Great SuggestBox, and much more….

The improvement that would really make GWT magic would be the ability
to more easily integrate with style sheet without having to deal with
all the CSS quirks and all browser compatibility issues. (Ideally, we
would like to never have to touch CSS manually ever again).

Thank you for GWT!

The TimZon team ( http://www.timzon.com )

ofrias

Dec 17, 2008, 3:57:58 AM12/17/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Arthur.

The datepicker is in the homepage which is not GWT (only result pages
both for flights and hotels are).
It uses DHTML Calendar:
http://www.dynarch.com/projects/calendar/

The result grid is custom built using a table.

Oscar - http://www.trabber.com

On 12 dic, 16:29, "Arthur Kalmenson" <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ofrias,
>
> Trabber.com looks very impressive. A very nice and clean website. Well done :).
>
> A couple of questions, what date picker did you use? What did you use
> for your result grid? All custom built?
>
> Anyway, great job. Thanks for sharing.
>
> --
> Arthur Kalmenson
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 5:17 AM, ofrias <ofr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We are using it at Trabber.com for the flight and hotel metasearch
> > results pages.
>
> > For us the best features are:
> > - you can forget about Javascript quirks
> > - efficiency (runtime speed, rpc speed, javascript size)
>
> > About the requested features, I know this is quite specific but we
> > would like to have a SliderBar with two knobs:

Michael

Dec 18, 2008, 9:05:14 AM12/18/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi everyone!

We've been developing our issue tracking application using GWT (online
version: http://www.projectkaiser.com:8080/pk). This is a big
application, and we've walked a long way, but I would say that GWT is
really powerful tool for web apps when you need quick and lightweight
ajax solution.

The best GWT features for us are:

- GWT applications are 99% client side applications. No server-side
rendering, server performs only useful work - make queries to database
and return results to client application. This is the classic client-
server approach;

- Cross-browser support: GWT hides browser differences in most cases;

- Full support of general java libraries, allowing to use maps, lists,
sorting and other nice java stuff;

- Rich set of UI components. What is important, you can make own
components easily.

You can learn more about our experience with GWT from articles
( written using GWT !!! )

GWT Experience: lessons learned
http://www.projectkaiser.com:8080/pk?fileid=21860

GWT: Safari issues
http://www.projectkaiser.com:8080/pk?fileid=22315

---
Michael,
Project Kaiser Team

Alex Epshteyn

Dec 22, 2008, 4:42:22 PM12/22/08
to Google Web Toolkit
http://play.typeracer.com

Too many tips and tricks to enumerate here :)

maks

Dec 23, 2008, 7:51:05 AM12/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Awesome work michael!
> GWT: Safari issueshttp://www.projectkaiser.com:8080/pk?fileid=22315

Chii

Dec 23, 2008, 9:00:48 AM12/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Cool! that is a cool app you got there!

On Dec 23, 8:42 am, Alex Epshteyn <alexander.epsht...@gmail.com>

Dobes

Dec 29, 2008, 1:48:59 AM12/29/08
to Google Web Toolkit
We're using it to develop online accounting software:

http://www.clarityaccounting.com/demo?utm_source=gwt-group

Jon Vaughan

Jan 3, 2009, 4:37:10 PM1/3/09
to Google Web Toolkit
We're using GWT for the whole UI of Bionic Books, which is a small
business accounting application: http://www.bionicbooks.com.

Honestly I love GWT; Bionic Books has been written completely by 1
person (me) and I believe that there is no other technology that would
have allowed me to build something of this sophistication in the
relatively short time it took.

In terms of requested features I can't really think of much; we, as
I'm sure almost everyone has done, have written quite a lot of bespoke
controls with richer functionality, e.g. we have our own combo boxes,
multilevel dropdowns, extended ajax-ey list boxes with "Loading...",
etc and I think that there is possibly some ground to be gained in
terms of richer controls. At some point we're going to review our
codebase to see what we can contribute back.

Thanks to all at Google and to everyone else who has submitted to GWT

Jon Vaughan
Bionic Books

On Dec 12 2008, 1:39 am, Sumit Chandel <sumitchan...@google.com>

pady...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 9:23:09 AM1/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit

I have a gwt app ( to develop other simple apps - you can copy an
existing app another user created or develop your own using a (almost)
wyswyg builder ) - it is still a work in progress...i do it in my free
time...

http://www.geazy.com/gwf/GWFMain.html

Thx

-- pady

ajay jetti

Jan 7, 2009, 9:47:14 AM1/7/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
cant seem to view your application

pady...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 10:15:51 AM1/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit

I tested it on IE 7 and Firefox 3 and it seems to work. Can you tell
me your browser/version ?

