Announcing GWT 1.6...and quite a bit more

Bruce Johnson

Apr 7, 2009, 11:57:29 PM4/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Folks!

Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:

GWT 1.6 and friends:
http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-friends.html

Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Java
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-language-on-app.html

Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolate
http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclipse-peanut-butter.html

-- Bruce, on behalf of the GWT, App Engine, and Google Plugin teams

Jim

Apr 8, 2009, 9:32:30 AM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I just want to GWT community to know you CAN boost your productivity
by using Dreamsource ORM from http://dreamsource-orm.googlecode.com/files/dreamsource2_0_0_04062009_GWT_src.jar.
Dreamsource ORM is implemented to target GWT applications after the
first version is being used in production for more than three years.
It eliminates the problems you have when you use JPA or Hibernate. It
also provides JPA2.0 features in a simplest way.

Try it to see the difference.

Jim Xie

On Apr 7, 11:57 pm, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

Brian

Apr 8, 2009, 10:28:02 AM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Nice.

On Apr 7, 11:57 pm, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

Stan B

Apr 8, 2009, 9:43:47 AM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thank you, can't wait to dig in!

Does the Google/GWT plugin for Eclipse create the service stubs (Async/
Sync/Impl classes) and modify the web.xml to add the servlet for you
like Cypal Studio?

On Apr 7, 11:57 pm, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

Jim

Apr 8, 2009, 11:41:30 AM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I got the following exception:

Plug-in org.eclipse.ajdt.ui was unable to load class
org.eclipse.ajdt.internal.ui.ajde.CachedRuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.
An error occurred while automatically activating bundle
org.eclipse.ajdt.ui (33).

when I try to run "web application" from the project context menu
after I create an web application based on the tutorial, I have ajdt
installed in this box.

Jim Xie
> > -- Bruce, on behalf of the GWT, App Engine, and Google Plugin teams- Hide quoted text -

Miguel Méndez

Apr 8, 2009, 12:59:07 PM4/8/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Stan B <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you, can't wait to dig in!

Does the Google/GWT plugin for Eclipse create the service stubs (Async/
Sync/Impl classes) and modify the web.xml to add the servlet for you
like Cypal Studio?

We did not include that feature in this release, but we are considering it.

--
Miguel

Miguel Méndez

Apr 8, 2009, 1:03:29 PM4/8/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
What version of eclipse are you using?  What version of ajdt?
--
Miguel

Jim

Apr 8, 2009, 1:17:45 PM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I am using Eclipse 3.3. I got this exception first time when I tried
to run "web application" after I installed the plugin and restarted
eclipse. However this exception goes away after I restarted my
Eclipse.

Jim
> Miguel- Hide quoted text -

Miguel Méndez

Apr 8, 2009, 1:28:16 PM4/8/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Restarting a second time fixes it?
--
Miguel

Jim

Apr 8, 2009, 1:51:33 PM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Yes.

I am using the following version of ajdt and aspectj:

Version: 1.5.3.200807141310
AspectJ version: 1.6.1.20080703120000

Jim

flyin...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2009, 1:54:15 PM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I should go back in using eclipse for the project or osmething. I been
using netbeans with the gwt4nb but that havnt been updated to support
1.6

I dont really know how to write those config files to setup the new
debugger and stuff for netbeans

Miguel Méndez

Apr 8, 2009, 2:00:20 PM4/8/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
That is strange.  We'll track it internally.  Please let us know if it happens again.
--
Miguel

HommeDeJava

Apr 8, 2009, 4:40:27 PM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Wow!

Seems to be Christmas in April!

Fortunately, you have not made the announcement last week because we
thought it was a April 1st hoax!

Thanks a lot to all your great team!

Claude

On Apr 7, 11:57 pm, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

jchimene

Apr 8, 2009, 6:16:47 PM4/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks folks!

The transition to 1.6 was relatively painless on my latest project. I
can see the WAR structure will be easier to deploy, even though I
don't (now) use server-side Java.

I had not intended to move to 1.6 so soon, but the Eclipse plug-in was
too good to resist.

Maybe I'll see you in May.

Cheers,
jec

tsegismont

Apr 9, 2009, 8:31:08 AM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I tried the plugin and it works fine. But it seems to be not much
configurable opposite to command line tools : you have to stick to the
default project layout for instance, which is not very convenient for
a Maven project.

