Place reply _after_ quoted text

Gioele

Feb 7, 2005, 8:16:24 AM2/7/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
GMail places your reply _before_ the quoted text.
Everybody knows this practice is plain stupid. If you have nothing
to quote then remove the quoted text; it you want to quote something
then place your comments under the text you're quoting.

Can GMail place the reply after the quoted text, or offer a choice
between "reply" and "quote"?

G.Waleed Kavalec

Feb 7, 2005, 12:35:45 PM2/7/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
No "everybody" doesn't know that .

Top-posting, as it is called, has been the norm in many Usenet groups
since before there was a WWW.
--

G. Waleed Kavalec
-------------------------------------

Greg Ritter

Feb 7, 2005, 12:53:21 PM2/7/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Everbody knows that's stupid??? Actually, no.

Placing the reply before the quoted text is the standard on most email
clients, although many provide this as a configurable option. Gmail
does not.

--g

"-"

Feb 7, 2005, 1:38:46 PM2/7/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Let's see if I can do this:

top posting!
bottom posting!
--
"-" dash

"-"

Feb 7, 2005, 1:39:48 PM2/7/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
It's true! You have a choice!

Now, which is "better?"

--
"-" dash

G.Waleed Kavalec

Feb 7, 2005, 2:42:35 PM2/7/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Top posting

SIDE POSTING - Show quoted text -

Bottom posting

...would be impressive.

Gioele

Feb 8, 2005, 7:20:10 AM2/8/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Many netiquettes discourage top quoting. And everybody should read
Netiquette before
starting using usenet or the email, just like everybody learns to talk
politely in public.

Some links

* "Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet"
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* "Quote Original Messages Properly in Replies"
http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et090402.htm
* For italian readers
http://list.telug.it/pipermail/telug/2003-July/005217.html

T. M. Tracy

Feb 8, 2005, 10:02:07 AM2/8/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
oh boy. 'cause about.com says it...then I now must change the way
that I post. yippie
--
T. M. Tracy
tmt...@gmail.com

Greg Ritter

Feb 8, 2005, 12:07:35 PM2/8/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Giole, the original statement that "GMail places your reply _before_
the quoted text." is accurate and correct. However, your follow-on to
it -- "Everybody knows this practice is plain stupid" -- is
inaccurate and condescending. That attitude that creates negative

A discussion of whether it's valuable for Gmail to, say, add
configuration options that would allow users to set whether the cursor
appears above or below quote text (or whether text is quoted at all)
could be possibly fruitful.

But getting your knickers in a twist about netiquette is not
productive, is off topic, and won't get resolved here anyway.

You might want to consider moving on to more constructive,
Gmail-oriented topics.

--g