Web-album in picasa for linux

gustaf

Jan 22, 2007, 7:52:08 AM1/22/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
When will there be web-album capabilities in picasa for linux?

/G#

Axllent

Jan 23, 2007, 1:24:01 AM1/23/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I am waiting eagerly for this myself too! I thought they would have had
it out long ago but nothing yet :-/

Costas

Jan 23, 2007, 1:27:55 AM1/23/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I'm wondering if the fact that google took the linux version off the
main Picasa page is an indication that google might not be planning to
support this in the future?

I know techs on this forum have stated they're working on it though - I
for one am greatful that Picasa is out for Linux and really hope Google
continues to progress it along.

dank

Jan 23, 2007, 6:02:26 AM1/23/07
Costas wrote:
> I'm wondering if the fact that google took the linux version off the
> main Picasa page is an indication that google might not be planning to
> support this in the future?

I see it when I go to http://picasa.com. If you don't see it, can
you post the URL where you don't see it, and maybe a screenshot?
(And your country and IP address?)

> I know techs on this forum have stated they're working on it though - I
> for one am greatful that Picasa is out for Linux and really hope Google
> continues to progress it along.

We're definitely working on it. The holdup at the moment is it's
having trouble talking with Blogger; it's a bit of a challenge to debug
https sessions, but we'll get it ironed out before too long. I'm
sure there will be a few more holdups after that, but all in all things
aren't looking too bad.
- Dan

mnk.dk

Jan 23, 2007, 2:20:05 PM1/23/07
dank wrote:
> Costas wrote:
> > I'm wondering if the fact that google took the linux version off the
> > main Picasa page is an indication that google might not be planning to
> > support this in the future?
>
> I see it when I go to http://picasa.com. If you don't see it, can
> you post the URL where you don't see it, and maybe a screenshot?
> (And your country and IP address?)

I don't see any links to the Linux version of Picasa.
Screenshots: http://picasaweb.google.com/www.mnk.dk/PicasaScreenshots
The screenshots have NOT been uploaded with Picasa :-)

Mathias, Copenhagen, Denmark (89.150.182.23)

Axllent

Jan 28, 2007, 4:50:54 AM1/28/07

On Jan 24, 8:20 am, "mnk.dk" <www.mnk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dank wrote:
> > Costas wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if the fact that google took the linux version off the
> > > main Picasa page is an indication that google might not be planning to
> > > support this in the future?
>

> > I see it when I go tohttp://picasa.com. If you don't see it, can

> > you post the URL where you don't see it, and maybe a screenshot?

> > (And your country and IP address?)I don't see any links to the Linux version of Picasa.

> Screenshots:http://picasaweb.google.com/www.mnk.dk/PicasaScreenshots
> The screenshots have NOT been uploaded with Picasa :-)
>
> Mathias, Copenhagen, Denmark (89.150.182.23)

I don't see it either (exact same view as the screenshots above)....

New Zealand (203.160.125.36)

mav

Jan 29, 2007, 10:48:38 AM1/29/07
On 22 Sty, 13:52, "gustaf" <gustaf.riddersto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When will there be web-album capabilities in picasa for linux?
>
> /G#

Picasa 2.5 works under wine and it exports to Web Albums just fine.
Checked it yesterday and it worked!

dank

Jan 30, 2007, 9:40:02 AM1/30/07
On Jan 28, 1:50 am, "Axllent" <axll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > (And your country and IP address?)I don't see any links to the Linux version of Picasa.
>
> > Mathias, Copenhagen, Denmark (89.150.182.23)
>
> I don't see it either (exact same view as the screenshots above)....
>
> New Zealand (203.160.125.36)

I dimly recall now:
The original picasa for linux was not tested for anything but English,
so perhaps the folks doing the picasa web site decided to not
publicize it on
non-US web sites.

It's not yet certain that the next version of picasa for linux will
officially support other languages, but if it does, maybe
the link to picasa you're missing will show up.
- Dan

dank

Jan 30, 2007, 10:00:47 AM1/30/07
On Jan 29, 7:48 am, "mav" <maciej.treb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When will there be web-album capabilities in picasa for linux?
>
> Picasa 2.5 works under wine and it exports to Web Albums just fine.
> Checked it yesterday and it worked!

For completeness, which version of Wine did you test with?

