Gmail via IMAP

kael

Sep 11, 2004, 7:02:30 AM9/11/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thanks to Adam Megacz we can access to our Gmail account via IMAP.

Just log on on <imap://gmail.megacz.com> with your useid@gmail.

It's uncredible ! Amazing ! Power of IMAP and Gmail together.

Please, see the
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.mail.imap&selm=x1pt50xu1d.fsf%40nowhere.com .

Hope you'll enjoy.

--
kael

http://kevan.org/extispicious.cgi?name=ubi.quito.us

JID: kael+ubi.quito.us//amessage.info

benmc...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2004, 1:16:10 PM9/22/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
This is great! I was wondering how you did it exactly so it could be
duplicated. I was also wondering if you know if google knows about
this. It seems simple enough to do, so what are they waiting for?

kael

Sep 26, 2004, 9:39:53 PM9/26/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 22/09/2004 19:16, benmc...@gmail.com wrote:

> This is great! I was wondering how you did it exactly so it could be
> duplicated.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. What have been duplicated ?

> I was also wondering if you know if google knows about this.

They are probably aware of this now.

> It seems simple enough to do, so what are they waiting for?

Maybe next February 30th. Or when Sergey Brin and Larry Page have golden
balls.

Gmail via IMAP has became a /taboo/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo.

--
kael

http://del.icio.us/ubi.quito.us

Mark G

Sep 26, 2004, 10:23:04 PM9/26/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
>Maybe next February 30th. Or when Sergey Brin and Larry Page have golden
>balls.

cmon kael, you're at it again.

why do you seem to be so pissed off with Google?

--
Mark L. Gamis
University of the Philippines

Bryon Sommers

Sep 26, 2004, 11:52:06 PM9/26/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering if it would defeat the whole purpose of Gmail. But
with normal email i would delete all the previous replies to a message
except the most recent one. Is it better to do that with Gmail as
well? Probably not now that i think about it...

Adam Lasnik

Sep 27, 2004, 12:05:50 AM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Your gut is right. When in doubt, don't delete.

What DO I delete?
- Event notices for events I won't be attending
- Spam (after reporting it)
- um, not much else, I guess

Regards,
Adam

--
VISIT ME: http://www.lasnik.net/ (writings, photos, music, and more)
IM ME: AdamLasnik on AIM / AOL / Yahoo / MSN-Hotmail

Fanis Hatzidakis

Sep 27, 2004, 12:11:54 AM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I haven't deleted a single valid email yet. I just archive them. As
for deleting the last one from a thread, that would require that noone
snips the previous talk in his reply, which many people including me,
do. It would also require that everyone replies to the exactly
previous email, so that you keep a full snapshot of the conversation
in the last email. That is ofcourse if you do care about such
meticulous archiving.

Gmail has been subtly suggesting that we don't *need* to delete
anything, and many people think it's a plot so that we keep more and
more information in here for Them to access at their leisure. Maybe
they're right. Or maybe it's just a marketing scheme. Saying "you have
so much space you don't need to delete an email ever" may be an
exageration, but it plays on peoples previous (bad) experiences with
email, where storage is an issue. We all have had to keep deleting
email from our email server at some point, so Gmail's catch line will
work wonders on us. Ofcourse as soon as you start using it you forget
about the space and start appreciating the well thought-out interface
and functionality itself, which is what we've been collectively doing
here at gmail-users :)

Fanis

T. M. Tracy

Sep 27, 2004, 3:18:41 AM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I only delete things that I don't need...at all. like ebay
notices and crap. heh. spam, ect.
--
T. M. Tracy
tmt...@gmail.com

"Haha, that was joke gum. Now you're addicted to heroin"

vEDgar

Sep 27, 2004, 5:18:07 AM9/27/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
//* What DO I delete?
- Event notices for events I won't be attending *//

You might change your mind.

//* - Spam (after reporting it) *//

It's automatically deleted after 30 days

//* - um, not much else, I guess *//

right. I have deleted just a single empty email from myself, just to
see how the delete feature works. :-)

Triple Seven

Sep 27, 2004, 5:38:11 AM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I delete about 50% of all emails coming in. Since Gmail does not offer
the option for a *true* "Select All", I rather delete irrelevant
threads, and pointless n00b's repeats, as I go through them, rather
than having to go through *ALL* of my email later on, when space does
become an issue.

I also tend to delete threads with attachments, since that feature is
also lackinging (visibility of attachment size through the folder
view).
--

Yours,
Triple Seven.

Victor Francess

Sep 27, 2004, 6:58:40 AM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
This is true.

If we don't delete the unnecessary mail NOW the chance to find it
tomorrow is significally reduced.

But recently I realized something that was not very pleasent - in fact
Gmail is targeting average - not heavy users like myself. Only for
them it's true that they don't have to delete - my box will be over
quota the next year...

v.

kael

Sep 27, 2004, 9:08:34 AM9/27/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 27/09/2004 04:23, Mark G wrote:

>>Maybe next February 30th. Or when Sergey Brin and Larry Page have golden
>>balls.
>
> cmon kael, you're at it again.

Did Google change his mind ?

Please, see http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?igmail&1.

> why do you seem to be so pissed off with Google?

I do not like dishonesty even less when it comes from a big company.

--
kael

http://del.icio.us/ubi.quito.us

Triple Seven

Sep 27, 2004, 11:58:00 AM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Kael, weren't you kicked from this group before?
I would really like it if we didn't start a whole new thread with your
anti-google views all over again...

kael

Sep 27, 2004, 12:50:34 PM9/27/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 27/09/2004 17:58, Triple Seven wrote:

> Kael, weren't you kicked from this group before?

Dear Triple 6, Ooop, Dear Triple 7,

What do you mean by being "kicked" from the this group ?: Ryan banned me
? I unsubscribed to the list ?

You behave like the cop of this list - more over, thanks to you another
non-relevant message had been posted to the list.

You could have written a private message, haven't you ? Unless you just
want to try to heap opprobrium in public - as you are used to do with
"n00bs" ?

> I would really like it if we didn't start a whole new thread with your
> anti-google views all over again...

Ask it to Santa Klaus.

--
kael

http://del.icio.us/ubi.quito.us

Kikono

Sep 27, 2004, 4:35:35 PM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:50:34 +0200, kael <ka...@alussinan.org> wrote:

> opprobrium

Well, I learned a new word today.

Now I've just got to slip it into conversations.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=opprobrium

--
Kikono

Triple Seven

Sep 27, 2004, 6:17:12 PM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
It is very opprobrium of you to say that, kikono!

Ryan

Sep 27, 2004, 8:17:24 PM9/27/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
No but he was bouncing so I bumped him off.

BamaG33K

Nov 30, 2004, 1:31:23 PM11/30/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Um...I can't get it to work for me. I've tried Thunderbird, Mozilla
Mail and OE. can't connect to the server.

thanks

Derek

Nov 30, 2004, 6:25:52 PM11/30/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
gmail does not support imap

Isaac Hummel

Nov 30, 2004, 7:29:53 PM11/30/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
BamaG33K is referring to a third-party attempt to provide IMAP access
to Gmail, sortof like how POP Goes the Gmail allowed users to have POP
access to Gmail before they added POP access. I wouldn't put any trust
in these solutions as far as not doing bad things to my mail; I also
wouldn't give my password to a non-Google server. They are out there,
though.