GWT 1.5 Milestone 1 now available for download

Bruce Johnson

Mar 6, 2008, 2:48:53 PM3/6/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Hi everybody,

GWT 1.5 isn't finished yet, but it is starting to get close. I'm happy to report that the first milestone build of GWT 1.5 is now available:

   http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=4&q=version%3A1.5+quality%3Amilestone

(Note the odd version number of 0.0.2030 to help make it obvious that you shouldn't use it for anything important.)

For milestone builds like this, please understand that there are still known problems, and it is use-at-your-own-risk. It *definitely* isn't ready for production use. For example, this milestone build is missing release notes, and it doesn't include the developer guide documentation. So, you should expect some trial and error getting everything to work.

Are your expectations low enough yet? Well, I also have some good news about what's included in this milestone:
  • The Java 1.5 syntax is fully supported, including generics, enums, nice "for" loops, autoboxing, static imports, annotations, and so on
  • Support for generics in RPC (no more @gwt.typeArgs!)
  • The ability to subclass JavaScriptObject for very straightforward JavaScript interop
  • Standards mode is now supported by the UI library (though there may be a few remaining bugs)
There are lots of other neat things in there if you dig a little. You can see details in the issue tracker, or if you're really interested (or really bored), you can browse the commit logs.

Things to be aware of that may trip you up:
  • GWT 1.5 requires Java 5 or later
  • The compiler output now goes into a subdirectory (e.g. ".../std" or ".../xs", depending on your linker settings)
  • To encourage people to start using annotations and generics instead of the javadoc metadata, you'll see warnings about uses of old-style metadata such as @gwt.typeArgs; it is intentionally annoying :-)
  • The benchmark classes have moved into a separate package; should be easily fixable using your IDE's auto-import fixup
  • As a performance improvement, widgets now often call DOM.sinkEvents() lazily, when listeners are actually added rather than in the constructor. Sometimes, widget subclasses implicitly depend on the set of events sunk in the superclass' constructor. Consequently, if you are overriding onBrowserEvent() in a widget subclass and certain events mysteriously stop firing, you should explicitly call DOM.sinkEvents() in your subclass constructor for the events you depend on (don't worry, sinking an event more than once has no effect). If the preceding sentences made no sense at all to you, then you shouldn't be affected.
We really hope you'll try it out, and we 're eager to see what you think so far. Please report bugs in the issue tracker, and discuss it in the contributors forum.

Enjoy!

-- Bruce, on behalf of the GWT team

Ray Cromwell

Mar 6, 2008, 2:53:33 PM3/6/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com

Bruce,
  Thanks for including a separate Leopard build in the main distribution.

-Ray

Bruce Johnson

Mar 6, 2008, 2:59:30 PM3/6/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
As much as I'd like to, it was all Kelly. Thanks Kelly!

Ray Cromwell

Mar 7, 2008, 1:07:38 AM3/7/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com

Scott,
  The new JSO subclassing ablity is supposedly part of this milestone, but I didn't notice any JsField/JsMethod/etc annotations in the distribution. Are these going to be in the .core package somewhere, or within JSO scope in the future, or are these going to be part of a separate JSIO package? I thought these annotations were going to be special first class citizens/instrinics that GWT treated specially.

-Ray

Emilio Bravo

Mar 7, 2008, 3:33:09 AM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Congratulations.

This is a long-awaited version.
The only I miss is the support of BigDecimal. I created
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1857&q=BigDecimal
for this issue.
BigDecimal is more important for financial applications.
Can you add this issue for the final 1.5 version?

Thanks a lot.

On 6 mar, 20:48, "Bruce Johnson" <br...@google.com> wrote:
> [...]
> - The benchmark classes have moved into a separate package; should be
> easily fixable using your IDE's auto-import fixup
> - As a performance improvement, widgets now often call DOM.sinkEvents()
> lazily, when listeners are actually added rather than in the constructor.
> Sometimes, widget subclasses implicitly depend on the set of events sunk in
> the superclass' constructor. Consequently, if you are overriding
> onBrowserEvent() in a widget subclass and certain events mysteriously stop
> firing, you should explicitly call DOM.sinkEvents() in your subclass
> constructor for the events you depend on (don't worry, sinking an event more
> than once has no effect). If the preceding sentences made no sense at all to
> you, then you shouldn't be affected.
>
> We really hope you'll try it out, and we 're eager to see what you think so

luca.masini

Mar 7, 2008, 7:09:54 AM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Is this

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-math/

enough for you Emilio ?

