Message received notification

onew...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2009, 6:03:48 PM2/17/09
to Gmail-Users
How do I know when a message has been read by the receiver?
Is there a way I can get a recipt?

Fuzzy Logic

Feb 17, 2009, 8:56:54 PM2/17/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
You can ask them to let you know that they got it. There are no return
receipts in Gmail.

Fuzzy

©Sun

Feb 17, 2009, 6:41:33 PM2/17/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
oh  I was going to ask if there was a "certified receipt or return receipt requested" that was in Outlook (I say was because I haven't used Outlook in probably 6 years). Now that would be a great OPTION :o)

--
Hugz/Peace
☼Sun

Nick Chirchirillo

Feb 17, 2009, 11:57:25 PM2/17/09
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
If you search this group for "read receipt" or "return receipt" you will see many discussions on this topic.  All of them conclude with reliable receipts being technologically impossible and simply just a waste of time.  Long stories short, the way the return receipts in Outlook work is by telling the recipient that the sender is requesting a return reciept and asking if one can be sent.  All the recipient has to do is click no, and the sender will never know that it arrived.  There could be nothing devious in the recipient's intention to not send it, I would never send it because it's a hassle.
--
-Nick

©Sun

Feb 18, 2009, 9:00:37 PM2/18/09