GWT 1.1.10 broke LightBox (BUG?)

IamRobe...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2006, 8:50:11 AM9/11/06
to Google Web Toolkit
It would be nice to get some clarification from Google on if this is a
bug or not, so that I can modify (or not) the GWT-WL LightBox
component.

Problem: In IE the LightBox component hides all content in the
background, it appears to be not translucent. No such problem in FF.

Root Cause: A change was made in the PopupImplIE6 in version 1.1.10
that is hiding the content under the translucent image. The change in
the DOM for a Popup in IE looks like this:

[v 1.1.0]
<iframe>
<content>

[v 1.1.10]
<iframe>
<content>

In 1.1.10 the iframe is not nested in the outter div like it was in
1.1.0. This iframe also is absolutely positioned at 0,0 and is the
full width and height of the page. The iframe is effectively blocking
out all content under it. In the older 1.1.0 the iframe had a width
and height of 0px which caused it to not block anything.

I am ssuming this was to fix the bug "Popups and DialogBoxes no longer
underlap lists and combos in IE6".

Solution: I haven't looked at it enough to figure one out. Ii do
though think that the correct behavior of a Popup should be to NOT
completely hide the content behind it. I am not sure if there is a way
to dot his though and still fix the underlapping issue.

Please let me know if this is to be considered a bug.

Rob

vladtn

Sep 11, 2006, 9:28:21 AM9/11/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Could it be because you are using a png and that IE doesn't support
transparency for png? Would it be worth trying with a gif?

Robert Hanson

Sep 11, 2006, 11:11:04 AM9/11/06
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
IE does support the alpha channel of PNG if you know the trick. See
the PNGImage widget from the GWT-WL, which handles this for you.

[JavaDocs]
http://gwt-widget.sourceforge.net/docs/apidocs/index.html

[IE Implementation]
http://gwt-widget.sourceforge.net/docs/xref/org/gwtwidgets/client/ui/impl/PNGImageImplIE6.html

Rob

IamRobe...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2006, 7:39:26 AM9/12/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Vivian/Scott/Anyone, can you confirm that the iframe used in
PopupImplIE6 is only used to stretch the area to the proper height and
width?

I found this comment in the fixup() method in the 1.1.0 version:
// Resize the iframe and inner div to give the child room.

If that is the case, is there any harm that you can think of by setting
the CSS visibility to hidden? I believe that hiding it will still
retain the height/width characteristics you want, yet allow it to be
see-through.

This temporarily fixes the LightBox issue in IE, but I don't like that
it would target all iframes:

iframe {visibility: hidden;}

I should have a patch out early next week for this.

Rob

IamRobe...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2006, 8:41:51 AM9/12/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I patched LightBox, changes can be found here:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gwt-widget/trunk/src/java/org/gwtwidgets/client/ui/LightBox.java?r1=54&r2=55

This will be in the next release which should come out on Monday. I
have a backlog of new contributions that I need to look at, but I think
the release will include the following:

* Scriptaculous based Drag-N-Drop
* Calendar API additions
* Dynamic CSS insertion
* GWTHandler for Spring
* GWTSpringController patch
* LightBox patches

George G. also suggested moving the server-side classes into a seperate
JAR file. This makes a lot of sense, so there may be a second jar with
just the Spring stuff.

Rob

perry3819

Sep 19, 2006, 11:44:34 PM9/19/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Rob,

Even with the patch, all content in the background under IE6.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Perry

Robert Hanson

Sep 20, 2006, 7:40:12 AM9/20/06
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
> Am I missing something?

Not sure. How big is your popup? I think I mentioned that the
PopupPanel in IE now uses an IFrame as the background, so you won't be
able to see anything through the popup if it covers the whole screen.

Do you have any code to replicate the problem?

Rob