How send mail using Dos cmd telnet

Fuller

Sep 12, 2008, 1:43:51 PM9/12/08
to Gmail-Users
Hello everybody I can't send mail using the simple command dos Telnet
let me show you whats happened:

telnet smtp.gmail.com 25
220 mx.google.com ESMTP d38sm19739792and.20
ehlo gmail.com
250-mx.google.com at your service, [63.81.99.3]
250-SIZE 35651584
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
MAIL FROM:blab...@gmail.com
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. d38sm19739792and.20

Ok then I just put this cmd down:

STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

MAIL FROM:b

Suddenly I'm Losing connection to host.

C:\Documents and Settings>

Zack (Doc)

Sep 12, 2008, 1:56:51 PM9/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure the dos telnet supports TLS?!? That's what it sounds
like to me, that it doesn't.

--

Carrie Fisher - "You can't find any true closeness in Hollywood,
because everybody does the fake closeness so well."

Sean Murphy

Sep 12, 2008, 2:04:06 PM9/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
    Well, I am not familiar with sending email via dos Telnet, but off the top of my head... Are you sure that you ahve changed the settings in Gmail's web site to enable POP? And, i am pretty sure that the correct port for Gmail SMTP is 587...

--Like Syrup of Ipecac,
these are the days of our lives

gmail

Sep 12, 2008, 2:04:04 PM9/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I think so, bcause when I hit Startlls cmd to activated it gives me that!!!

>STARTTLS
> 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

-----------------------------------------tt---------
Sep 12, 2008, 2:27:16 PM9/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
yes I did. and also I tried with 587. still got a problem !!!!
ping work's... I don't get it whats wrong with that.

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 11:04 AM

Zack (Doc)

Sep 12, 2008, 2:46:47 PM9/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Do you have documentation that proves the built-in telnet supports
TLS? I can't find any. I can't find any configuration to tell it
which security certificates to pull. I'm not convinced that it does
support it.

What you saw was a command to the server and a response that it was
setting it up. I get the same thing if I issue some type of zmodem
command, even though I'm pretty sure dos telnet has no zmodem
capability. It's the other side that does.

--

George Burns - "I was always taught to respect my elders and I've now
reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect."

bkennelly

Sep 12, 2008, 2:48:41 PM9/12/08
to Gmail-Users
You must connect with SSL or TLS, and simple telnet does not support
it. You can look for a telnet client that does or install stunnel
(http://www.stunnel.org) and use it to connect:

stunnel -cr smtp.gmail.com:465

You can also set up a stunnel listener and connect through telnet:
stunnel -d 25 -cr smtp.gmail.com:465

telnet localhost 25

On Sep 12, 11:27 am, "gmail" <bouz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes I did. and also I tried with 587. still got a problem !!!!
> ping work's... I don't get it whats wrong with that.

gmail

Sep 12, 2008, 2:59:02 PM9/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
ok thanks

Marko Vukovic

Zack (Doc)

Sep 30, 2012, 5:51:28 PM9/30/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Good point... my brain added the G cause, why else would someone post in this group :)  I assumed the G was just accidentally missed.

Marko Vukovic

Oct 2, 2012, 8:14:13 AM10/2/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
What exactly are you trying to do? This is a forum about Gmail.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM, gaurav dudeja <gaura...@gmail.com> wrote:
i am attachng what i mean to say

how to authenticate

--
Marko

Gaurav Dudeja

Oct 2, 2012, 9:29:49 AM10/2/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
actually what i attached is rejected

The Doctor

Oct 2, 2012, 7:26:13 PM10/2/12
to Gmail-Users
Gaurav,

I am a mod on this board and the only messages from you I've rejected
were duplicates of ones you posted already, or only a single word or
two. I have never seen an attachment in any of your messages.

To Marko and Zack's point, are you doing this with GMail, or some
other server? This group is for discussion of GMail, not mail
services and protocols in general.

Marko Vukovic

Oct 4, 2012, 6:30:42 AM10/4/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You have not said much about what you are trying to do.

Firstly, Gmail's SMTP servers use TLS.

You will have to do your own homework on this. Google is your friend. Search for something like 'connect to gmail smtp server from command line'.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM, gaurav dudeja <gaura...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's what i am trying to say

Marko

Zack (Doc)

Oct 4, 2012, 6:35:58 AM10/4/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Heck... there's even a URL in the response you were given which leads to good information.  Did you try loading it?  I did.

Gaurav Dudeja

Oct 4, 2012, 11:00:19 AM10/4/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
i try google already  but did not got any good info if someone know how to authenticate gmail account with telnet

Zack (Doc)

Oct 4, 2012, 8:50:35 PM10/4/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
REALLY?!?  I used Marko's exact phrase he suggested and the very first link had all the information you need:

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Gaurav Dudeja <gaura...@gmail.com> wrote:
i try google already  but did not got any good info if someone know how to authenticate gmail account with telnet

Eric Rossman

Oct 16, 2012, 4:24:07 PM10/16/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'll make this simple. You cannot send email using the telnet command.
Period. Gmail uses TLS authentication, and Windows telnet doesn't
support it. So, you cannot do it.

Marko Vuković

Oct 16, 2012, 5:23:38 PM10/16/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

TLS[1] has nothing to do with authentication. It is the encryption layer.
In order to complete the AUTH command, one also has to Base64 encode the username and password.
This can be achieved with Perl[2] and the Mime::64[3]
The TLS encrypted connection can be made with OpenSSL[4].
There is also the nifty sendEmail[5] application.

--
Marko