PalmOS Gmail Client?

OcellNuri

Oct 16, 2006, 12:45:20 AM10/16/06
to Gmail-Users
Google releasing Google Maps Mobile for PalmOS is one of the best
things to happen to the platform in a long time. The app is fast,
clean, and stable. With its release my head started spinning as I
realized the implications of Google's interest in the PalmOS platform.

Gmail is accessable through POP of course, but then you lose your
ability to star and tag messages. It's features like these that are, to
me, the bread and butter of Gmail. I currently use Opera Mini on my
Treo 650 to use the WAP version of Gmail.

What I'd LOVE to see is a PalmOS client for Gmail. Such a client could
let us quickly star, tag, and filter our messages. Address fields could
auto-fill from our Gmail address book, and the app could even possibly
sync our PalmOS address book with our online Gmail address book.
Attachments could be sent and saved to and from our memory cards
easily.

One of the most exciting things a Gmail client could offer is push
e-mail... instant notification of new messages, perhaps based on
existing Gmail filters. (Only alert me of messages from my "family"
filter) Push Gmail would especially help those businesses that are
using hosted Gmail accounts with the Google Apps for Your Domain
program.

I searched the group to see if these ideas had been brought up before,
but found nothing. I hope this isn't a repeat of anything that's
constantly brought up. Does anyone else want to see this happen? I know
there are a TON of Google apps that we would all love to see ported to
the PalmOS, bypassing restrictive WAP interfaces, but I think a Gmail
client is one app that could completely revolutionize email on-the-go
for Palm users.

Bill Holmes

Oct 16, 2006, 11:56:49 AM10/16/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Maybe OneMail or Snappermail? I don't have a PDA so I just searched,
maybe these don't have the features you need. I think it is possible
that GMail might someday have it's own client, lots of people have
requested it.

Bill

--
Incredimail + GMail= IncrediGMail

http://groups.google.com/group/IncrediGmail/about

Adam Medcalf

Oct 16, 2006, 1:04:43 PM10/16/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As far as I know Snappermail is just another POP/IMAP client. I hadn't
seen OneMail before but from the looks of it at the end of the day
with Gmail is just acts in the same manner as a POP client (it's extra
useful for places like Yahoo who don't offer POP as standard).

I would also love to see a specific Gmail Palm client that allowed us
access to the special features of Gmail but also to read our mail
offline. I find Gmail's basic HTML view works OK with a web-browser on
my Palm, but it could be better and requires one to be online (can be
expensive!) to read anything.

Adam

AJackson

Oct 16, 2006, 5:47:35 PM10/16/06
to Gmail-Users
OcellNuri wrote:
> Google releasing Google Maps Mobile for PalmOS is one of the best
> things to happen to the platform in a long time. The app is fast,
> clean, and stable. With its release my head started spinning as I
> realized the implications of Google's interest in the PalmOS platform.

Cool... Have to bring my Palm back from the dead and using my mobile
(w. GPRS) to connect to Internet.

> One of the most exciting things a Gmail client could offer is push
> e-mail... instant notification of new messages, perhaps based on
> existing Gmail filters. (Only alert me of messages from my "family"
> filter) Push Gmail would especially help those businesses that are
> using hosted Gmail accounts with the Google Apps for Your Domain
> program.

You could try a Jabber client for PalmOS and connect it to GTalk (which
is XMMP or Jabber). I run Gajim on my Debian box and it tells me each
time I get a new message in my Gmail mailbox. Quite nice, acctually.
And then it is just to fire up my web browser if it's something
interesting.

I realy like Jabber, you can do so much more than just IM. So the
Jabber client should be usefull for other stuff to, like IM to GTalk
(and ICQ, MSN, etc). ;-)

I tried a few Jabber clients for PalmOS, but I didn't find any I liked,
but that was before I got a GTalk account ;-)

Good luck

Jim Barr

Oct 17, 2006, 10:18:04 AM10/17/06
to Gmail-Users
It doesn't fully address your needs, but navigating to
http://m.gmail.com loads a "mobile" version that's stripped down to be
lean for mobile use. It's missing some features, but it may be what you
are looking for...

-Jim Barr
http://GmailTips.com

OcellNuri

Oct 17, 2006, 4:02:45 PM10/17/06
to Gmail-Users
Thanks Jim, but from my original post:

"I currently use Opera Mini on my
Treo 650 to use the WAP version of Gmail."

The point of my post is to identify the ways in which a dedicated
client program could make the Gmail experience better on the PalmOS
platform.

OcellNuri

Nov 2, 2006, 2:03:53 PM11/2/06
to Gmail-Users