Picasa for linux page down.

Ziaur Rahman

May 26, 2006, 3:12:01 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

Seems like the page is down: http://news.slash.sg/?p=72

primorec

May 26, 2006, 3:45:42 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

Ziaur Rahman

May 26, 2006, 4:13:41 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
This one is also down. Gives 404 Not Found error.

primorec

May 26, 2006, 4:31:44 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
It works for me as of May 26 1:27AM I am located in Silicon Valley,
California.

Try the following:
- CLOSE ALL browsers
- START the browser and then click on one of the links below:

* Free Download (.rpm) - for Red Hat/Fedora/Suse/Mandriva x86
http://picasa.google.com/linux/thanks-rpm.html
* Free Download (.deb) - for Debian/Ubuntu x86
http://picasa.google.com/linux/thanks-deb.html
* Free Download (.bin) - Self-extracting installer, for any x86
Linux distribution
http://picasa.google.com/linux/thanks-other.html

Ziaur Rahman

May 26, 2006, 4:33:58 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Ok, I get it. It doesn't work for those who are outside US. That sux. :P

christia...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 4:45:15 AM5/26/06

Ziaur Rahman wrote:
> Ok, I get it. It doesn't work for those who are outside US. That sux. :P

I am sitting in germany and the download does not work here either. Are
there any possibilities? Maybe a direct link?

I really would like to try it out.

Kind Regards,
Christian

Ziaur Rahman

May 26, 2006, 5:05:36 AM5/26/06

christia...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ziaur Rahman wrote:
> > Ok, I get it. It doesn't work for those who are outside US. That sux. :P
>
> I am sitting in germany and the download does not work here either. Are
> there any possibilities? Maybe a direct link?

That confirms its only available to USA for the moment. Maybe its
Google's "organized chaos" strategy.

NiKo

May 26, 2006, 5:05:48 AM5/26/06
Ziaur Rahman wrote:

> Ok, I get it. It doesn't work for those who are outside US. That sux. :P

Just use Google Translate as a free US proxy to solve the problem :
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasa.google.com%2Flinux%2F&langpair=en%7Cfr&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

(here french translation)

christia...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 5:15:34 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Thanks NiKo,
the downloads work!

Message has been deleted

Ziaur Rahman

May 26, 2006, 5:40:56 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

That's really great tip NiKo. :)

Thanks.

jani

May 26, 2006, 6:48:51 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I find the nyud.net cache to be much nicer and faster:
http://picasa.google.com.nyud.net:8080/linux/thanks-other.html
Stupid freakin google not realising there might be people living
outside the US.

mn...@minimum.se

May 26, 2006, 8:11:11 AM5/26/06
Ziaur Rahman wrote:
> Seems like the page is down: http://news.slash.sg/?p=72

Apparently Google did this on purpose. In the FAQ it says:
"Picasa for Linux is currently available only in the U.S., with an
English interface."
http://picasa.google.com.nyud.net:8080/linux/faq.html#23

I find that very odd and kind of arrogant actually... it sure is a
really strange way to treat your customers.

sincerely,
martin

lakiluno

May 26, 2006, 9:50:44 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

thats google for you

ah well...localised availability never stopped anyone ^_^

gary....@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 10:00:37 AM5/26/06

mn...@minimum.se wrote:
> Ziaur Rahman wrote:
> > Seems like the page is down: http://news.slash.sg/?p=72
>
> Apparently Google did this on purpose. In the FAQ it says:
> "Picasa for Linux is currently available only in the U.S., with an
> English interface."
> http://picasa.google.com.nyud.net:8080/linux/faq.html#23

Of course, you can't even READ the FAQ from outside the USA to know
that the 404 errors are not errors!

Please google, at least put a message up on your non-US clusters to say
something rather than the generic "page not found" errors

Alessio

May 26, 2006, 11:35:57 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

For me too