Did I miss something ?

Is there a dedicated group to talk about Google Eclipse plugin ?

@Bruce: sorry, at first I'd replied to you only

On 8 avr, 05:57, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

Ed

Apr 9, 2009, 1:48:03 PM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi all,

I am running in no-server mode with GWT 1.5.3

I read bits and peaces about the changes, but still not completely
sure how to merge to GWT 1.6.

How/Where can I find the changes that will effect my no-server
configuration? and what about my gwt directly structure ? I like it as
it is and don't want it in a war :(... as I perform a separate
deployement for the java backend and my gwt front -end.
BTW: I am using my own Eclipse launch files to start in hosted mode...
I think that also changes...

Maybe it will be very easy to merge to GWT 1.6, but any tips will be
more then welcome to overcome afterwards thoughts like "If I knew
that... "....

-- Ed

Miguel Méndez

Apr 9, 2009, 1:51:16 PM4/9/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
There isn't a dedicated group, but we do monitor this one for issues.  We tried to keep the configuration to a minimum for this release.

What aspects would you need to be able to change in order to make the plugin more Maven friendly?
--
Miguel

Jason Essington

Apr 9, 2009, 1:58:07 PM4/9/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
replace your 1.5.3 libs with the 1.6 libs ...

that's pretty much it ... if the compiler wants to put your code in
war/ then add the compiler flag -war www to get it back to the 1.5 way
of doing things ...

from there, you should be good to go. you can migrate from listeners
to handlers as time allows, they are deprecated, but not removed so no
need to do any work if you don't want to :-)

this really isn't that tough of an upgrade.

-jason

Ed

Apr 9, 2009, 2:09:48 PM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Ok, jason, sounds so ... easy that even my wife can do it for me ;)

-- Ed

tsegismont

Apr 9, 2009, 3:49:40 PM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Miguel,

Allowing to configure the layout structure is the only aspect I have
in mind right now. But without this I cannot seamlessly run Maven,
m2eclipse and Google Eclipse together.

Thanks for answering so quick !

Miguel Méndez

Apr 9, 2009, 3:59:15 PM4/9/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
You mean making the name of the war folder configurable?  Or is there something else?  (Just trying to make sure that we agree on what layout means).
--
Miguel

tsegismont

Apr 9, 2009, 4:04:44 PM4/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I mean making the name of the war folder configurable, indeed.

I'll open a new thread in this group if I think about something else.

Regards

Miguel Méndez

Apr 9, 2009, 4:11:25 PM4/9/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good -- I just wanted to double check that I understood where you were coming from.
--
Miguel

Daniel Jue

Apr 9, 2009, 4:29:56 PM4/9/09
2009/4/8 Miguel Méndez <mme...@google.com>

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Stan B <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you, can't wait to dig in!

Does the Google/GWT plugin for Eclipse create the service stubs (Async/
Sync/Impl classes) and modify the web.xml to add the servlet for you
like Cypal Studio?

We did not include that feature in this release, but we are considering it.

Please do add the service stubs and allow it to sync the stubs like Cypal!

When I am programming with GWT I am constantly adding and refactoring the rpc classes/interfaces, and it is such a pain to manually keep things in sync, no pun intended.  It would be nice if there was an add rpc wizard which also modified your web.xml, but that would just be icing on the cake.

Daniel

Ramas

Apr 10, 2009, 2:44:46 AM4/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
why exclusive support for Eclipse ? For the past few years Netbeans
became a lot better, than it used to, and there's large developer
community, too. Can you provide out-of-box support for Netbeans in the
future ?

On Apr 8, 6:57 am, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

ScienceMan

Apr 10, 2009, 12:52:32 PM4/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm having great fun writing and deploying test apps with this, and
would like to do more.

How about a code base for tutorials in a svn repository or eclipse
source link somewhere?

I haven't found good material on building a palette of UI elements or
a page of demo UI features -- is there one?

The SmartGWT and GWT Designer projects do not seem to have caught up
with this yet -- especially the latter, so I hope they will soon.
Meanwhile, any advice for womeone who wants to take the next step
beyond the YouTube demo?

