[ANN] GWT maven plugin released

nicolas.deloof

Nov 22, 2008, 12:43:15 PM11/22/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
The Mojo team is pleased to announce the release of the GWT Maven
Plugin version 1.0.

http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-plugin/

This is the first stable release after some month of real-life tests
in sandbox.

To get this update, simply specify the version in your project's
plugin configuration:

<plugin>
<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
<artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>1.0</version>
</plugin>

Regards,

Nicolas De loof

Ray Cromwell

Nov 22, 2008, 3:08:32 PM11/22/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to see this plugin and the one from Charlie Collins (total)
unified, cause it seems like each have valuable nonoverlapping
features and a real stable feature rich production quality plugin
should be blessed by google in much the same way as ide plugins and
ant tasks.

Even though the gwt team doesn't use maven, a sizable market of people
do and all major ides now integrate tightly with it.

Just my two cents.

On Nov 22, 2008, at 9:43 AM, "nicolas.deloof"

nicolas.deloof

Nov 23, 2008, 2:18:48 AM11/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Mojo.codehaus.org is the place where maven community starts plugins
ideas or incubates third-party ones. They can get focus from many
developpers and improve, until they get new releases.

The gwt-maven mojo has been created as an experiment but failed due to
GwtCompiler System.exit(). I then came to fix this and add support for
"no installation" libs.zip, and other stuff like Asyn code generation.

Charlie Collins as any other contributor is welcome to join the large
Mojo community and donate code / help to improve the plugin with any
new feature.

I google guys want to maintain themselve a gwt plugin, they could
either join Mojo, or Mojo could donate the plugin to GWT.

Nicolas

On 22 nov, 21:08, Ray Cromwell <cromwell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see this plugin and the one from Charlie Collins (total)
> unified, cause it seems like each have valuable nonoverlapping
> features and a real stable feature rich production quality plugin
> should be blessed by google in much the same way as ide plugins and
> ant tasks.
>
> Even though the gwt team doesn't use maven, a sizable market of people
> do and all major ides now integrate tightly with it.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> On Nov 22, 2008, at 9:43 AM, "nicolas.deloof"

Ray Cromwell

Nov 23, 2008, 2:25:03 AM11/23/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Nicolas,
I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. I just wanted to
point out that Charlie Collin's plugin has been out a lot longer and
has many more people using it. It's great that the Mojo version has
finally been brought up to a similar state, I just lament the fact
that there are so few people maintaining gwt maven plugins that it
might serve better to have a unified project. Charlie Collins recently
did this with his Android Maven pluging, merging it with the Masa
plugin which had a different featureset.

I am not involved in either project, I'm just a heavy user of
gwt-maven plugin from Charlie's project, and long term, I'd like to
see a sort of defacto standard GWT maven plugin, defacto standard GWT
repo, etc. Right now, everyone and their brother is putting GWT
packages into repos, using various packaging schemes.

-Ray

nicolas.deloof

Nov 23, 2008, 3:20:25 AM11/23/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I understand your point of view,

I just want to notice Mojo project has been created to avoid such case
of multiple plugins for same use-cases / technology.

Anyone can get write acces to Mojo when donating a plugin, and this is
the primary place where maven user will search for maven a maven
plugin to support XX technology. It doesn't use the constraining
Apache fundation release and licensing rules, so Mojo committer are
free to create and promote nice plugins.

I was not aware of googlecode gwt-maven plugin when I searched one,
and found the one in Mojo sandbox that required some improvements. I
later was pointed to google code, but hopefully I didn't plan same
features.

Same issue may occur with android or any other technology. I myself
planned to study android and to support it as part of Mojo, but your
comment let me thing there is allready plugins available *somewhere*
for that ;) It would be better for such project to support own
plugins, to avoid such ambiguous brother plugins.
We (Mojo project) could also add links to such 3rd party plugins.

