Remove the omitted feature from the google mini

Grimm

Oct 2, 2008, 9:51:05 AM10/2/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Hi,

We have just recieved our Google Mini last week friday and are busy
setting it on our website and are busy creating the search page.

However we have hit a snag, when you do a search you get about 4
results and below it you get the following message "In order to show
you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very
similar to the 5 already displayed.If you like, you can repeat the
search with the omitted results included. " when you click the link it
shows all relavant results.

How do i remove the omitted feature, so than when a search is done it
will show all results

Thanks
Clive

Pablo Solera

Oct 2, 2008, 10:05:42 AM10/2/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Hi Clive,

Try using &filter=0 on your search query.

You can take a look what it does here:
http://code.google.com/apis/searchappliance/documentation/50/xml_reference.html#request_filtering

hth,

Pablo

Thiru

Oct 2, 2008, 7:03:30 PM10/2/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Pablo is right on the mark. If you do not want to append a search
parameter in your query, alternatively you can you the following
method. This involves editing the frontend xslt stylesheet.

1. For normal search results page:

In the stylesheet, search for : <!-- * space_normalized_query: q = /
GSP/Q * -->

and make that area look like this, (Note : the value zero will turnoff
the filtering functionality)

</xsl:if>
<input type="hidden" name="filter" value="0"/>
</xsl:template>

<!-- * space_normalized_query: q = /GSP/Q * -->

2. For advanced search results page:

Look for :

and add the following line before it :

<input type="hidden" name="filter" value="0"/>

So this is how it should look afterwards:

<input type="hidden" name="filter" value="0"/>

After saving the stylesheet, you might need to add &proxyreload=1 to
the search URL to reload the stylesheet. If you view the source of the
search page, you should see :

<input type="hidden" name="filter" value="0">

---

On Oct 2, 7:05 am, Pablo Solera <pablo.sole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Clive,
>
> Try using &filter=0 on your search query.
>
> You can take a look what it does here:http://code.google.com/apis/searchappliance/documentation/50/xml_refe...

Clive Bromfield

Oct 3, 2008, 2:29:33 AM10/3/08
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

However I'm not sure weather to replace the existing code or do I add it in.

bria...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2008, 5:07:05 AM10/3/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Hi Clive,

You might want to read the instructions again. :-) I think he is
telling you what to look for and what to replace. Also feel free to
test it yourself. :-)

Brian

Matt

Oct 17, 2008, 11:26:42 AM10/17/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Thiru,

In part 1 of your answer, you say "make that area look like this..."

Do you mean replace the line

<!-- * space_normalized_query: q = /
GSP/Q * -->

With the code you gave above? Or do you mean, add the code directly
above that line? Or do you mean, integrate the code with the code
above this line? It is unclear exactly what you meant.
> > > you the most relevant results, we haveomittedsome entries very
> > > similar to the 5 already displayed.If you like, you can repeat the
> > > search with theomittedresults included. " when you click the link it
> > > shows all relavant results.
>
> > > How do i remove theomittedfeature, so than when a search is done it

Thiru

Oct 17, 2008, 2:10:02 PM10/17/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Hi Matt,

On part 1, You need to search for the string
"space_normalized_query:". The vanilla xslt code will look like this :

</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

<!-- *** space_normalized_query: q = /GSP/Q *** -->

Now you want to add the line <input type="hidden" name="filter"
value="0"/> right below the string </xsl:if>. The modified code should
look like this:

</xsl:if>
<input type="hidden" name="filter" value="0"/>
</xsl:template>

<!-- *** space_normalized_query: q = /GSP/Q *** -->

Cheers,
Thiru

Matt

Oct 17, 2008, 2:12:46 PM10/17/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Thanks Thiru,

That works perfectly. Do I need to do that on the default frontend or
the custom front end that I've configured?

Thiru

Oct 17, 2008, 5:36:32 PM10/17/08
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Your choice :)

Cheers,
Thiru