On Apr 7, 10:57 pm, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

Eric Clayberg

Apr 10, 2009, 4:08:14 PM4/10/09
to Google Web Toolkit
We are working on GWT 1.6 support for GWT Designer and should have
basic (compilation and hosted mode) support available soon.

Rvanlaak

Apr 12, 2009, 6:13:07 AM4/12/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I've also heared something about GXT2.0. It will be released the 14th
of April, but i've never read anything about that. Will GXT2 be GWT1.6
compatible?

Besides that, what is the story between GWT and the Servlet3.0 (JSR
315) specification? I think it really would be great if GWT will
implement server-push out of the box!

Darkflame

Apr 15, 2009, 1:00:39 PM4/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I've changed the libs over, but when it compiles it gives the message;

WARNING: 'com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell' is deprecated and will be
removed in a future release.
Use 'com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode' instead.
(To disable this warning, pass -Dgwt.nowarn.legacy.tools as a JVM
arg.)

If I replace GWTShell with HostedMode on the Eclipse run dialogue main
class however, it gives an error that it dosnt recognise the -out
flag. (presumably the one in arguments telling it where my html is).

Whats the correct settings for the main class,arguments etc now in
1.6?

Vitali Lovich

Apr 15, 2009, 1:29:00 PM4/15/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Html files go into the war directory.

Darkflame

Apr 15, 2009, 2:17:42 PM4/15/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I've changed the libs over in eclipse, but when it compiles it gives
the message;

WARNING: 'com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell' is deprecated and will be
removed in a future release.
Use 'com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode' instead.
(To disable this warning, pass -Dgwt.nowarn.legacy.tools as a JVM
arg.)

If I replace GWTShell with HostedMode on the Eclipse run dialogue main
class however, it gives an error that it dosnt recognise the -out
flag. (presumably the one in arguments telling it where my html is).

Whats the correct settings for the main class,arguments etc now in
1.6?
So I can remove this message.

On Apr 9, 7:58 pm, Jason Essington <jason.essing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Message has been deleted

Stan B

Apr 16, 2009, 11:16:57 AM4/16/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I have an interesting question about the Plugin. How do I export a
"Web Application Project" to a WAR and/or how do I add that project to
an EAR Project?

Miguel Méndez

Apr 16, 2009, 1:00:34 PM4/16/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
We did not enable the export webapp project as WAR feature for the first release.  As a work around, you should be able to build the java project, perform a GWT compile (if using GWT) and then zip up the war folder.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Stan B <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have an interesting question about the plugin. How do I export a WAR
file now and/or how do I add a "web application project" to an EAR?

--
Miguel

new GWTUser();

Apr 16, 2009, 1:02:53 PM4/16/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Does the new folder structure have to be "war/*" or can the "war" be
replaced by any other directory name?

Salvador Diaz

Apr 19, 2009, 10:15:08 AM4/19/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Where should we report bugs found in the Eclipse plugin ?

Thanks in advance,

Salvador

Alex Rudnick

Apr 19, 2009, 3:37:09 PM4/19/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hey Salvador,

The plugin team reads this group, so if you just report your bug here,
we'll note it. Maybe start a new thread?

(we'll have documentation about how to report bugs pretty soon too.)

Thanks!

--
Alex Rudnick
swe, gwt, atl

Sumit Chandel

Apr 20, 2009, 7:17:41 PM4/20/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Salvador,

Also, if you do discover a veritable bug, or a valid feature request related to GWT functionality (for example, the request for better Maven integration for the Google Plug-in for Eclipse), feel free to report it on the GWT Issue Tracker. We've added new labels to categorize and track plug-in issues there.

Issue Tracker:

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Salvador Diaz

Apr 21, 2009, 3:31:16 AM4/21/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks for your replies guys,
I just reported the bug, here's the link
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=3583

On Apr 21, 1:17 am, Sumit Chandel <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Salvador,
> Also, if you do discover a veritable bug, or a valid feature request related
> to GWT functionality (for example, the request for better Maven integration
> for the Google Plug-in for Eclipse), feel free to report it on the GWT Issue
> Tracker. We've added new labels to categorize and track plug-in issues
> there.
>
> Issue Tracker:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list
>
> Cheers,
> -Sumit Chandel

ni...@stsoftware.com.au

Apr 22, 2009, 11:11:58 PM4/22/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Where's the Netbeans support ? Surely it's within Google's ability to
make a plugin for Netbeans too instead of forcing us to use Eclipse.