We (well, really, the fine folks at Codeweavers) have been slowly
pushing fixes out to winehq.org over the last couple months.
The most recent fix is for a blogging bug, and
although it was posted to wine-patches, it
hasn't yet made it into cvs or a released version of wine.
- Dan

Pasi Savolainen

Jan 30, 2007, 11:56:35 AM1/30/07
On Jan 29, 5:48 pm, "mav" <maciej.treb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 Sty, 13:52, "gustaf" <gustaf.riddersto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When will there be web-album capabilities in picasa for linux?
>
> > /G#Picasa 2.5 works under wine and it exports to Web Albums just fine.

> Checked it yesterday and it worked!

I installed picasa 2.5 on Ubuntu/edgy with wine 0.9.30 a couple of
days ago and while it installs and runs,
it will not autoscan directories (and will not find any images).
It also seems to hang when going to 'Import' -view (I don't have any
cameras or scanners attached).

zorba

Feb 1, 2007, 12:13:07 PM2/1/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
> > > /G#Picasa 2.5 works under wine and it exports to Web Albums just fine.
> > Checked it yesterday and it worked!
>
> I installed picasa 2.5 on Ubuntu/edgy with wine 0.9.30 a couple of
> days ago and while it installs and runs,
> it will not autoscan directories (and will not find any images).
> It also seems to hang when going to 'Import' -view (I don't have any
> cameras or scanners attached).
i've just upgraded from 0.9.29 to 0.9.30, so far:
- scanning dirs still works (as before)
- switching to import view works (though i haven't imported anything
from it)
- uploading to web album works !! (at last)

using windows picasa installation (2.6.0 build 35,9700)

dmitr...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2007, 7:21:42 PM2/1/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
This original post was NOT mine (and I don't remember where I got it),
so I'm not trying to take credit for it, but it sure as hell WORKS!

"
PICASA 2.5 web-album

Im using Ubuntu Edgy on i386 and this is what I did to get it working:

1. I installed Picasa as usual (v2.2 for linux)
2. I started it up and scanned some folder containing photos
3. Shut down picasa AND the media detector
4. Instlled wine (apt-get install wine)
5. Downloaded picasa 2.5 for windows (wget
http://dl.google.com/picasa/picasaweb-current-setup.exe)
6. Installed it using wine (wine picasaweb-current-setup.exe)
7. When asked if I want to run Picasa, I did so, then I shut down
picasa AND the media detector (if running)
7. Moved the old picasa installation (as root):
cd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/Program Files
mv Picasa2 Picasa22
8. While in the same dir i copied the new installed Picasa 2.5:
cp -R home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Picasa2/ .
8. Then it just worked... Good luck!
I had big troubles getting the start up logo disappearing, this is why
some steps are kind of awkward.

Enzo

Feb 3, 2007, 2:12:00 AM2/3/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Thanks for the detailed installation guide! I followed it and can only
confirm! Picasa 2.6 works just fine using Ubuntu Edgy...

On 2 Feb., 01:21, "dmitriyr...@gmail.com" <dmitriyr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This original post was NOT mine (and I don't remember where I got it),
> so I'm not trying to take credit for it, but it sure as hell WORKS!
>
> "
> PICASA 2.5 web-album
>
> Im using Ubuntu Edgy on i386 and this is what I did to get it working:
>
> 1. I installed Picasa as usual (v2.2 for linux)
> 2. I started it up and scanned some folder containing photos
> 3. Shut down picasa AND the media detector
> 4. Instlled wine (apt-get install wine)

> 5. Downloaded picasa 2.5 for windows (wgethttp://dl.google.com/picasa/picasaweb-current-setup.exe)

Darren Chuck

Feb 7, 2007, 5:00:15 AM2/7/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Everything's fine here with lastest Picasa 2.6 and WINE 0.9.30
The only problem is that whenever I click to sign in webalbum, picasa
blurs my screen and hangs up my machine or even reboots it.

This could be due to a bug in picasa or my hardware because picasa
behaves the same on windows (on the same machine).

dank

Feb 7, 2007, 1:30:25 PM2/7/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

Bugs in Picasa should not be able to lockup or reboot your computer;
the operating system is supposed to provide protection against
that.

