got v2.5 for linux working.

mikkoh

Dec 5, 2006, 12:06:30 PM12/5/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Im using Ubuntu Edgy on i386 and this is what I did to get it working:

1. I installed Picasa as usual (v2.2 for linux)
2. I started it up and scanned some folder containing photos
3. Shut down picasa AND the media detector
4. Instlled wine (apt-get install wine)
5. Downloaded picasa 2.5 for windows (wget
http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasaweb-current-setup.exe)
6. Installed it using wine (wine picasaweb-current-setup.exe)
7. When asked if I want to run Picasa, I did so, then I shut down
picasa AND the media detector (if running)
7. Moved the old picasa installation (as root):
cd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files
mv Picasa2 Picasa22
8. While in the same dir i copied the new installed Picasa 2.5:
cp -R home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Picasa2/ .
8. Then it just worked... Good luck!

I had big troubles getting the start up logo disappearing, this is why
some steps are kind of awkward.

Imoq

Dec 11, 2006, 8:27:23 PM12/11/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I followed the instructions and got it working.

I had to do this since 2.2 was freezing randomly on my system (FC5),
I'll see how this version does now.

Thanks for the help!

Imoq

Dec 12, 2006, 2:23:54 PM12/12/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
So far, 2.5 has been working like a charm. MUCH better than 2.2, I
think I'll keep using it untl there is an "official" Linux release.

Thanks again for the tips to make it work!

Bradly Lawrence

Dec 13, 2006, 7:59:36 AM12/13/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I tried those steps, it runs fine under the normal wine, but when I
copy it to the other picasa install, all I get is the splash screen and
the media detector.

Any suggestions?

Ernst

Dec 14, 2006, 3:36:00 PM12/14/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

I got two thinks:
- The originally dirver crashed when I wanted to access SATA drives. I
think installing the module 'ntfs-3g' has solved this
- In Ubuntu's repositories, not the newest version of Wine is included.
Add this to your lists of repositories:
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main
and update wine before you're going to install the new Picasa.
Hopefully, it will work now (this fixed my installation).

jmc...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2006, 4:47:39 PM12/21/06
mikkoh wrote:
> Im using Ubuntu Edgy on i386 and this is what I did to get it working:

Neat! I just followed these steps and quickly got the latest version
running. About Picasa tells me I now have:

Picasa Version 2.6.0 (Build 35.9700,0) for Linux

I find that last part - "for Linux" - interesting.

TJ

Dec 23, 2006, 2:40:04 PM12/23/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I also installed it uisng this procedure on Fedora Core 6. I worked
great. But, it runs very slow on my system. I am not sure if it my
system or Picasa. This is only an AMD Athlon 2400 w/ 768MB RAM.

Spark

Dec 27, 2006, 12:33:37 AM12/27/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

It performs a rescan and database update after upgrade....it will
eventually settle down and performance should be the same as older
release....or it at least it was for me and I'm only using PIII
Celeron 800Mhz w/ 512Mb. I upgraded to 2.6 release...

mihai007

Dec 30, 2006, 4:39:03 PM12/30/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
It seems that your steps are not working under Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper
i386), with wine-0.9.28
I get only a splash screen and that's it, nothing more than that.
Well i'll have to wait some months until people from picasa will make
the new linux version (hope that will be ready before the summer
tho...)
:(

SiM07

Dec 30, 2006, 5:33:12 PM12/30/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I translate this explication in French for my blog, Tank you very much.

rmjb

Jan 3, 2007, 12:26:26 PM1/3/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
This works for me too, just as you said. And now, not only does the web
upload work, but I can also use the Gift CD option. It creates an ISO
that I can burn later. The Gift CD is disabled in the official Picasa
for Linux version.

The integration with Firefox still needs to extend to the Web Albums
though. When I try to go to my Web Album by clicking something in
Picasa, nothing happens. Links on the Help menu still work.

Thanks for the HOWTO,
- rmjb

Jono

Jan 3, 2007, 9:33:33 PM1/3/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
OK - I am 90% of the way there...

I have installed as per the instructions above, Picasa fires up and
works fine and I am able to use the Web Albums functionality. The
problem is adding existing folders to Picasa - I have used folder
manager and selected the parent folder. The photos found in the root of
that folder are added but none of the photos from the recursed sub
directories are being seen.

I have my photos stored in the following:
/home/<USERNAME>/photos/

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Jono

Jan 3, 2007, 9:57:52 PM1/3/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Ok - did some more digging and figured it out.

If you suffer the same problem, go into the Tools->Preferences and
ensure that you set the location for your imported photos to be your
existing collection. For some reason it wouldn't pick up my photos
until I had done this...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jono

dank

Jan 4, 2007, 11:41:37 AM1/4/07
rmjb wrote:
> This works for me too, just as you said. And now, not only does the web
> upload work, but I can also use the Gift CD option. It creates an ISO
> that I can burn later. The Gift CD is disabled in the official Picasa
> for Linux version.

The current Picasa for Windows has a few code changes to
benefit Picasa for Linux. The ISO creation fallback is one of
them. Enjoy!
- Dan

exilist

Jan 5, 2007, 2:49:17 AM1/5/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
It worked!
Except of Webfunctions, like webalbum,
can anyone use this functions to?

Barefoot Ted

Jan 10, 2007, 4:06:15 PM1/10/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Well, I followed the steps as outlined here.

All was well, I allowed Picasa to run, then I shut it down.

I followed steps 7 and 8.

However, when I start Picasa, the logo screen just comes up and does
not change.

Sounds like I have the problem you thought you fixed.

How do I fix it? After all, it DID start up in set 6

Best Regards, Ted

Barefoot Ted

Jan 10, 2007, 4:15:52 PM1/10/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Fixed it.

I have to start Picasa from a new Wine menu in my applications bar.

Sorry for the trouble.

Best Regards, Ted

mikkoh

Feb 19, 2007, 3:40:31 PM2/19/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Step 2 was crucial. Follow all steps for higher success rate :)

Best Regards, Mikko