Isaac Truett

Apr 23, 2009, 8:16:15 AM4/23/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Where's the Notepad support?

But seriously, folks... nobody's forcing you to use anything. And
nobody is under any obligation to write a plugin for you. If the
Netbeans-using GWT developer community wants a plugin, they can make
one. The Google plugin is even going to be open-sourced (according to
the FAQ) so you can reference that when the source is released.

Rohit Vadera

May 11, 2009, 6:50:46 AM5/11/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Does GWT 1.6 support Gilead magic automatically for hibernate objects.

Unable to find example where steps are given to integrate Hibernate
and GWT with Gilead.

On Apr 8, 8:57 am, Bruce Johnson <br...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Exciting news today. Rather than attempting to describe everything here, let
> me point you to some blog posts that hopefully you will find interesting:
>
> GWT 1.6 and friends:http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/introducing-gwt-16-and-f...
>
> Seriously this time, the new language on App Engine: Javahttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
>
> Google Plugin for Eclipse -- Peanut Butter to Eclipse's Chocolatehttp://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-plugin-for-eclips...

Sumit Chandel

May 11, 2009, 8:39:46 PM5/11/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rohit,

As far as I know, the Gilead library does indeed support GWT 1.6 (as much of the RPC logic has remained constant between GWT 1.5 and GWT 1.6). Please see the thread below on the Gilead forum.

Gilead forum:

The Gilead homepage also has a tutorial and other documentation that should help you get GWT and Hibernate working together.

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel

Alyxandor

May 13, 2009, 10:05:37 AM5/13/09
to Google Web Toolkit
@Darkflame, @Isaac, @Netbeans Users - If you're having problems with
your IDE, or your IDE is not as plugin-friendly as Eclipse, use an ant
build script. Ant is IDE independant, and it can be run from within
the IDE.

GWT Webappcreator will make one for you, and if that's not good
enough, here's a copy of mine:

<target name="hosted" depends="javac" description="Run hosted mode">
<java failonerror="true" fork="true"
classname="com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode">
<classpath>
<pathelement location="src"/>
<pathelement location="../gwt-linux-1.6.4/gwtquery.jar"/>
<pathelement location="../gwt-linux-1.6.4/incubator.jar"/>
<pathelement location="../gwt-linux-1.6.4/gwt-log.jar"/>
<pathelement location="../gwt-linux-1.6.4/gwt-dnd.jar"/>
<path refid="project.class.path"/>
</classpath>
<jvmarg value="-Xmx768M"/>
<arg value="-startupUrl"/>
<arg value="X.html"/>
<arg value="-port"/>
<arg value="7711"/>
<arg value="-style"/>
<arg value="OBF"/>

<arg value="aiyx.X"/>
<arg value="aiyx.x51.xInk"/>
<arg value="aiyx.x77.xInk"/>
</java>
</target>

Note the part where you can put multiple modules at the end, because
that eluded me for a while... If you declare multiple modules in the
ant build file, you can work on XS-iframe hacks in hosted mode, and
even download and run the compiled and uploaded modules from your
external webserver {important when latency of image downloads
matters}.

IF YOUR IDE CONFIGURATION DIES, ant WILL SAVE THE DAY!

Finally, to all NetBeans users... Sun {Netbeans} is nice and all {I
used it for years}, but the creation of IBM Canada {Eclipse} is and
has been available in most of the 'Nix repositories for years. I'm no
Google-employee, but I know the GWT team uses a lot of Ubuntu, and it
just makes sense to support the most readily available, openly-
licensed, auto-installable IDE out there {Plus, I can copy+paste the
whole install directory to a different chroot folder and it still
works!}. I miss the NetBeans interface, but Eclipse plugins with
auto-updates always work for me, but I'd give them both up before I'd
let go of my JSNI...

Anyway, I'm wet with excitement over the idea of GWT 2.0 + Appengine,
and I would go back to JBuilder X or jedit if it was the only way to
get the first taste of the most amazing web app platform out there!

10^100 thanks for all your hard work!