Thanks

-- pady

ajay jetti

Jan 7, 2009, 10:32:49 AM1/7/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
firefox 3...

it gives some security warning and stops

pady...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2009, 12:43:12 PM1/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit

It was missing a security certificate bundle...fixed it...thx

-- pady

Ram

Jan 8, 2009, 3:11:32 PM1/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Website: http://www.seesay.com
Purpose: "Seesay is a place to read, share and discuss interesting
articles privately with friends"

We chose GWT for what it is - Code in Java and compile into high
performance, native clients for top browsers. Java 1.5 support was a
very welcome addition. Many thanks to the GWT team and Google for
creating this excellent infrastructure and providing it free of cost.

GWT specific features in Seesay that this group may like:
1) The email like user interface
2) RSS Reader interface
3) TinyMCE integration
4) Spell Check interface
5) Browser's Forward/Back button works correctly even when new tabs
are created/destroyed.

Please sign up to see the GWT client - as a GMail user, you can sign
up with one click, without filling any forms. We appreciate your
feedback.

Ram
Architect, Seesay
http://groups.google.com/group/seesaygroup

krishna

Jan 10, 2009, 12:15:38 AM1/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit

Hi All,

We developed a p2p micro-lending platform using GWT - http://www.rangde.org

We've also developed a theme generator for GWT - http://works.sen-sei.in/gtg

Things that we are looking forward to in GWT and related areas are

1. API for developing opensocial applications
2. Seamless integration with GAE
3. Any tool/feature that can help in SEO

Regards,
Krishna

On Dec 12 2008, 6:39 am, Sumit Chandel <sumitchan...@google.com>

Rockster

Jan 13, 2009, 6:24:03 AM1/13/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

Website: http://www.qafe.com
Tagline: Building Enterprise Applications Made Easy

requirements that are needed in these environments. It's fully
declarative
except for the complex logic (you write that in Java/Database stored
procedures). There is a declarative UI and the interaction
with the backend is also declarative. So no javascript/java/complex
architectures.
The architecture is divided in several and design patterns are applied
under
the hood. Data transfer from any datasource (Java source/Database) is
generalized
in such a way, that even this is easy. Idea is NOT to bother
(database) developers
with object orientation (it's a totally different mindset).

The UI is abstracted from any technology, which makes it possible to
render
any presentation technology. Currently to GWT and (not final) Adobe's
Flex (or any other presentation technology in future).

The SOA consumes java (service) classes with easy as well as the
interaction
with databases (tables/stored procedures/ custom SQL, etc). There is
no need for Java/javascript.
Just XML

We are setting up the site. In the http://demo.qafe.com
you can try out the code from the Showcase in the "QAFE Labs" "Try
me"menu.
So in fact with QAFE you can create any application with ease.

GWT made so much possible. Without GWT this project would not work.
GWT has a clean base and doesn't rely on javascript libraries.
Optimized output is super.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Rockster.

On Jan 10, 6:15 am, krishna <krishnakum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We developed a p2p micro-lending platform using GWT -http://www.rangde.org
>
> We've also developed a theme generator for GWT -http://works.sen-sei.in/gtg

akutz

Jan 16, 2009, 6:51:10 PM1/16/09
to Google Web Toolkit
lostcreations is using GWT for its new application, Virtualization
Manager Mobile (VMM).

With VMM you can manage and monitor virtual host servers and VMs right
from the palm of your hand using your favorite mobile device! Not only
can it run in any browser that supports AJAX and cookies, but it is
completely fluid -- looking its best at a font size of 2pt or 256pt!

A few of VMM's key features include:

- Start, stop, reset, and suspend VMs from your mobile!
- Monitor host and VM CPU and memory performance.
- Supports VMware Infrastructure 3.x (VI3x), VMware Server 2, and beta
two will enable support for Citrix Xen Server 5 and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Runs in any AJAX-supported browser (optimized for small displays)
- Installs on Windows, OS X, and Linux
- Built with Google Web Toolkit
- Built with lostcreations's Unified Virtualization API (UVAPI)
- Third-party developers can create custom plug-ins to extend
hypervisor support for VMM

Read more at http://lostcreations.com/vmm (demo link with user and
pass at the site)

ros_white

Jan 25, 2009, 10:31:31 AM1/25/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello everyone,

We're using GWT to develop online mobile phone management software:
http://www.bloove.com

Bloove (http://www.bloove.com) is a web service that lets you easily
manage your phone's contacts and SMS messages, bookmarks, phone call
logs and speed dial settings online. You can initiate calls and and
send SMS messages, archive contacts and messages, view messages and
phone calls threaded by contact (more features to come).

We support Nokia and Sony Ericsson mobile phones. For details please
check our website: http://www.bloove.com/site/supported_phones .
Windows Mobile version is in development.

Thanks for the GWT!

P.G.Taboada

Mar 20, 2012, 1:14:46 PM3/20/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit
Hi everyone,

I have an webapp in the app engine where companies that use GWT can register themselves:

http://gwtreferencelist.appspot.com

I also do collect a few stats, as you can see in the charts I provide in the statistics page.

Please spread the word!

brgds,

Papick