On 7 Mar, 09:33, Emilio Bravo <emilio....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations.
>
> This is a long-awaited version.
> The only I miss is the support of BigDecimal. I createdhttp://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1857&q=B...

Ian Petersen

Mar 7, 2008, 11:16:32 AM3/7/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I just downloaded and unpacked the Linux version. The first thing I
did was open gwt-module.dtd in gvim and I see a whole bunch of ^M
characters all over the place. Not a big deal--I'll probably never
open that file again anyway--but it'd be cool if the Linux version of
the text files were run through dos2unix before archiving them.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com

L Frohman

Mar 7, 2008, 1:16:36 PM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
This is great. I had a problem compiling with i18n, all the xxx.properties lines
with a ' (single quote) caused it to fail.

      Rebinding com.parvia.common.client.i18n.messages
         Invoking <generate-with class='com.google.gwt.i18n.rebind.LocalizableGenerator'/>
            Processing interface com.parvia.common.client.i18n.messages
               Generating method body for home_motto()
                  When locale is 'default', property 'home_motto' has the value 'it's small here'
                     Failed to parse the message it's small here so cannot verify the number of passed-in arguments

If I take out all the ', it compiles fine.

John Tamplin

Mar 7, 2008, 1:24:24 PM3/7/08
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM, L Frohman <lfro...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is great. I had a problem compiling with i18n, all the xxx.properties lines
with a ' (single quote) caused it to fail.

      Rebinding com.parvia.common.client.i18n.messages
         Invoking <generate-with class='com.google.gwt.i18n.rebind.LocalizableGenerator'/>
            Processing interface com.parvia.common.client.i18n.messages
               Generating method body for home_motto()
                  When locale is 'default', property 'home_motto' has the value 'it's small here'
                     Failed to parse the message it's small here so cannot verify the number of passed-in arguments

If I take out all the ', it compiles fine.

If this is a Messages subinterface, the strings are in MessageFormat format.  That means that quotes have to be doubled, as they are used to quote braces.  For example:
  • don''t tell me that
  • '{0}' this brace is commented, {0} this is not
The old version improperly parsed a number of strings and did not properly warn on certain errors.  It will be improved further when the i18n changes are committed.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer, Google

Scott Blum

Mar 7, 2008, 2:00:58 PM3/7/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Ray, that stuff isn't in yet.  It's really just syntactic sugar anyway-- the core functionality you need is in, and you can write the JSNI by hand.

GeekyCoder

Mar 7, 2008, 2:42:45 PM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
To GWT team,

GWT 1.5/1.4 is great. The only issue is the compilation is taking
quite noticeably slow as application can more complex even as I
running it in Core 2 1.7GHz CPU with 2GB ram. I do understand it is
perform complex permutation to optimize the javascript. Still, is
there any way to improve the compilation speed ?

For a moderate application, it is taking around 15 sec to compile.
thx

Bruce Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> - The benchmark classes have moved into a separate package; should be
> easily fixable using your IDE's auto-import fixup
> - As a performance improvement, widgets now often call DOM.sinkEvents()
> lazily, when listeners are actually added rather than in the constructor.
> Sometimes, widget subclasses implicitly depend on the set of events sunk in
> the superclass' constructor. Consequently, if you are overriding
> onBrowserEvent() in a widget subclass and certain events mysteriously stop
> firing, you should explicitly call DOM.sinkEvents() in your subclass
> constructor for the events you depend on (don't worry, sinking an event more
> than once has no effect). If the preceding sentences made no sense at all to
> you, then you shouldn't be affected.
>
> We really hope you'll try it out, and we 're eager to see what you think so

Emilio Bravo

Mar 7, 2008, 2:43:23 PM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Good Job !!!!!!., works fine.

