GWT.getModuleBaseURL() in 1.1 with -noserver option

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 15, 2006, 1:35:37 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi!

GWT 1.1. removed the need for a gwt-hosted.html file. In my projects
GWT.getModuleBaseURL() now returns an empty string when used in hosted
mode with the -noserver option. The compiled code works fine in the
browser it just doesn't work in the development shell started with the
"-noserver" option.

Is this a known issue or is there a configuration workaround?

Cu, Gunnar

hovan

Aug 15, 2006, 2:18:48 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Gunnar,

It's not a bug at all. It took me almost 1 hour to figure things out.
To run in -noserver mode:

1. Don't do any <servlet> mapping in .gwt.xml file or mapping without
module name

2. web.xml have to map with module name (something like
/modulename/servicename)

3. service end point must include: getModuleBaseURL() + servicename

Thanks,
hovan.

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 15, 2006, 2:31:50 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
hovan schrieb:

> It's not a bug at all. It took me almost 1 hour to figure things out.
> To run in -noserver mode:

Hoven, that's not my problem.

GWT.getModuleBaseURL() in hosted with -noserver !=
GWT.getModuleBaseURL() in compiled mode

So, the resource or service works using the compiled JavaScript but not
in the hosted browser. For example, new Image(GWT.getModuleBaseURL() +
"/myimage.png") works perfect in the compiled version but does not work
in the hosted browser (because GWT.getModuleBaseURL() in an empty
string there).

Cu, Gunnar

hovan

Aug 15, 2006, 4:06:02 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
For the images go with module, it's better to put in public folder and
use path without module name.
so just use /myimage.png.

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 15, 2006, 4:09:09 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
They are in the public folder and they do work in compiled mode. But
anyway, anything that relays on GWT.getModuleBaseURL() is broken in
hosted mode with -noserver option for me and I'm trying to find out why
GWT.getModuleBaseURL() returns an empty string there.

hovan

Aug 15, 2006, 4:24:20 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
It works just fine for me on, hosted with or without -noserver and in
compiled mode. Because of something like this in .nocache.html
function onLoad() {
if (!$wnd.__gwt_isHosted) return;
if (!$wnd.__gwt_isHosted()) {
selectScript();
}
else {
var mcb = $wnd.__gwt_tryGetModuleControlBlock(location.search);
if (mcb) {
$moduleName = mcb.getName();
$moduleBaseURL = mcb.getBaseURL();
mcb.compilationLoaded(window);
}
}
}
I guess.

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 15, 2006, 4:28:45 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Yes, this worked for me before. But now with 1.1. it stopped working.
What arguments do you use when launching the development shell?

hovan

Aug 15, 2006, 4:37:44 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Google guys don't you the gwt-hosted.html file to load the module
anymore. Because of the cache problem i think. So no parametters send
back to server in hosted mode.
I did upgrade my apps this morning, it was a little pain, but i am ok
now:)

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 15, 2006, 4:40:39 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I know that they don't use it anymore. That's what I wrote in my first
post (see top). :)

So, what arguments to you use for launching your development shell?

hovan

Aug 15, 2006, 4:47:33 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
I use ant to launch the hosted mode, just forget about class path.

<target name="run-test.hosted">
<java classname="com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell" fork="true">
<classpath refid="gwt.classpath"/>
<classpath location="${gwtx.jar}"/>
<classpath location="${src.dir}/gwtx-test"/>
<classpath location="${build.dir}/gwtx-test/classes"/>

<arg value="-noserver"/>
<arg value="-out"/>
<arg value="${build.dir}/gwtx-test/www"/>
<arg
value="http://localhost:8080/gwtx-test/com.xp.test.gwtx.XModule/XModule.html"/>
</java>
</target>

Gunnar Wagenknecht

Aug 15, 2006, 5:18:26 PM8/15/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Mhm. That's weird. I did some debugging and something is different
here. I added two alerts to the the #onLoad in the .nocache.html file.

$moduleName = mcb.getName();
$moduleBaseURL = mcb.getBaseURL();

alert('look:' + $moduleName);
alert('look:' + $moduleBaseURL);

The module name is correct. But $moduleBaseURL is empty. I think the
problem is my URL.

http://localhost:8080/com.company.product.component.webapp/client/com.company.product.component.gwt.ProductClient/ProductClient.html

Maybe GWT is confused by the context URL of my webapp. ;)

Cu, Gunnar

hovan

Aug 28, 2006, 3:38:29 PM8/28/06
to Google Web Toolkit
Gunnar,

This blank thing got fixed on 1.1.10. Now you will get
http://localhost:8888/modulename for hosted mode with or without server
option

hovan.