Yet another GWT plug-in for Eclipse

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 19, 2006, 3:22:51 PM8/19/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi!

If you use Eclipse you might want to checkout this:
http://wagenknecht.org/blog/archives/2006/08/yet-another-gwt-plug-in.html

Nothing fancy yet but it's a start. ;)

Cu, Gunnar

Slava

Aug 21, 2006, 9:24:53 AM8/21/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Oh, gosh. It's a GWT virus. It deletes all inheritance keywords in GWT
services after execution.
Also i have problems trying to delete by hands service created by
wizard.

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 21, 2006, 9:42:09 AM8/21/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi!

Slava wrote:
> > Oh, gosh. It's a GWT virus. It deletes all inheritance keywords in GWT
> > services after execution.

Which keywords do you mean? In the *.gwt.xml file or in the service
interfaces?

> > Also i have problems trying to delete by hands service created by
> > wizard.

Do you mean the service interface? Do you get an exception?

You can report problems here:
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-tooling/

Cu, Gunnar

Slava

Aug 21, 2006, 11:00:27 AM8/21/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi. I have interface:

interface TreeDatasourceAsync extends DataSourceAsync {
}

after i enabled GWT support it became

interface TreeDatasourceAsync {
}

Also strange that your plugin don't deleted "extends SuperClass" string
in another GWT services interfaces, for example:

public interface MainServiceAsync extends FixedSizeListDatasourceAsync,
PropertiesDatasourceAsync{
}

remained the same after plugin activation.

After that i've tried to create service with your service creation
wizard. I didn't like that it creates services in the client package of
GWT module(although i was creating service in /client/services package
of my GWT module). So i didn't like that and selected all 3 generated
files and pressed delete button. MyServiceAsync file was deleted but it
was still displayed in PackageExplorer. I was need to restart eclipse
for that file to vanish.

I am using Callisto eclipse 3.2 and I'm afraid of your plugin now =)

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 21, 2006, 11:32:36 AM8/21/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi!

Slava schrieb:

> interface TreeDatasourceAsync extends DataSourceAsync {
> }
>
> after i enabled GWT support it became
>
> interface TreeDatasourceAsync {
> }

Ah ok. I wasn't aware that inheritance is support in remote service
async implementations that are generated by GWT.

Filled http://code.google.com/p/gwt-tooling/issues/detail?id=2.

> Also strange that your plugin don't deleted "extends SuperClass" string
> in another GWT services interfaces, for example:

That's probably because the builder didn't run. You can disabled it
anyway if you don't like the automated generation of the async
interface stubs.

> After that i've tried to create service with your service creation
> wizard. I didn't like that it creates services in the client package of
> GWT module(although i was creating service in /client/services package
> of my GWT module). So i didn't like that and selected all 3 generated
> files and pressed delete button. MyServiceAsync file was deleted but it
> was still displayed in PackageExplorer. I was need to restart eclipse
> for that file to vanish.

Mhm. That wizard was enhanced by me but still comes from the Googlipse
background.

Filled as:
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-tooling/issues/detail?id=4
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-tooling/issues/detail?id=3

> I am using Callisto eclipse 3.2 and I'm afraid of your plugin now =)

As long as you aren't scared. ;) No don't worry, that's why I provided
the context menu actions to activate and deactivate it easily. But
thanks for your input! That's what I was looking for. Right now, it
pretty much only handles my workflow and implements my ideas but that's
not what a tool should be about. :)

Cu, Gunnar

Slava

Aug 21, 2006, 12:15:49 PM8/21/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Okay, one more idea. I am using common datasource GWT service , other
datasources inherit that one and that interface is used in diffirent
modules, so it is not a good idea to hardcode servlet url to interface
and use it in static class Util, although it is a good idea to create
Util class with getInstance(String) method.