Cheers,
Nicolas

On 23 nov, 08:25, "Ray Cromwell" <cromwell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nicolas,
>   I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. I just wanted to
> point out that Charlie Collin's plugin has been out a lot longer and
> has many more people using it. It's great that the Mojo version has
> finally been brought up to a similar state, I just lament the fact
> that there are so few people maintaining gwt maven plugins that it
> might serve better to have a unified project. Charlie Collins recently
> did this with his Android Maven pluging, merging it with the Masa
> plugin which had a different featureset.
>
>   I am not involved in either project, I'm just a heavy user of
> gwt-maven plugin from Charlie's project, and long term, I'd like to
> see a sort of defacto standard GWT maven plugin, defacto standard GWT
> repo, etc. Right now, everyone and their brother is putting GWT
> packages into repos, using various packaging schemes.
>
> -Ray
>
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:18 PM, nicolas.deloof

Arthur Kalmenson

Nov 23, 2008, 10:03:18 PM11/23/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree with Ray, Charlie Collins has done a fantastic job on
the gwt-maven plugin and has some very important features that seem to
be missing from this plugin (an archetype, running GWTTestCases from
the GWTTestSuite, etc). I too would like to see these two plugins
merged together.

--
Arthur Kalmenson

nicolas.deloof

Nov 24, 2008, 4:00:29 AM11/24/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I have lots of respect for Charlie's work on its plugin

I don't miss an archetype for GWT (you only need one plugin config to
get GWT working !), and only use GWTTests for integration testing
purpose (unit tests are far more quicker). I can't see why the mojo
plugin couldn't run GwtTestSuite - but never tested.
That beeing said, this is just MY way to use gwt and maven together.
For example, googlecode gwt-maven has no support to create eclipse
launch configuration, but runs hosted mode from maven with remote
debugging. It also has (AFAIK) no support to generate Async interfaces
for RPC services.

Yu can also find many other gwt/maven plugins created for custom use
cases (nl.jteam:maven-gwt-plugin, some others attached as contribution
in Mojo Jira ...). This is not a good think if they overlap, but today
mojo vs googlecode gwt-maven-plugin is just about how you like to use
gwt with maven. The "run the compiler" part is the only common
element.

Maybe some official gwt hosted plugin could support the basic tools
(compiler, i18n) as a maven plugin, and others could then contribute
with other features. As a side effect, a gwt native support for maven
could benefict for better integration with GWTCompiler class, that has
changed many time and required us (maven plugin developpers) to fork a
JVM or other hack.

Nicolas

On 24 nov, 04:03, "Arthur Kalmenson" <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to agree with Ray, Charlie Collins has done a fantastic job on
> the gwt-maven plugin and has some very important features that seem to
> be missing from this plugin (an archetype, running GWTTestCases from
> the GWTTestSuite, etc). I too would like to see these two plugins
> merged together.
>
> --
> Arthur Kalmenson
>
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 3:20 AM, nicolas.deloof

Arthur Kalmenson

Nov 27, 2008, 9:23:05 AM11/27/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
Well it looks like the two plugins are merging, I'm very happy to hear
that! I look forward to the merging of the features of both of these
plugins.

--
Arthur Kalmenson

nicolas.deloof

Nov 27, 2008, 9:29:40 AM11/27/08
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
You just precede me to announce this more "officially" ;)

Charlie Collins join the Mojo.codehaus.org community to merge gwt-
maven plugin with the Mojo one.

Yet some work required to merge the goals / parameters and support
both features, but nothing blocking. Please be patient, we will deploy
SNAPSHOTs for early adopters ASAP.

Nicolas

On 27 nov, 15:23, "Arthur Kalmenson" <arthur.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well it looks like the two plugins are merging, I'm very happy to hear
> that! I look forward to the merging of the features of both of these
> plugins.
>
> --
> Arthur Kalmenson
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:00 AM, nicolas.deloof

Bruce Johnson

Nov 27, 2008, 10:41:07 AM11/27/08
to Google-Web-Tool...@googlegroups.com
That's great news guys.