Thanks a lot.

Arthur Kalmenson

Mar 7, 2008, 5:44:56 PM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
15 seconds isn't bad, it takes over a minute on my machine (albeit
it's a crappy Pentium D). One way around it is to check your work in
hosted mode but have a regular build that'll deploy your application.
So when you want to make sure it works in a number of browsers (if
you're not using Selenium), you'll probably have the latest build
already up and running.

On Mar 7, 2:42 pm, GeekyCoder <geekyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To GWT team,
>
> GWT 1.5/1.4 is great. The only issue is the compilation is taking
> quite noticeably slow as application can more complex even as I
> running it in Core 2 1.7GHz CPU with 2GB ram. I do understand it is
> perform complex permutation to optimize the javascript. Still, is
> there any way to improve the compilation speed ?
>
> For a moderate application, it is taking around 15 sec to compile.
> thx
>
> Bruce Johnson wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
>
> > GWT 1.5 isn't finished yet, but it is starting to get close. I'm happy to
> > report that the first milestone build of GWT 1.5 is now available:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=4&q=ve...
>
> > (Note the odd version number of 0.0.2030 to help make it obvious that you
> > shouldn't use it for anything important.)
>
> > For milestone builds like this, please understand that there are still known
> > problems, and it is use-at-your-own-risk. It *definitely* isn't ready for
> > production use. For example, this milestone build is missing release notes,
> > and it doesn't include the developer guide documentation. So, you should
> > expect some trial and error getting everything to work.
>
> > Are your expectations low enough yet? Well, I also have some good news about
> > what's included in this milestone:
>
> > - The Java 1.5 syntax is fully supported, including generics, enums,
> > nice "for" loops, autoboxing, static imports, annotations, and so on
> > - Support for generics in RPC (no more @gwt.typeArgs!)
> > - The ability to subclass
> > JavaScriptObject<http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/JavaScriptObjectRede...>for
> > very straightforward JavaScript interop
> > - Standards mode is now supported by the UI library (though there may
> > be a few remaining bugs)
>
> > There are lots of other neat things in there if you dig a little. You can
> > see details<http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list?can=2&q=miles...>in

Robert kebernet Cooper

Mar 7, 2008, 6:39:30 PM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I am experiencing a problem with the Mac 10.5 version. Specifically:

[ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/Users/kebernet/Applications/gwt-
mac_10.5-0.0.2030/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/emul/java/util/
Collections.java'
[ERROR] Missing message: compilation_internalError in:
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.messages
java.lang.NullPointerException
[ERROR] Line 248: The type Enumeration is not generic; it cannot be
parameterized with arguments <T>

Anybody else seeing this?

Ray Cromwell

Mar 7, 2008, 8:08:46 PM3/7/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com

You can also reduce the number of deferred binding permutations by using <set-property> during development.

-Ray

avadh

Mar 7, 2008, 8:33:12 PM3/7/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I am using JSON and in 1.5 I am having problem in working with JSON.
Well I didn't try that code in 1.4 as I wrote that today only.
Here is the error that I get:

ERROR] Unable to load module entry point class
com.softuse.client.Clippy (see associated exception for details)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/google/gwt/json/client/JSONValue
at com.softuse.client.Clippy.<clinit>(Clippy.java:84)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.loadClassFromSourceName(ModuleSpace.java:
532)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:332)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserWidget.attachModuleSpace(BrowserWidget.java:
325)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.moz.BrowserWidgetMoz.access
$000(BrowserWidgetMoz.java:35)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.moz.BrowserWidgetMoz
$ExternalObjectImpl.gwtOnLoad(BrowserWidgetMoz.java:55)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.g_main_context_iteration(OS.java:
1428)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2840)
at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.pumpEventLoop(GWTShell.java:744)

So does anyone know what can be the problem?
I also can't switch to 1.4 because I have problem with the bug 1702
[http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1702]

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Avadh

On Mar 7, 8:08 pm, "Ray Cromwell" <cromwell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can also reduce the number of deferred binding permutations by using
> <set-property> during development.
>
> -Ray
>
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Arthur Kalmenson <arthur.k...@gmail.com>

John Tamplin

Mar 7, 2008, 8:47:24 PM3/7/08
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM, avadh <avad...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am using JSON and in 1.5 I am having problem in working with JSON.
Well I didn't try that code in 1.4 as I wrote that today only.
Here is the error that I get:

Did you import the JSON module in your .gwt.xml file?

