Web Upload to Picasa Web Albums

akn...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2007, 11:16:03 AM4/20/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Is this functionality unavailable to the Linux version?

dank

Apr 21, 2007, 8:24:13 AM4/21/07
On Apr 20, 8:16 am, "akn...@gmail.com" <akn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this functionality unavailable to the Linux version?

We're testing a new version that has web upload. Until it's
ready, you can install the Windows version under vanilla
Wine from winehq.org.
- Dan

Tabor...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2007, 11:21:45 PM4/27/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Do you have an ETA on that new version with web upload?

dank

Apr 28, 2007, 9:47:27 AM4/28/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
On Apr 27, 8:21 pm, "TaborKe...@gmail.com" <TaborKe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you have an ETA on that new version with web upload?

When it's ready. (Yes, we know, it's taking too long!)
- Dan

Vladimir

May 7, 2007, 10:33:52 AM5/7/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

> When it's ready. (Yes, we know, it's taking too long!)
let's put it this way: is it possible, that we will see it until the
end of summer?

dank

May 8, 2007, 9:18:38 AM5/8/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux

Yes.
- Dan

Vladimir

May 8, 2007, 12:59:14 PM5/8/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
that's great :) we can all wait.
you're doing a great job guys!

ic3man

May 13, 2007, 12:41:06 PM5/13/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
That's great to hear! I'm currently switching from windows to ubuntu,
and I was thrilled when I discovered that Picasa is available for
linux. I was very disappointed though when I discovered I couldn't
upload photos to the web albums. Can't wait for this feature!

Guga

May 13, 2007, 2:29:27 PM5/13/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hey guys,

While the Picasa Web Uploading isn't fully working, try F-Spot. It's
the Gnome photo management application, and it has web uploading to
Picasa. It's not as full-feature as Picasa, but it gets the job
done!

By the way, I just tried Picasa 2.7 with the new version of Wine which
was released yesterday and it's oh-so-close to working. It scans my
photos, has the web uploading button, but it just happens to freeze
whenever I click on an image. We're getting close! :)

Good luck,

Gustavo

Vladimir

May 14, 2007, 1:10:16 PM5/14/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
i did install 2.7 yesterday too. it works fine minus one trouble: does
not scan the photos (though it picked up in my $HOME/My Documents
directory)

tested on Gentoo Linux running wine 0.9.29

Lukas Zapletal

May 19, 2007, 6:19:52 AM5/19/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Great, I am looking for the new version with better export features. I
am still using F-Spot but thinking about Picassa for Linux... It loads
images very quickly and I like this feature.

jure

May 21, 2007, 12:24:00 PM5/21/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I'm on kubuntu and the windows version under wine works better than
the linux version, the uploading works and it also scans my folders
for new pictures. But it's not native so I'm using digikam for my
photo manager and picasa only when i need to upload pictures to web
albums.

Picasa4Ubuntu

May 22, 2007, 6:58:05 PM5/22/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Like everyone else here, I love Picasa. I also have a paid
subscription to picasaweb.google.com (needed the extra storage) using
another account. I'm running and hp Pavilion dv9000 with the Intel
Core 2 Duo. The OS is 64bit Ubuntu 7.04. Will I be able to run a
64bit version of this new release with Picasaweb on Ubuntu? Or will
this just run in 32bit mode? Can't wait to run a native linux version
with web upload. Thanks for all of your efforts all!

Phil S.

May 26, 2007, 3:31:55 AM5/26/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I was totally blown away when I discovered Picassa would run on Linux.
I am a new convert to Linux, and still drop back to Windows
occasionally, but am firmly determined I will NEVER own Vista. I
eagerly await the ability to upload to Web Albums. Until it is done,
I'll fall back to a Windows PC. Keep up the good work, Linux IS
coming. Native would be nice, but the financial realities are that
native apps are expensive and not always cost effective. I really
appreciate the efforts, and WINE wins as well. Thanks.

Phil S.

sid...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2007, 1:24:58 AM6/23/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
This is a much needed feature. For photo management, we have other
options in linux too, but picasaweb is the most important feature we
are looking in Picasa.

mhenriday

Jun 24, 2007, 12:41:29 PM6/24/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
What we need is a version of Picasa which includes the Web Album
upload, and which runs directly on Linux distros (i e, does not
require Wine) and supports both 64- and 32-bit systems. That would be
the proverbial five-cent cigar !...

Henri

Andrei MIREA

Jun 25, 2007, 9:22:12 AM6/25/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hi All,

Is there anything else except F-Spot in linux for uploading to web
album. I'm using KDE, and F-Spot requires a lot of Gnome packages to
be installed I never use otherwise.

Thanks

gaslight

Jun 27, 2007, 5:15:34 PM6/27/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
You might want to try the Firefox add-on called Universal Firefox
Uploader. It does a really nice job and lets you create folders, too.
And you don't have reindex your entire drive of images before using
it.

Good luck!

Andrei MIREA

Jun 29, 2007, 11:21:12 AM6/29/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
10x

this works just fine

Josh

Jun 29, 2007, 3:00:05 PM6/29/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Mine did the same thing, but I found that if you simply do a "File ->
Add File to Picasa..." and then select a picture from a watched folder
(any picture works) it will kick in and scan the entire folder
including all of the data from your ini files (if you have them) so I
did that for all 10 of my folders and now they are working great now.
I'm running on Fedora 7 w/ full blown wine-0.9.39-1.fc7.

I did have an issue with it hanging on startup but to solve it I
simply did this:
1) wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
2) rpm -ivh http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/downloads/cabextract-1.2-1.i386.rpm
3) ./winetricks tahoma
4) ./winetricks corefonts
5) rpm -vi ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/www.haoli.org/pub/redhat-7.x/RPMS/noarch/msttcorefonts-1.2-3.noarch.rpm

I have yet to experience the slow issues some people report and I can
upload to web albums just as fast as I could on Windows. Also, the
cool thing is that in the "Help -> About" window is shows "Picasa
Version 2.7 (Build 36.4000, 0) for Linux. They weren't joking when
they said they were getting close, just a few more bugs to work out.

Josh

dank

Jul 13, 2007, 11:11:13 AM7/13/07
On Jun 29, 12:00 pm, Josh <bpo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running on Fedora 7 w/ full blown wine-0.9.39-1.fc7.
>
> I did have an issue with it hanging on startup but to solve it I
> simply did this:
> 1) wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
> 2) rpm -ivh http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/downloads/cabextract-1.2-1.i386.rpm
> 3) ./winetricks tahoma
> 4) ./winetricks corefonts
> 5) rpm -vi ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/www.haoli.org/pub/redhat-7.x/RPMS/noarch/m...

Did you really need step 5? I would have thought that steps
3 and 5 would get rid of the need for step 5. What happens
if you do rpm -e msttcorefonts ?
- Dan

TwoOneSix

Jul 16, 2007, 2:31:06 PM7/16/07
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Picasa still works after the rpm -e. Not sure why I had to do it
previously... I think maybe the URL in the winetricks file was down
when it ran.

Josh

On Jul 13, 11:11 am, dank <daniel.r.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 29, 12:00 pm, Josh <bpo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm running on Fedora 7 w/ full blown wine-0.9.39-1.fc7.
>
> > I did have an issue with it hanging on startup but to solve it I
> > simply did this:
> > 1) wgethttp://kegel.com/wine/winetricks

> > 2) rpm -ivhhttp://www.kyz.uklinux.net/downloads/cabextract-1.2-1.i386.rpm

> > 3) ./winetricks tahoma