Pagination Issue (when there are required fields)

Subramanian (Subbu)

Oct 27, 2010, 11:47:18 AM10/27/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Hi,
I am facing an issue with pagination on the google search appliance.

When I use these values:
start=0&num=10 , the total results count that google gives me is
1000+
but when I try to get to the 3rd page by passing in the params
start=30&num=10
the total results count comes back as 21. This happens for all pages
beyond page 3.

Note: This happens only when we include the requiredfields=<>
parameter in the url?

Is this an appliance issue? Can someone help me out here..

Thanks
Subbu

JMarkham

Oct 27, 2010, 11:59:03 AM10/27/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Hi Subbu,

Are you crawling and serving secured content?

Jeff

Dave Watts

Oct 27, 2010, 12:02:31 PM10/27/10
to google-search-...@googlegroups.com

The number of records returned is often an estimate, rather than an
actual verified value. This estimate changes as the user pages through
the results. There really isn't a lot you can do about this.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Subramanian (Subbu)

Oct 27, 2010, 12:46:51 PM10/27/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
yes, we crawl and serve both secured and un-secured contents.

Subramanian (Subbu)

Oct 27, 2010, 12:51:06 PM10/27/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
Thanks Dave. So I guess we cannot always rely on getting a correct
pagination of results. Is there any work around that you know of, to
get the pagination right?

On Oct 27, 11:02 am, Dave Watts <dwa...@figleaf.com> wrote:
> > I am facing an issue with pagination on the google search
> > appliance.
>
> > When I use these values:
> > start=0&num=10 , the total results count that google
> > gives me is 1000+ but when I try to get to the 3rd page
> > by passing in the params start=30&num=10 the total
> > results count comes back as 21. This happens for all
> > pages beyond page 3.
>
> > Note: This happens only when we include the
> > requiredfields=<> parameter in the url?
>
> > Is this an appliance issue? Can someone help me out
> > here..
>
> The number of records returned is often an estimate, rather than an
> actual verified value. This estimate changes as the user pages through
> the results. There really isn't a lot you can do about this.
>
> Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Softwarehttp://www.figleaf.com/http://training.figleaf.com/

JMarkham

Oct 27, 2010, 3:48:09 PM10/27/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
> yes, we crawl and serve both secured and un-secured contents.

The secured content is why the published counts do not match the real
counts. You have 21 results, but initial report says 1000+. This is
due to results being eliminated by the authorization checking after
the result set has been determined. This being the case, the
pagination is generally disabled not used when secure results are
involved. There is no means within the GSA to correct this issue.

To get around this, you would have to have an external system request
all results, so that you had the post-authorization count of results.
With this type of solution, you could get it to work, but its not
generally recommended to do that much processing for every page of
results.

Jeff

Subramanian (Subbu)

Oct 27, 2010, 4:08:42 PM10/27/10
to Google Search Appliance/Google Mini - Google Search Appliance/Google Mini
ok, thanks Jeff.