Luc Claes

Mar 8, 2008, 3:19:37 AM3/8/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Excellent !

We experienced only minor glitches when testing ContactOffice's code
with the 1.5 milestone:
(two @gwt.typeArgs produced compilation errors. Easily fixed by
generics).
Obfuscated code size reduction, without source code modification: 8%

Luc

On Mar 6, 8:48 pm, "Bruce Johnson" <br...@google.com> wrote:
> [...]
> - The benchmark classes have moved into a separate package; should be
> easily fixable using your IDE's auto-import fixup
> - As a performance improvement, widgets now often call DOM.sinkEvents()
> lazily, when listeners are actually added rather than in the constructor.
> Sometimes, widget subclasses implicitly depend on the set of events sunk in
> the superclass' constructor. Consequently, if you are overriding
> onBrowserEvent() in a widget subclass and certain events mysteriously stop
> firing, you should explicitly call DOM.sinkEvents() in your subclass
> constructor for the events you depend on (don't worry, sinking an event more
> than once has no effect). If the preceding sentences made no sense at all to
> you, then you shouldn't be affected.
>
> We really hope you'll try it out, and we 're eager to see what you think so

John Tamplin

Mar 8, 2008, 9:21:14 AM3/8/08
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Luc Claes <luc....@gmail.com> wrote:

Excellent !

We experienced only minor glitches when testing ContactOffice's code
with the 1.5 milestone:
(two @gwt.typeArgs  produced compilation errors. Easily fixed by
generics).
Obfuscated code size reduction, without source code modification: 8%

Great!  What about the performance, which according to our tests should be a much bigger improvement?

Luc Claes

Mar 8, 2008, 11:06:00 AM3/8/08
On Mar 8, 3:21 pm, "John Tamplin" <j...@google.com> wrote:

> Great! What about the performance, which according to our tests should be a
> much bigger improvement?

The only thing I can tell you for the moment is that the hosted mode
startup time used to be around 30 seconds with GWT 1.4.
With 1.5: 11 seconds !
Once again: excellent !

Luc

P.G.Taboada

Mar 10, 2008, 4:33:15 AM3/10/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
A few days ago I noticed the archtictural changes concerning the
Linker and the new output folder hierarchy. Is there more
documentation about this new feature?

Just wondering: Is any one already working on an Adobe Air Linker and
integration module?

At the Wrap-Up in GWT Conference last year it was clearly stated that
documentation would improve with 1.5 - what is the status here?

brgds

Papick

Henri Karapuu

Mar 10, 2008, 11:01:44 AM3/10/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
My compile times went seriously south :(

With couple of weeks old build from trunk compile was around 14
second, now with M1 it takes 45 seconds.

/Henri Karapuu

Toby Reyelts

Mar 10, 2008, 11:19:58 AM3/10/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com, Scott Blum, hkar...@gmail.com
Can you reproduce this faithfully? If it's truly a slowdown that was introduced within the last two weeks, we might have a chance of being able to mitigate it before final.

Henri Karapuu

Mar 11, 2008, 1:20:18 AM3/11/08
On Mar 10, 5:19 pm, "Toby Reyelts" <to...@google.com> wrote:
> Can you reproduce this faithfully? If it's truly a slowdown that was
> introduced within the last two weeks, we might have a chance of being able
> to mitigate it before final.

It seems that this slowdown only affects one module, other compiles
work ok. If nobody else is experiencing slowdowns i have to assume
that it's caused by the module, which btw has not been updated to 1.5
language level yet and has also tons of @gwt.typeArgs deprecated
warnings. The module is something like 500+ classes so updating it to
1.5 language level is going to take bit of time. If that does not fix
the speed i'll email back and/or open an issue, but for now i think
you can assume this is an isolated problem.

