Issue 1610

jsantaelena

Apr 19, 2008, 4:15:29 PM4/19/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm having the same problem related on Issue 1610. To turn around the
problem, I'm using GWT 1.3.3. Somebody knows when it will be fixed?

Thanks.

Sumit Chandel

Apr 22, 2008, 6:42:54 PM4/22/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi jsantaelena,

As per the issue report comments, Alex has currently been assigned the issue to start a deeper investigation into what's going on. We certainly want to try and get this fixed for 1.5 so as not to hold anyone back from making the upgrade. Please star the issue to keep track of updates as Alex and other community members start listing out more telling findings.

Issue #1610:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1610

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel
--
Join us at Google's biggest developer event of the year
May 28-29, San Francisco

Peter Blazejewicz

Apr 22, 2008, 8:25:28 PM4/22/08
to Google Web Toolkit
hi Sumit,

just as side note: that .dll is outdated (dll in subject of issue),
even newer Microsoft component was updated recently in hurry because
of serious secuirty hole (that little .dll affects several Windows top
Apps):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944338
I don't know but people should use Windows update simply if they are
using that system,
basically everyting older than .dll in above technote is as using old
crap, that's expressed in that technote (unfortunately very lengthy
document from Microsoft):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-022.mspx
I don't think that Alex should spend time one that, just my opinion,
people should update software and issue should be tested against
updated system components,

regards,
Peter

On Apr 23, 12:42 am, "Sumit Chandel" <sumitchan...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi jsantaelena,
>
> As per the issue report comments, Alex has currently been assigned the issue
> to start a deeper investigation into what's going on. We certainly want to
> try and get this fixed for 1.5 so as not to hold anyone back from making the
> upgrade. Please star the issue to keep track of updates as Alex and other
> community members start listing out more telling findings.
>
> Issue #1610:http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1610
>
> Cheers,
> -Sumit Chandel

Jose Santa Elena

Apr 22, 2008, 9:01:20 PM4/22/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Peter, unfortunately we cannot ask for our customers to do an update on their system.

jsantaelena

Apr 23, 2008, 6:50:25 AM4/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Peter. I think that the problem cannot be simply ignore, once we
cannot ask for our customers to update their SO.

On 22 abr, 21:25, Peter Blazejewicz <peter.blazejew...@gmail.com>

Sumit Chandel

Apr 23, 2008, 5:38:32 PM4/23/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up, Peter.

It's true that users who are still using that .dll will most likely end up in a world of hurt for keeping their systems so vulnerable. I guess as web developers and citizens of the web it is our civic duty to inform clients that their systems are vulnerable and should be updated once we discover this to be true, but on the other hand many clients may be unwilling to make that update, as is Jose's case here. It seems like there are many other developers out there that care about this issue given how many people have starred issue #1610, and it also seems to be holding some developers back from upgrading given their client configurations.

It may yet be worth taking a look at this issue... perhaps the fix is trivial once the root cause is discovered. I'll put a link to this post however; I'm sure Alex or whoever else troubleshoots the issue will find it useful to consider before moving forward to find a fix.

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel

Peter Blazejewicz

Apr 23, 2008, 6:39:17 PM4/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
hi Jose,
I haven't write that problem should be ignored, I wrote that I think
development efforts should be put into different things, That's not
people task to hunt for rabbits on Microsoft fields (that's their duty
and their reputation). With all respect to your problem and your
customers needs I think there are more important issues to solve in
first place (GWT Team usually gets them into M-releases as we can
learn),
Please read next post I'll submit to Sumit, because another developer
posted problem with the same dll lib, now with actually updated one
(one of most recent, you never know microsoft),
And I understand you because I work on support in software company and
we recently were stuck with request from customer to help to solve
issue with software running on the very first release of Windows XP
(event not SP1a) because theirs client cannot update. So we had to
choose: spend time on solving custom request and somehow recreate
issue on software which is no longer active life-cycle on Microsoft
(SP2 is the only supported version) and without a tools (api/sdk/C++)
to work with issue. That's nightmare
regards,
Peter

Peter Blazejewicz

Apr 23, 2008, 6:44:55 PM4/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit
hi Sumit,
I understand and I know Google relation to users, I remember e.g. such
articles like that on Ajaxian:
http://ajaxian.com/archives/gmail-gets-a-javascript-facelift,
I'd vote to add tech note in first place for people,
just to add something:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/69428d48a7581567#
today other developer reported something similiar with recent
jscript.dll, I've asked him to update issue after he updates his code
to use updated GWT api implementation,

regards,
Peter