You should probably have your system looked at.
Are you overclocking, by any chance?
- Dan

Darren Chuck

Feb 7, 2007, 10:02:40 PM2/7/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

No overclocking here.
I doubt whether it's the fault of nvidia binary driver, or due to
glibc 2.5

The crash occurs consistently whenever I click to sign in web album

dank

Feb 8, 2007, 1:20:27 PM2/8/07
On Feb 7, 7:02 pm, "Darren Chuck" <darren.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Everything's fine here with lastest Picasa 2.6 and WINE 0.9.30
> > > The only problem is that whenever I click to sign in webalbum, picasa
> > > blurs my screen and hangs up my machine or even reboots it.
>
> > > This could be due to a bug in picasa or my hardware because picasa
> > > behaves the same on windows (on the same machine).
>
> No overclocking here.
> I doubt whether it's the fault of nvidia binary driver, or due to
> glibc 2.5
>
> The crash occurs consistently whenever I click to sign in web album

Let's talk about the system rebooting first.
How reliably can you reproduce that under Linux?
And how reliably can you reproduce that under Windows?
- Dan

Darren Chuck

Feb 8, 2007, 9:08:56 PM2/8/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

Last night I rolled back to glibc 2.3.6 and xorg's nv driver.
The problem was still there.

I also found that it's not rebooting actually. It just hangs up my
system and gives no signal to my monitor so i thought it was a reboot.

This occurs on both Linux and Windows with the same machine.

dank

Feb 9, 2007, 7:10:06 AM2/9/07
On Feb 8, 6:08 pm, "Darren Chuck" <darren.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last night I rolled back to glibc 2.3.6 and xorg's nv driver.
> The problem was still there.
>
> I also found that it's not rebooting actually. It just hangs up my
> system and gives no signal to my monitor so i thought it was a reboot.
>
> This occurs on both Linux and Windows with the same machine.

Out of curiosity, when the system locks up like that,
what happens when you go to another computer on
the same network and try to ping it or ssh to it?
If it's not a severe problem, maybe you can log in
via the network and see what's up.

It really is sounding like a hardware problem, though.
You might try *underclocking*, I had to do that on a couple
systems in the past.
If you have the parts, I'd start swapping out components
(power supply, RAM, CPU, motherboard, graphics card)
until I found out what was causing the problem.

Anyway, this is getting kind of off-topic for this mailing
list; it really isn't a Picasa problem, picasa is just the
tool you use to trigger the hardware bug.
- Dan

dudus

Feb 23, 2007, 1:13:53 AM2/23/07
On Jan 23, 9:02 am, "dank" <daniel.r.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're definitely working on it. The holdup at the moment is it's
> having trouble talking with Blogger; it's a bit of a challenge to debug
> https sessions, but we'll get it ironed out before too long. I'm
> sure there will be a few more holdups after that, but all in all things
> aren't looking too bad.

Oh my god, debug https is somewhat impossible in my mind.

Are these changes being committed to wine cvs or you keep this patches
around to bundle with next picasa4linux version?

I installed Picasa using wine-0.9.30, It's working fine, with small
glitches.

Thanks for the good work

dank

Feb 23, 2007, 9:21:22 AM2/23/07
On Feb 22, 10:13 pm, "dudus" <eduardocer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh my god, debug https is somewhat impossible in my mind.

It was rather a challenge, especially since the code in question
was buried in the mozilla activex component. Kudos to Michael
for figuring it out.

> Are these changes being committed to wine cvs or you keep this patches
> around to bundle with next picasa4linux version?

No changes needed. It seems Mozilla was just unhappy that
c:\windows\system32 (aka ~/.picasa/drive_c/windows/system32)
had no dlls in it.
Copy a few in and it will probably start working.
I haven't tried it myself, so ymmv.
- Dan

Michael

Feb 23, 2007, 1:47:35 PM2/23/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
> No changes needed. It seems Mozilla was just unhappy that
> c:\windows\system32 (aka ~/.picasa/drive_c/windows/system32)
> had no dlls in it.
> Copy a few in and it will probably start working.
> I haven't tried it myself, so ymmv.

A more complete fix (which is basically what the next release will do)
is to replace the drive_c/windows/ symlinks with real dirs, then let
the Picasa wrapper script populate the dirs with appropriate files.
The following steps should do it for you:

cd ~/.picasa/drive_c/windows
rm system32 system command inf.done/*
cp -prd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/windows/command .
cp -prd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/windows/system32 .
cp -prd /opt/picasa/wine/drive_c/windows/system .
picasa

Michael

moktin

Mar 14, 2007, 4:10:55 AM3/14/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hello,
I've got some problemes lauching picasa following your steps.
I can install it without problems, but when the installation is
finish, I can't launch it :

fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN
connection.
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x8f45a0 "?" wait timed
out in thread 0028, blocked by 001e, retrying (60 sec)

I'm using ubuntu edgy on mac book core duo.

