Trying to filter on headers

Sean Rima

Nov 27, 2007, 3:36:50 AM11/27/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to create a filter which checks a header in an email but
cannot seem to get it to work, it is based on the Mailing-List: header.
Is there an easy way to do it

Sean

Zack (Doc)

Nov 27, 2007, 6:34:27 AM11/27/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Sorry but no, GMail does not search headers, and therefore cannot
filter on them. The one exception seems to be the recent addition of
a filter like this:
listid:"<Gmail-Users.googlegroups.com>"

Which is in effect what you are trying to do.

Sean Rima

Nov 28, 2007, 7:10:36 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 27, 2007 11:34 AM, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:

Sorry but no, GMail does not search headers, and therefore cannot
filter on them.  The one exception seems to be the recent addition of
a filter like this:
listid:"< Gmail-Users.googlegroups.com>"

Which is in effect what you are trying to do.

Indeed it is but fails with non googlegroups lists :(

Sean

Zack (Doc)

Nov 28, 2007, 8:13:08 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
The "listid" header option should be a standard. I'll have to check
from my two other mail servers to see if they are not setting it.

Zack (Doc)

Nov 28, 2007, 8:17:37 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I just checked 3 groups from YahooGroups and a mailing list I'm on
managed by a traditional list-serv and they all contain the "listid"
header, and work for that search. GMail even built the filter
automatically using the link in the "show details" mini-headers.

Sean Rima

Nov 28, 2007, 8:20:25 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:17:37 -0500, "Zack (Doc)" <za...@tnan.net> said:

> I just checked 3 groups from YahooGroups and a mailing list I'm on
> managed by a traditional list-serv and they all contain the "listid"
> header, and work for that search. GMail even built the filter
> automatically using the link in the "show details" mini-headers.

Works with those but I am also subscribed to groups that use ezelm
mailing list software and it doesn't have that header. Got around it
another way

Sean

Sean Rima

Nov 28, 2007, 8:21:33 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:13:08 -0500, "Zack (Doc)" <za...@tnan.net> said:

> The "listid" header option should be a standard. I'll have to check
> from my two other mail servers to see if they are not setting it.

Ezelm mailing list software doesn't use it. Think some older majordomo
software also doesn't

Sean

Zack (Doc)

Nov 28, 2007, 9:08:28 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Actually the list-serv I mentioned is on a very old majordomo, so it
certainly contains it as available. I suppose it's configurable to
turn off this standards based header message, but I can't imagine why
you'd want to.

Ezelm is fairly obscure. I can't find many references to it on the
net (in English at least), and most of them I see refer to posts where
it has problems with simple things like attachments and
case-insensitiveness (which is actually a requirement of the RFCs that
define mailing list headers). I'd suggest the list-owner upgrade to
software developed after 1990. There are plenty of free alternatives
out there.

Sean Rima

Nov 28, 2007, 9:44:57 AM11/28/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:08:28 -0500, "Zack (Doc)" <za...@tnan.net> said:

> Actually the list-serv I mentioned is on a very old majordomo, so it
> certainly contains it as available. I suppose it's configurable to
> turn off this standards based header message, but I can't imagine why
> you'd want to.
>
> Ezelm is fairly obscure. I can't find many references to it on the
> net (in English at least), and most of them I see refer to posts where
> it has problems with simple things like attachments and case-
> insensitiveness (which is actually a requirement of the RFCs that
> define mailing list headers). I'd suggest the list-owner upgrade to
> software developed after 1990. There are plenty of free alternatives
> out there.

Sadly the option of upgrading the software is not mine. A lot of Linux
groups use ezelm software for some reason. Oh well off to play I go :)

Sean

tjosephcarter

Jan 2, 2008, 8:24:28 PM1/2/08
to Gmail-Users
It works on /^List-Id: / but not on /^Mailing-List: / for DJB's
[CENSORED] qmail and it's [CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED] piece of crap
ezmlm... I''m trying to filter ezmlm lists.

Is there any help for it?

(And can you tell I just love ezmlm and qmail?)

On Nov 27 2007, 3:34 am, "Zack (Doc)" <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
> Sorry but no, GMail does not search headers, and therefore cannot
> filter on them.  The one exception seems to be the recent addition of
> a filter like this:
> listid:"<Gmail-Users.googlegroups.com>"
>
> Which is in effect what you are trying to do.

polarops

Feb 22, 2008, 12:21:17 PM2/22/08
to Gmail-Users
On Jan 2, 5:24 pm, tjosephcarter <tjosephcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27 2007, 3:34 am, "Zack (Doc)" <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
>
> > Sorry but no, GMail does not search headers, and therefore cannot
> > filter on them. The one exception seems to be the recent addition of
> > a filter like this:
> > listid:"<Gmail-Users.googlegroups.com>"

To clarify, "GMail does not search headers" excepting one case?

My problem:
I'm trying to filter out spam based on header information that arrives
with no specific recipient. However, it *is* sent to my junk email
address (forwarded to gmail) that I can filter on, except gmail won't
let me, I think.
e.g.
for <offendingSp...@my.domain.example.com>; 20 Feb
2008 19:25:17 -0000
So if I could filter on offendingSp...@my.domain.example.com
-- or some part of it -- I could trash this. I can't seem to catch
these. Apparently this is not possible in gmail?

Sorry if this has been covered, before. I did search for an answer and
found this thread.