smtp problems

steph

Nov 17, 2005, 3:25:11 PM11/17/05
to Gmail-Users
Is anyone having trouble with gmail's smtp (smtp.gmail.com?)
My email client is Outlook - my other 4 email accts (with my ISP's
SMTP) send fine. The gmail never leaves the outbox. This just happened
today.

wein...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2005, 12:44:06 AM11/18/05
to Gmail-Users
This started happening to me on the 17th as well - no idea why. I've
tried changing the smtp server to 465 and 875 and neither work.

Let me know if you figure this out.

Gerard Seibert

Nov 18, 2005, 4:33:24 PM11/18/05
to Gmail-Users
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:25:11 -0000, "steph" <clarke...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Gmail-Users] smtp problems
Nov 18, 2005, 9:45:56 PM11/18/05
to Gmail-Users
My smtp outgoing email doesn't work either...
Other ISP's (two!) work great...

Message has been deleted

Gerard Seibert

Nov 19, 2005, 8:23:50 AM11/19/05
to Gmail-Users
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:53:42 +1030, Pippa <pipp...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Gmail-Users] Re: smtp problems
Wrote these words of wisdom:

> Yes, yes and yes. Its been happening on more than one occasion to me
> especially in the last couple of weeks. I blamed my ISP originally but
> I think its the gmail end because its also happening to other people
> in my geographical locality when they try and send via gmails smtp.
> (In Australia)
>
> Pip
Nov 20, 2005, 11:03:27 AM11/20/05
to Gmail-Users
I have tried changing ports, using googlemail.com, logging on before
sending... all of the old tricks and still have not been able to send
mail on my gmail account through Outlook.

Has anyone had any success sending lately?

Thanks,

SthenBelle
http://dmoz.org

Cast...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2005, 8:06:56 PM11/20/05
to Gmail-Users
I'm a new user, and like it very much. But on my home computer, I can't
send gmail out unless I start in Picasa and attach a photo. I also
cannot change my gmail settings. I received a message suggesting that
my pop-up blocker might be to blame, so I disabled it for google. My
emails remain "drafts." Can anyone help? Where does one go for help?
Thanks-

mike

Dec 2, 2005, 11:16:31 PM12/2/05
to Gmail-Users
NO, IT IS BROKEN BADLY.

I have tried every possible setting and logon. netstat shows a valid
connection to gmail smtp on 465, so the ssl crap worked. then the mail
client hangs. i tried for days with the timeout cranked up to 10 min.
it just hangs there. I assume the gmail server is not responding as
reported by M$ outlook. I have not put a sniffer on there to verify,
though.

it used to work in the past, with occasional outages like this. now
the failure is permanent. I am giving up, sorry it didn't work out:)

use another smtp server (like your isp) and reset the ssl requirement
in the advanced tab. the port should automatically revert from 465
back to standard 25. If your isp or other smtp server allows relaying,
you are in. most isp in my experience forbid this. if you get
relaying denied messages, use the settings for "log on like this" or
"log on like that" (second tab from left, "outgoing server")

ms

mike

Dec 16, 2005, 2:24:33 PM12/16/05
to Gmail-Users
I finally fixed it. get M$ office update SP 3 (for me it is on office
2002). this fixes outlook's ability to send the message through the
secrue connection to smtp.gmail.com on 465. I had no luck trying other
ports, and was suprised that some people are reporting success trying
this.

I have tried long and hard, and gave up for several months. this is
the only thing that fixed it and I have tried every conceivable
combination of settings in outlook's mail setup.

Even the test button works now with 5 green checks!!!!! (it used to
work even though the "send test message" failed).

ms