I wrote eclipse template for doing that.

public static class Util {
public static ${service}Async getInstance(String url) {
${service}Async service = (${service}Async) GWT
.create(${service}.class);
((ServiceDefTarget) service)
.setServiceEntryPoint(GWT.getModuleBaseURL() +
url);
return service;
}
}

i think must be a simple way to create common RemoteService interface
without hardcoded url and without Util class.
And must be a simple way to create service with url and Util.

for example

interface FirstDataSource extends RemoteService {
}
interface SecondDataSource extends RemoteService {
}

interface MyPageService extends FirstDataSource, SecondDataSource {
public static url="";

public static class Util...
}

Ed Burnette

Aug 27, 2006, 9:40:33 PM8/27/06
to Google Web Toolkit
GWT-Tooling is now listed as the 116th contribution to
www.gwtpowered.org .

--Ed
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ebgwt/

claude

Aug 28, 2006, 11:15:02 AM8/28/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Ed, I bought your book and enyoyed reading it from end-to-end over the
weekend.

These message insertions you like to do are a little too frequent,
however, and I was hoping that you could balance your zeal for
self-promotion with the need to avoid spam, perphaps these postings
could be collected together in small, occasional (weekly?)
announcements rather than inlining each thread.

Here's a quote you can use to promote the book (I used to write book
reviews for Fawcette Publications/DevX, etc;-): "Ed's book is lucid,
easy to read and provides insights that are not available in the GWT
documentation. His writing is casual but direct and the book is ideal
for getting new users up to speed with GTW, a welcome addition to a
growing, vibrant community."

On a personal note, I would have liked something more meaty but that'll
have to wait since the community is still nascent and the kind of guide
you published is more likely to expand the developer base, which is
more important at this stage. In any case, I enjoyed the book and
wanted to support your efforts, so I bought the PDF and read it
immediately.

Keep up the good work.

Ed Burnette

Aug 29, 2006, 9:43:00 AM8/29/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks Claude, and please excuse my enthusiasm about GWT. I'll try to
keep it in check a bit. :)

By the way, http://www.gwtpowered.org isn't really associated with my
book. It started out that way but over time I came to realize that a)
the community really needed an independent resource site, and b) people
who I wanted to help out with the database are working on their own
books. Therefore, I've removed any special references to my GWT book
from the site.

--Ed
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette

claude

Aug 29, 2006, 10:46:03 AM8/29/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I don't think you need to remove references to the book from your own
site (community or not). I was reacting to seeing 4 emails in a row
that pushed the book. In forums or email, it feels like spam when this
happens. An occasional announcement seems reasonable.

I visit http://www.gwtpowered.org on occasion to check on the latest
releases and I think it's perfectly appropriate for an author to be
highlighting his own work there. The book and site are complimentary I
think.

By way of (positive) usuability feeddback for the site: I find nested
views of the sites being pointed to less friendly than spawning
windows. JSFCentral does this too and while it's less intrusive it
seems less than ideal. I think a directory in tab views makes sense,
but the moment you want to look at the site a link points to, the use
of an iframe feels constrained.

Nice work in any case. Sorry about giving you a hard time. I was just
being cranky ;-)

Ed Burnette

Aug 31, 2006, 9:09:25 PM8/31/06
to Google Web Toolkit
No problem; I normally just read the group digest once a day so that's
why you saw several messages in a row.

I'd like to replace the frames with something more GWT-y but just
haven't had the time. There are feeds available in a variety of
formats, including JSON, if anyone wants to play with it:

Recent changes (widgets + resources ordered by date):
http://gwtpowered.dabbledb.com/publish/gwtwidgetlist/4a17dd9c-ee28-4fd1-ae02-1c557802ff35/gwtwidgetlist.export

Resources:
http://gwtpowered.dabbledb.com/publish/gwtwidgetlist/a51f0f0a-d9d9-4736-b10d-dfff82301d59/gwtwidgetlist.export

Widgets:
http://gwtpowered.dabbledb.com/publish/gwtwidgetlist/2ddeb373-1746-4642-836d-931fa7a2778b/gwtwidgetlist.export

These urls might change. If you need a different view let me know.

--Ed
http://www.gwtpowered.org