/Henri Karapuu

Scott Blum

Mar 11, 2008, 12:22:05 PM3/11/08
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Henri Karapuu <hkar...@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems that this slowdown only affects one module, other compiles
work ok. If nobody else is experiencing slowdowns i have to assume
that it's caused by the module, which btw has not been updated to 1.5
language level yet and has also tons of @gwt.typeArgs deprecated
warnings. The module is something like 500+ classes so updating it to
1.5 language level is going to take bit of time. If that does not fix
the speed i'll email back and/or open an issue, but for now i think
you can assume this is an isolated problem.

If you are indeed generating hundreds of log messages, that could account for some of the slowdown.

AndyG

Mar 11, 2008, 12:55:11 PM3/11/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors

What are chances of getting some kind of switch to suppress those
typeArgs warnings? I am using a 3rd party GWT-based widget library
which (given that GWT 1.5 isn't officially released yet) is still
using the old idioms. It makes finding the real compile / runtime
errors among the noise difficult.

- andy

Mr. R08040

Mar 12, 2008, 9:14:10 AM3/12/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
AFAICT this release doesn't contain stuff from the incubator project.
Will 1.5 final?

Many thanks,
Rob

Jeremy Przasnyski

Mar 18, 2008, 4:03:42 PM3/18/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I am seeing this same error. I'm also on Mac OSX 10.5
Have you found the cause or solution yet?

Jeremy

On Mar 7, 4:39 pm, Robert kebernet Cooper <keber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am experiencing a problem with the Mac 10.5 version. Specifically:
>
> [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/Users/kebernet/Applications/gwt-
> mac_10.5-0.0.2030/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/emul/java/util/Collections.java'
> [ERROR]  Missing message: compilation_internalError in:
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.messages
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> [ERROR] Line 248:  The type Enumeration is not generic; it cannot be
> parameterized with arguments <T>
>
> Anybody else seeing this?
>
> On Mar 7, 3:44 pm, Arthur Kalmenson <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 15 seconds isn't bad, it takes over a minute on my machine (albeit
> > it's a crappy Pentium D). One way around it is to check your work in
> > hosted mode but have a regular build that'll deploy your application.
> > So when you want to make sure it works in a number of browsers (if
> > you're not using Selenium), you'll probably have the latest build
> > already up and running.
>
> > On Mar 7, 2:42 pm, GeekyCoder <geekyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > ToGWTteam,
>
> > >GWT1.5/1.4 is great. The only issue is the compilation is taking
> > > quite noticeably slow as application can more complex even as I
> > > running it in Core 2 1.7GHz CPU with 2GB ram. I do understand it is
> > > perform complex permutation to optimize the javascript. Still, is
> > > there any way to improve the compilation speed ?
>
> > > For a moderate application, it is taking around 15 sec to compile.
> > > thx

Nick Nadgauda

Mar 22, 2008, 1:22:23 PM3/22/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I had the same issue. It's a conflict with GWTx. That package
defines java.util.Enumeration. Just delete this file from the GWTx
distribution and you should be ok.

On Mar 18, 4:03 pm, Jeremy Przasnyski <jeremy....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am seeing this same error. I'm also on Mac OSX 10.5
> Have you found the cause or solution yet?
>
> Jeremy
>
> On Mar 7, 4:39 pm, Robert kebernet Cooper <keber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I am experiencing a problem with the Mac 10.5 version. Specifically:
>
> > [ERROR] Errors in 'jar:file:/Users/kebernet/Applications/gwt-
> > mac_10.5-0.0.2030/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/emul/java/util/Collections.j­ava'

Robert "kebernet" Cooper

Mar 29, 2008, 1:57:08 PM3/29/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Actually, the solution for me was to make sure that the classpath is built with gwt-dev.jar and gwt-user.jar FIRST in the classpath in that order.
--
:Robert "kebernet" Cooper
::kebe...@gmail.com