Picasa 2.7 will not start

notchrislee

Apr 23, 2008, 9:37:31 PM4/23/08
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I am using Slackware 12 with kernel 2.6.24.3 and cannot get picasa to
run.

I downloaded the rpm package and used rpm2targz, then pkgtool to
install without any problems. When I run picasa a splash screen
appears, the media detector shows up in the system tray, and a tab on
the panel displays something like "Picasa - Loading application".
After a few seconds the tab disappears and the area where the splash
screen was freezes. I need to use /opt/picasa/bin/killpicasa to get
rid of it.

ANy tips to get this working?

thanks,
chris

leiz

Apr 23, 2008, 10:36:04 PM4/23/08
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Extract the deb package using ar, then untar data.tar.gz and use that
instead.

Installpkg uses an older version of tar (grep for ^TAR in /sbin/
installpkg) because it has certain behaviors pvolkerding wants.
However, it also has a problem where some long filenames gets
truncated. Thus the package created by rpm2targz does not work
correctly.

On Apr 23, 6:37 pm, notchrislee <thatwasnotchris...@hotmail.com>

notchrislee

Apr 24, 2008, 2:26:05 PM4/24/08