open thread on the blog

Jon Pincus

Jan 22, 2009, 1:25:33 PM1/22/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com, Senator Obama - Please Vote Against FISA
as an experiment to try to stimulate more discussion, I've set up an
open thread on the blog. there's a lot to discuss, so please join in!

http://getfisaright.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/open-thread/

jon

jawboneblues

Jan 23, 2009, 11:07:31 AM1/23/09
to Get FISA Right Discussion
Hi, Jon,

You have been doing a great job. So, I don't want to dampen your
enthusiasm - nor anyone else's, but I am becoming overwhelmed with the
number of places that 'discussion' is going on for the Get FISA Right
group. Althoug I realize that different people prefer different
discussion modes, did we really need one more discussion spot? (I am
afraid that I am going to have to cut back on the number of places
that I check to track current discussions.)

I would also like to cut back on the number of email update
notifications that I get from all of the various sources. Is there
one major email source that is used to "push" for updates to the group
- i.e. the facebook GFR emails, the myBO emails, the Get FISA Right
Discussion google group updates or something else?

Lee / jawboneblues

Jon Pincus

Jan 23, 2009, 11:54:34 AM1/23/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lee,

No worries about dampening enthusiasm ... the problem of discussion going on in too many places is one that has dogged us all along.   When we discussed it in November/December, after getting people's input, I proposed the following:

1) introduce a blog.  http://getfisaright.wordpress.com
2) shift discussions from email and the message board to the wiki's discussion forum at http://get-fisa-right.wetpaint.com/thread ...
3) have daily "newsletter" updates that get broadcast to the email lists (and twitter, and Facebook)

Only a few people voiced opinions, and they generally agreed.  So for Ideas for Change I started to move things in this direction (although didn't get to the daily newsletter).   The blog is working well -- we continue to have excellent discussions there -- and so an "open thread" seemed like a good next step.

> (I am afraid that I am going to have to cut back on the number of places that I check to track current discussions.)

For now, checking the blog will get almost all the discussion.

> I would also like to cut back on the number of email update notifications that I get from all of the various sources. Is there one major email source that is used to "push" for updates to the group - i.e. the facebook GFR emails, the myBO emails, the Get FISA Right Discussion google group updates or something else?

Right now there is no single message source -- and I don't see that changing.   There are about 2500 people on the MyBO email list, 140 people in this Google Group, and 2100 people on Facebook, and my guess is that there's probably less than 50% overlap between any two.   Plus we now have the added opportunity (and complication) of the change.org folks.

I'm certainly up for suggestions on how to improve the situation ...

If you prefer only one source for messages, for now I'd suggest the blog's RSS feed, the GFR-discussion email group, or maybe Facebook (be sure to check your events -- and you won't get daily updates once we start doing them).

Again, if we can start doing a daily newsletter that'll be a big help.  Hopefully the "blast mail to MyBO group" we talked about on the phone call can move in that direction ...

jon
--
liminal states, my blog
Tales from the Net, a work in progress

Jon Pincus

Jan 23, 2009, 1:12:39 PM1/23/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
I went into more detail on this in a blog post at http://getfisaright.wordpress.com/?p=270 -- a description, recommendations, and a request for suggestions.

Here's an example of the kind of stuff that would go into a newsletter  http://get-fisa-right.wetpaint.com/page/Daily+Email+Blast+For+MyBO+List ...

jon

P Bruckart

Jan 23, 2009, 4:54:07 PM1/23/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jon, Lee, everyone:

I think it would be worthwhile to have a conference call solely on this topic and to announce the call on all our lists, sites, etc., well in advance.

-Patrick B.

Jan 23, 2009, 6:42:09 PM1/23/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
Great suggestion.

Can somebody take the lead on setting this up?  The best times of the week are usually Tuesday, Wedensday, or Thursday 5 p.m. Pacific/8 PM eastern, or Saturday 2 PM Pacific/5 PM Eastern ... I'll leave it up to others to decide how far out we want to schedule it.

jon

Jon Pincus

Jan 23, 2009, 6:44:32 PM1/23/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
It would be great to get instructions up for how to do this effectively -- and set up whatever RSS-to-email wizardry we need ...

jon

Thomas Nephew

Jan 23, 2009, 11:17:28 PM1/23/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
I'll do a wetpaint thing about Outlook.  Meanwhile, here's the quick version:
  1. look in "Tools" for "Organize" and
  2. then have that rule making tool look for "[GFR]" etc. in the subject line and
  3. move such incoming emails to a folder you set up.
You can also "run" such email handling rules on (that is, apply them to) messages already in your inbox.

I'll see if I can figure out how to do the feedburner RSS-to-email trick.  I know it's possible in theory -- feedburner has something set up for the purpose -- but haven't set myself to proving it with my blog or anyone else's.

I don't mean to imply these measures necessarily solve Lee's and Patrick's concerns, but it may help make things less difficult.

-- Thomas

Jan 30, 2009, 3:22:27 PM1/30/09
to Get FISA Right Discussion
Hey everyone,
Sorry to have dropped the ball on this, but I've been offline most of
the week and have not set up a conference call as yet. We could move
it back a week, but I've also had some second thoughts about this, as
people seemed to express little interest in it here on the group or on
the blog.

Any thoughts?

-Patrick Bruckart

On Jan 25, 5:33 pm, "P Bruckart" <pbruck...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I'll be happy to take the lead on that and will at setting up the call the
> week of Feb. 2nd (?)
>
> -Patrick B.
>
>   _____

Jon Pincus

Jan 30, 2009, 3:41:48 PM1/30/09
to GetFISArigh...@googlegroups.com
No worries, Patrick, I think most of us have been offline this week.  How about this: let's set up a conference call for the weekend of the 7th/8th on various topics, including communications, and try to do some preparation for it online is we try out the Dailyish update (etc.) approach.

jon