Someone have an idea about this ?
Thank you

On Feb 2, 8:21 am, "dmitriyr...@gmail.com" <dmitriyr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This original post was NOT mine (and I don't remember where I got it),
> so I'm not trying to take credit for it, but it sure as hell WORKS!
>
> "
> PICASA 2.5 web-album
>
> Im using Ubuntu Edgy on i386 and this is what I did to get it working:
>
> 1. I installed Picasa as usual (v2.2 for linux)
> 2. I started it up and scanned some folder containing photos
> 3. Shut down picasa AND the media detector
> 4. Instlled wine (apt-get install wine)

> 5. Downloaded picasa 2.5 for windows (wgethttp://dl.google.com/picasa/picasaweb-current-setup.exe)

moktin

Mar 14, 2007, 4:20:40 AM3/14/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hello
Following your steps I've can't lauch picasa.
I just can see the splashscreen, and that's all.
When I launch by the shell, I've got this error :

fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN
connection.
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xXXXXXX "?" wait timed

out in thre
ad 0028, blocked by 001e, retrying (60 sec)
Any idea ?

wrote:

> This original post was NOT mine (and I don't remember where I got it),
> so I'm not trying to take credit for it, but it sure as hell WORKS!
>
> "
> PICASA 2.5 web-album
>
> Im using Ubuntu Edgy on i386 and this is what I did to get it working:
>
> 1. I installed Picasa as usual (v2.2 for linux)
> 2. I started it up and scanned some folder containing photos
> 3. Shut down picasa AND the media detector
> 4. Instlled wine (apt-get install wine)

> 5. Downloaded picasa 2.5 for windows (wgethttp://dl.google.com/picasa/picasaweb-current-setup.exe)

Chris Miller

Mar 14, 2007, 11:07:42 AM3/14/07
to mok...@gmail.com, Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
That's interesting. I'm using Picasa on Feisty Fawn with no problems.
I use KNetworkManager, however, so it might be that it's expecting
something with that (it works for me, not for you, so I'm just
speculating).

--
It's not much, but it's what I call 127.0.0.1

John Neiberger

Mar 18, 2007, 7:29:43 PM3/18/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Add my name to the list of people wanting a native Picasa in linux.
I've got a version running and it works well, but it's missing web
albums.

Google, I know you're doing your best, but please help! Get a native
linux version for those of us non-Microsoft users.

Thanks!

Charl P. Botha

Apr 8, 2007, 4:02:57 AM4/8/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

On Mar 14, 5:07 pm, "Chris Miller" <lordsauronthegr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's interesting. I'm using Picasa on Feisty Fawn with no problems.

I've followed the instructions posted by dmitriyr333 AT gmail.com -
now when I startup the new Picasa, I get the splash screen and that's
it... it doesn't disappear until I manually kill all Picasa
processes. Any ideas?

Charl P. Botha

Apr 8, 2007, 4:33:42 AM4/8/07
On Apr 8, 10:02 am, "Charl P. Botha" <cpbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 5:07 pm, "Chris Miller" <lordsauronthegr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That's interesting. I'm using Picasa on Feisty Fawn with no problems.
>
> I've followed the instructions posted by dmitriyr333 AT gmail.com -
> now when I startup the new Picasa, I get thesplashscreen and that's

> it... it doesn't disappear until I manually kill all Picasa
> processes. Any ideas?

I've tried everything suggested in the thread
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux/browse_thread/thread/f7e5f7b7ea8e1ae7/5813a208c93ee69a?lnk=gst&q=splash&rnum=1#5813a208c93ee69a
- still no luck.

I'm also using fglrx with an ATI X1600 mobility on the Feisy Fawn beta
(up to date as of 20070408). I've tried with both UseFastTLS 2 and
with "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1", both to no avail. This is with the
Picasa2.2 wine, and I tried with both Picasa 2.6 binaries installed
with wine-0.9.33 and with Windows XP.

