Problems with IE6/7 after GWT upgrade from version 1.3.3 to 1.4.60 - Urgent

venceslav

Nov 1, 2007, 1:25:48 PM11/1/07
to Google Web Toolkit
I already put into the production server a 100% GWT business travel
application.

The site works well using GWT 1.3.3 - very nice, good speed, rpc works
very well.
I build even some ui components using MVC model - filtered calendar,
table etc.

Despite of the v1.3.3 successful development and deployment,
when the application is compiled using GWT 1.4.60,
with all runtime jar and js updated also to 1.4.60, IE6/7 on Win2000/
XP displays the following message:

"IE cannot open the Internet site http://www.promoturism.ro.
Operation aborted"

This is a real business application.
My client is not quite happy...

Please give me a good advice.

You can visit/test 1.4.60 version of this application at:
http://www.promoturism.ro.

Thank you.

Bruce Johnson

Nov 1, 2007, 2:26:59 PM11/1/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com, Kelly Norton
[+Kelly Norton, who created a patch for this problem]

This is a known problem. There's a patch that has been vetting for a week or so now (see http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit-Contributors/browse_thread/thread/9f1a9423acbf9f26). This thread discusses the background of the problem and shows that people have seen the patch resolve the problem.

Take a look at that patch and you can see the change that was made to the .nocache.js selection script included with your app. You have a few options:
- You can manually to try to recreate the changes you find in the patch in your application's .nocache.js (knowing that it will get overwritten if you recompile)
- You can build GWT 1.4 from source (after having applied the patch) then recompile the app
- You can try to tweak the things about the host page that are inducing the problem in the first place; it happens due to a flaky IE behavior when you try to interact with the page before enough things have loaded, so pages with a lot of static HTML resources, it is more likely to happen.
- (Last resort) You can wait until we push out a new fixed version of 1.4, which should be a matter of days

wmat

Nov 2, 2007, 7:31:41 AM11/2/07
to Google Web Toolkit
My advice would be to test before deploying any new configuration.
That way you avoid urgencies like this one.

Walden

On Nov 1, 2:26 pm, "Bruce Johnson" <br...@google.com> wrote:
> [+Kelly Norton, who created a patch for this problem]
>
> This is a known problem. There's a patch that has been vetting for a week or

> so now (seehttp://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit-Contributors/browse...).

> This thread discusses the background of the problem and shows that people
> have seen the patch resolve the problem.
>
> Take a look at that patch and you can see the change that was made to the
> .nocache.js selection script included with your app. You have a few options:
> - You can manually to try to recreate the changes you find in the patch in
> your application's .nocache.js (knowing that it will get overwritten if you
> recompile)
> - You can build GWT 1.4 from source (after having applied the patch) then
> recompile the app
> - You can try to tweak the things about the host page that are inducing the
> problem in the first place; it happens due to a flaky IE behavior when you
> try to interact with the page before enough things have loaded, so pages
> with a lot of static HTML resources, it is more likely to happen.
> - (Last resort) You can wait until we push out a new fixed version of 1.4,
> which should be a matter of days
>

> On Nov 1, 2007 1:25 PM, venceslav <teo.vel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I already put into the production server a 100% GWT business travel
> > application.
>
> > The site works well using GWT 1.3.3 - very nice, good speed, rpc works
> > very well.
> > I build even some ui components using MVC model - filtered calendar,
> > table etc.
>
> > Despite of the v1.3.3 successful development and deployment,
> > when the application is compiled using GWT 1.4.60,
> > with all runtime jar and js updated also to 1.4.60, IE6/7 on Win2000/
> > XP displays the following message:
>

> > "IE cannot open the Internet sitehttp://www.promoturism.ro.

> > Operation aborted"
>
> > This is a real business application.
> > My client is not quite happy...
>
> > Please give me a good advice.
>
> > You can visit/test 1.4.60 version of this application at:
> > http://www.promoturism.ro.
>

> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

Ravi

Nov 26, 2007, 7:19:42 AM11/26/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi Bruce Johnson ,
Can I apply this patch (some how ) to my GWT 1.4.6 binaries?

Regards,
Ravi

Bruce Johnson

Nov 26, 2007, 10:37:12 AM11/26/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
It isn't a patch, per se, but if you download and recompile with GWT 1.4.61, that should be the equivalent. I would highly recommend testing it thoroughly before putting it into production, since browsers are tricky beasts and there is a always a chance that your problem was somehow different than the one fixed in 1.4.61 -- although it does sound like the same thing.

Sumit Chandel

Dec 3, 2007, 7:02:09 PM12/3/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ravi,

For more complete instructions on how you can apply the patch, check out Kelly and Jason's posts on the thread below:

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/browse_thread/thread/4697fc7611124136/920da895675d556f?lnk=gst&q=1.4.61#920da895675d556f

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel