message alert *wrong api key* = site inoperably!

dt

Jul 18, 2006, 7:20:34 AM7/18/06
to Google AJAX Search API
hi,
yesterday we had the discussion thread about wrong api key! for more
details see
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-AJAX-Search-API/browse_thread/thread/bda204359bb5552f/a0b17720eab5e404#a0b17720eab5e404

A) when a user wants to access an ajax.search.page from different
domains (e.g. http://www.mysite.xyz or http://mysite.xyz) an alert
message will popup. as a consequence, the ajax-search function will not
work, unless your api key is registered for the entered domain.

B) when a user wants to translate an ajax.search.page then the message
alert will popup again and no search function works.

ok, this project is still in beta, but i dont understand the key
validation system for the ajax search?
i think, this is not useful for spreading ajax.search service for www.
any idea? thx, dan

sha...@broadstar.com

Jul 18, 2006, 11:29:30 AM7/18/06
to Google AJAX Search API
I cant help you because I'm having the same problem, but I asked for a
key for: http://67.14.224.50/index.php and when I've added the AJAX
code to my page, it gives me this alert message: "google ajax search
api load failure: invalid api key".

how can it be invalid? i just signed up for the key. I'm not using the
map, just want the search.

thanx
sharon

Jacob

Jul 18, 2006, 11:56:37 AM7/18/06
to Google AJAX Search API
A lot of people are having this problem for the moment. I'm reluctant
to change my code since I didn't change it before the error popped up.
I am however seriously considering scrapping the AJAX search since
there seems to be no response from Google on this.

Sharon Gadbois

Jul 18, 2006, 2:16:25 PM7/18/06
to Google-AJAX...@googlegroups.com

Yeah ahh ... I've taken it out and just used the

<form action="http://www.google.com/search" method="get" /> instead.

Heres the page Im working with: http://67.14.224.50/index.php

thanx.

sharon

s!

sharon gadbois

Graphical & Web Designer

BroadStar

The Premier Provider of Cable TV, Telephone & Internet

3800 Park Central Blvd., North

Pompano Beach, FL 33064

Email: sha...@broadstar.com

WEB: www.BroadStar.com

Filipe

Jul 18, 2006, 8:51:26 PM7/18/06
to Google AJAX Search API
Yeah. I'm having trouble at my website also and considering SERIOLSY
the possibility of removing this ajax search stuff if google doesn't
solve this issue.

Many people are complaining about this error dialog in there.

mhl

Jul 19, 2006, 12:12:05 AM7/19/06
to Google AJAX Search API
I am working on it. Sorry for the confusion. The alert is new behavior
that we added because a few people were using bad keys and silently
getting no bits loaded.

Now, what is happening is the alert is a bit hyper active and is firing
for a bunch of cases that before were silent errors. For instance, I
have seen several cases where a key was registered for http://foo.com
and the code using the control is coming from www.foo.com as well as
foo.com. The new code I am testing is more lenient in cases like this,
as well as in cases where we are seeing mixed case in the host names.

I assure you that we are being responsive.

CJ Millisock

Jul 19, 2006, 9:21:57 AM7/19/06
to Google AJAX Search API
Cool thanks! :-)

mhl

Jul 19, 2006, 1:55:31 PM7/19/06
to Google AJAX Search API
everything should be "back to normal" now. You can now use a registered
key with both http://www.foo.com and http://foo.com url prefix.

Jacob

Jul 19, 2006, 4:33:12 PM7/19/06
to Google AJAX Search API
I'm still getting an error on my page
http://www.reimers.dk/atlas/map.aspx

The map API manages to validate the key but not the AJAX API :-(

mhl

Jul 19, 2006, 10:27:39 PM7/19/06
to Google AJAX Search API
In your application there are two loads of the search API.

One load is done using a key of:
ABQIAAAAbFr2j2SCJM0YXkw9znmhuxRL6LkS-LkFtv7-0vycq5DgRudRWBScsgWivNbqG-3oX0hqXn4_PEoyRg

A few lines later you are loading the Google Maps API using this same
key:
ABQIAAAAbFr2j2SCJM0YXkw9znmhuxRL6LkS-LkFtv7-0vycq5DgRudRWBScsgWivNbqG-3oX0hqXn4_PEoyRg

Both of these loads are successful.

A few lines after this, you have another load of the search API. This
time you are using a key of:
ABQIAAAAeyv8gcDntHyhkwL0B6UJpRQNDbVvh-vnHIZYgERJVe6hvN8vYBTL8PUslhhet3EI-tFWdmXk5A-yqw

This key is not valid for the http://www.reimers.dk/atlas/map.aspx URL.

This second load is causing the alert popup and is causing your
application to fail.

Previously, this second load would have failed silently, and would not
have impacted the previously successful load. Because of some recent
changes, this is no longer the case and this second failed load is
causing your appllication to fail.

I don't know what url the key for the second load is supposed to work
with. Maybe you can either remove that second load, or make sure the
key you use for it matches the URL of your app?