Large WINEDEBUG below:

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {a1f4e726-8cf1-11d1-bf92-0060081ed811}
not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {a1f4e726-8cf1-11d1-bf92-0060081ed811}
not registered
err:ole:create_server class {a1f4e726-8cf1-11d1-bf92-0060081ed811} not
registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {a1f4e726-8cf1-11d1-
bf92-0060081ed811} could be created for for context 0x17
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID
{a1f4e726-8cf1-11d1-bf92-0060081ed811}, hres is 0x80004002
fixme:ole:CoResumeClassObjects stub
fixme:urlmon:InternetSession_RegisterNameSpace (0x7cb4c9b8
{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} L"http" 0 (nil) 0)
fixme:urlmon:DllGetClassObject {79eac9e5-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}:
no class found.
err:ole:create_server class {79eac9e5-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b} not
registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {79eac9e5-
baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b} could be created for for context 0x17
fixme:urlmon:InternetSession_RegisterNameSpace ((nil)
{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} L"https" 0 (nil) 0)

fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN
connection.

cpbotha@meep2:~$ fixme:win:FlashWindowEx 0x7fbc92f8
fixme:win:FlashWindowEx 0x7fbca00c
fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithHandleData
fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpFilterMemory
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceA ((null),"Picasa"): stub
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L"",L"Picasa"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventA (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000001,(nil),
0x0001,0x00000000,0x6ac6e9d0,(nil)): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000001,(nil),
0x0001,0x00000000,0x7fd98830,(nil)): stub
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Picasa has crashed. A crash dump has been
generated: C:\\windows\\temp\\Picasa070408-102829.dmp\nCrash ID =
4618a7aed05."
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
cpbotha@meep2:~$ WINEDEBUG=1 picasa
[...]

0x0001,0x00000000,0x6ac5e9d0,(nil)): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000001,(nil),
0x0001,0x00000000,0x7fd983b8,(nil)): stub
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Picasa has crashed. A crash dump has been
generated: C:\\windows\\temp\\Picasa070408-102931.dmp\nCrash ID =
4618a7ebd8a."
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

BaRaK

Apr 9, 2007, 6:36:05 AM4/9/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I have followed the steps on ubuntu feisty with no success, it
installed but hangs at the splash screen :( no error messages. any
thoughts?
this is what i have running:

merritt 9519 0.3 0.0 3984 1556 ? Ss 12:33 0:00 /opt/
picasa/wine/bin/../lib/../bin/wineserver
merritt 9522 0.3 0.4 1603768 17488 pts/0 SLl 12:33 0:00
PicasaMediaDetector
merritt 9699 0.2 0.4 1071316 14732 ? SLs 12:33 0:00
explorer.exe /
desktop
merritt 9789 1.1 1.2 1131808 44048 pts/0 SLl 12:34 0:00
Picasa2
merritt 9804 3.3 0.2 56872 9920 ? S 12:35 0:00 /usr/
lib/metacity/metacity-dialog --screen 0 --timestamp 6377689 --kill-
window-question Picasa 0x4000001
root 9805 0.0 0.0 2560 992 pts/1 R+ 12:35 0:00 ps
auxwww

Apr 12, 2007, 10:07:01 PM4/12/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Another Ubuntu Feisty user with this same problem.

I'm running Feisty 7.04 beta (on a pressario M2000 semperon laptop).
First installed Picasa "for linux" 2.2 - ran currectly, detected my
pictures, etc.
Then installed Wine, then Picasa for windows 2.6.

Windows Picasa fails to execute (wine Picasa2.exe) with the same error
as posted by Moktin earlier:

fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN
connection.
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xXXXXXX "?" wait timed
out in thre
ad 0028, blocked by 001e, retrying (60 sec)

After ovewriting the "linux Picasa 2.2" with the "windows Picasa 2.6";
I get the same problem as mentioned by others.
Hangs at the Splash screen.

Anyone else had any luck?

James

Apr 13, 2007, 8:25:55 AM4/13/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I installed Picasa 2.6 with the steps described earlier in SuSE 10.22
and it worked fine.

I am not using KNetworkManager. I get the

"fixme:wininet:InternetGetConnectedState always returning LAN
connection."

message so that seems normal, I do not get the

"err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0xXXXXXX"

What Linux are you using?

James.

On Mar 14, 4:07 pm, "Chris Miller" <lordsauronthegr...@gmail.com>

James

Apr 13, 2007, 8:33:22 AM4/13/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Sorry, this was a result of "Friday afternoon syndrome". Ignore the
question about the OS.

James.