Picasa for Windows and for Linux

andr...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 10:51:00 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hello!
Can anyone tell me which difference between Linux and Windows versions?
I try to use Windows version on my Linux desctop over Wine - it works.
When i get news about Linux version i think that is a native Linux
port, but not :(
This news just a joke.

Xtof

May 26, 2006, 10:54:10 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Well it was not working for everybody... me included.

So this is good news - even if you cannot see it.

Everett Guerny

May 26, 2006, 11:16:06 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I heard about this a few months ago and from the beginning, it was
pretty clear to me that they were working with CodeWeavers to wrap the
Windows version with Wine (or Crossover Office or whatnot).

andr...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 11:38:14 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
In any case i think that good idea to make native port for Linux
(preffer for Qt/KDE or just Qt).

Irfan

May 26, 2006, 11:38:33 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
hehehe yuk
i totally agree.
why cant google do some "real" cross platform development instead of
using
wine.I have used both wine and crossover for some old hopeless apps
that wont ever have newer versions/technology leave alone cross
platform nature.
however picasa is a new app with active dev going on and hopefully many
many releases coming up in future.With technologies like Java and
Mono.NET one can easily build cross platform apps (maybe they require
a lil more effort).
I have always not liked this thing abt google, that only dev platform
seems to be windows.

dank

May 26, 2006, 11:44:01 AM5/26/06
On 5/26/06, andr...@gmail.com <andr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me which difference between Linux and Windows versions?

Very, very little. The main difference is that we improved Wine to the
point
where it could run the Windows version. We then bundled a copy of
Wine
with Picasa, and called that Picasa for Linux. (More or less; there
are a few
fine points that doesn't cover, but it's pretty close.)

> I try to use Windows version on my Linux desctop over Wine - it works.

Ah, good. Then our patches did the trick :-)
I assure you, large parts of Picasa didn't work on Wine before we got
started.
You can see the list of patches we committed at
http://code.google.com/wine.html

- Dan

dank

May 26, 2006, 11:46:48 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
We are doing "real" cross platform development, too, for other apps.

But there are a lot of those "old hopeless apps" you talk
about (think Visual Basic 6 database apps!).
Having those run well would make it easier for businesses
and governments to switch to Linux, so it's worth improving Wine, IMHO.

andr...@gmail.com

May 26, 2006, 11:48:07 AM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
> Ah, good. Then our patches did the trick :-)
> I assure you, large parts of Picasa didn't work on Wine before we got
> started.

Why you just not make native Linux port? You may use Qt as library for
many platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS X). In this case you may
recompile sources for all this platforms and get native apps for each
platform.

> You can see the list of patches we committed at
> http://code.google.com/wine.html

Wow ;)

dank

May 26, 2006, 11:55:20 AM5/26/06
Andrey wrote:
> Why you just not make native Linux port?

I would prefer that all new developent be done cross-platform. Picasa
was already written, though, so it was a good candidate for Wine. That
let the Picasa team focus on new projects. See my writeup at
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2006-May/047806.html

We knew that some people would object to using Wine for this port, but
we felt Wine was up to the task, and I think the Linux community will
benefit from a strong Wine project.
- Dan

dank

May 26, 2006, 11:58:51 AM5/26/06
Andrey wrote:
> Why you just not make native Linux port?

I would prefer that all new developent be done cross-platform. Picasa

_Andrey_

May 26, 2006, 12:03:48 PM5/26/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Dank, thank for your posts.

linux_die_hard

Jun 1, 2006, 9:28:37 AM6/1/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
You should have taken the approach Adobe did with Acobat reader: Port
the application properly to the new OS. Use established, mature
libraries (GTK+ would be my choice) not a product that looks like it
will forever be in beta (Wine). Test it to death under various window
managers (not just Gnome and KDE; include icewm, xfce and the other
lightweights) Release it properly for all major distros (including
source, for gentoo)

What Google has done is a simple quick and dirty.

Shame on you!

bullring

Jun 3, 2006, 11:43:23 PM6/3/06
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I agree completely... if you are going to truely support Picasa for
Linux make it run stand alone without the need for Wine and mozilla.