Wow. Morfik Did a Great Job on This

Mikey

May 17, 2006, 4:09:06 PM5/17/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Congratulations, Morfik on doing a great job on this for Google. After
seeing http://web2.0central.com/archives/109, but watching what both M$
and Google were doing, I figured it was only a matter of time before
Google decided to team up with Morfik. It's a marriage made in heaven.

Finally, Morfik is going to have good, solid funding to get their tool
in the hands of everyone. Now it's off to play...

piprog

May 17, 2006, 6:23:55 PM5/17/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I am totally in agreement with you Mikey!

If we consider how Morfik will be able to provide to Google and to
third parties the complete visual development environment and all the
other languages, and how Google will be able to supply the
infrastructure, the user base and financing, this can be the dawn of
the WebOS era.

amarish

May 18, 2006, 12:25:14 PM5/18/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm not quite sure I understand. What does Morfik have to do with
this? Morfik's product is a robust IDE based RAD Environment. This is
an open source Java to Javascript toolkit.

What is the relation? Does this toolkit contain some code from the
Morfik core or something?

Péter Illés

May 18, 2006, 2:41:31 PM5/18/06
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
My original thought was that this was based on the kernel of Morfik (compiler/JST, etc.), which would be a wise decision since that is a really solid piece of art. Now, as Alex pointed out, the About box does not credit Morfik in any way, which is puzzling. They may probably have a special contract -- I am guessing here...  ...I suppose we will learn this sooner or later. Anyone any real facts?

OTOH you are right: Morfik in its entirety is a much more complete product with all the IDE/debugging/profiling/visual design tools/included server side components, etc., so I think the two may become symbiotic: for smaller Java-only projects, where visual editing and all the other 21st century IDE stuff is not needed GWT will be perfect, and when it comes to the other languages and/or more complete UIs then Morfik can be used.

It will be interesting to see how the two will complement each other... If one looks around can see now a trend that many AJAX UI toolkit vendors (either OS or closed) are trying to create common widget sets -- this is an area where GWT/Google and Morfik could form a leading role and come up with some common standards (Backbase, Prototype, etc. come to my mind too) -- this would be a win for us application developers, although IMHO how all these AJAX UI widget toolkits will differentiate themselves in the long run is something I don't see.