Maybe slightly OT/A "Googlie" meeting report

Liz Telford

Feb 18, 2007, 1:38:31 PM2/18/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Boy, we seem to be a quiet group at the moment apart from the transcriptions (which are always welcome and give us more grist for the mill).

I'm back from my sojourn in Canada and have (I think) recovered from jetlag!  My trip was wonderful (but a mite colder than Workington - it felt almost as if I was coming back to "the tropics", slight exaggeration but I'm sure you all get my drift).

Barb (Baker) and I managed to meet up with each other - I think I can speak for us both when I say that we had a great day together.  Because we've corresponded via the group, we felt immediately as though we'd known each other for years and I can promise you all that we didn't run out of topics of conversation once in the 5 or 6 hours we spent together (and no, we didn't each have a red rose in our teeth to recognise each other - we did, though, describe which outerwear each of us would be wearing)!  We chatted about our children/grandchildren, friends we'd made via the group, our genealogical interests and how our friends and children "accuse us" of being more interested in the dead than in the living at times.  We started off with coffee then had a great lunch together and a mooch around the stores (we met in a Mall halfway between both our locations).  I had a thoroughly enjoyable day and left Barb feeling as though I now not only had a "virtual pal" but that I had made a real friend.

I can thoroughly recommend "live" meet-ups when they are possible - I don't know if Barb and I were just "lucky" in hitting it off - although I'd think that with our genealogical interests as a starting point we had a very good basis anyway but we did, really, "hit it off" as much in person as we do via the group (I think that Barb will say the same thing).

Apart from seeing son, daughter-in-law (and, of course, my lovely grandson) again, meeting Barb was one of the highlights of my trip - the other really great highlight was seeing Rod Stewart live at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto (that was my Christmas gift from son, D-I-L and grandson.  (I know - I'm in danger of being an aging "rock chick" but he was brilliant)!

Liz (in a coolish but definitely warmer and no snow - at least not in Workington, than Oakville/Hamilton, Ontario).

Emily Smith

Feb 18, 2007, 3:51:39 PM2/18/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
I'm so glad to hear you had a good time!  And I bet you are glad to be home too.
--
Emily Smith

ANNNEW...@aol.com

Feb 18, 2007, 6:45:23 PM2/18/07
In a message dated 2/18/2007 1:39:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, liz.t...@btopenworld.com writes:

Barb (Baker) and I managed to meet up with each other - I think I can speak for us both when I say that we had a great day together.
Hi Liz,

It is so nice to hear you had such a wonderful trip. Barb told me about your visit together and sounded just as pleased as you do.

Thanks for letting us all know.

Ann

Barb Baker

Feb 19, 2007, 7:36:06 PM2/19/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Dear "Rock-Chick" Liz:

It was wonderful to have spent the day with you; the weather co-operated; the mall wasn't that busy; the only snag was my bus being late, which left you standing waiting.  Sorry about that !!!

No doubt about it, we were very comfortable, and the talking was easy, and the coffees were VERY LARGE.

It was good to meet you, and hope that next time, we could make a couple of visits possible. It is a good thing that you came when you did; otherwise we might have lost you in a snow bank.

My particular location received over 70cm of snow last week.  When I finally puuuuuusssssshhhhhhhhed my front door open and squeezed out, I was then met with a 7 foot drift of snow on my front porch.  It was very very clear, that I was NOT going anywhere soon.  To top it off, my shovel was way round at the side of my house. So I did the only sensible thing......slid down the front steps on my derriere and then plunged into the waist-high snow in my drive.  Made my way to the side door and found my shovel !!!  This all took a bit of time you see.

Only in Canada, eh !!!

Hope you are feeling rested and are working on your tatie pie, just to spoil the "old man".

Hugs from Hamilton, Ontario
Barb.

ANNNEW...@aol.com

Feb 19, 2007, 8:01:48 PM2/19/07
In a message dated 2/19/2007 7:36:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bbak...@sympatico.ca writes:
So I did the only sensible thing......slid down the front steps on my derriere and then plunged into the waist-high snow in my drive.
I would have paid to see that one!

It is really nice to hear both you and Liz had such a nice visit.

Ann

Liz Telford

Feb 20, 2007, 8:21:02 AM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
You know Ann, I was just thinking that I've have gladly paid to see that one too!

Sorry Barb but I'm giggling here at visions of you sliding down the front steps on your derriere - come on, admit it, you had fun and I'll bet you felt like a kid again AND I'll bet that after the adventure of finding the shovel it warranted a martini to combat the cold!!  My cousin (who lives inland, down South, so usually gets much colder temperatures than we do here on the coast) tells me that she's discovered the warming effects of "real" hot chocolate (you know, the old-fashioned kind made with proper chocolate shavings) with a slug of brandy for additional warmth-generating properties.  Hot chocolate is about the only beverage that I haven't tried with some kind of alcohol - wish she hadn't told me, I'll have to try it now (in the interests of scientific research you all understand)!

Liz

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

ANNNEW...@aol.com

Feb 20, 2007, 8:42:57 AM2/20/07
In a message dated 2/20/2007 8:23:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, liz.t...@btopenworld.com writes:
Hot chocolate is about the only beverage that I haven't tried with some kind of alcohol - wish she hadn't told me, I'll have to try it now (in the interests of scientific research you all understand)!

I am a firm believer in continuing education. Let us know the results of your testing. :-D

Ann

Diane Moore

Feb 20, 2007, 12:22:44 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Hot chocolate is about the only beverage that I haven't tried with some kind of alcohol - wish she hadn't told me, I'll have to try it now (in the interests of scientific research you all understand)!

Hot chocolate with Peppermint Shnapps is the best!  (called a "Polar Bear")

Liz Telford

Feb 20, 2007, 12:25:49 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
For goodness sake Di, stop encouraging me!  That's another I'll have to give a go - I'll blame our Maggie and this list if I end a Dipso!!

Liz

Hot chocolate is about the only beverage that I haven't tried with some kind of alcohol - wish she hadn't told me, I'll have to try it now (in the interests of scientific research you all understand)!

Hot chocolate with Peppermint Shnapps is the best!  (called a "Polar Bear")

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 12:29:57 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
HAHAHAHA......have you ever heard of "moose milk" ????

Diane Moore

Feb 20, 2007, 12:31:16 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to tell you to add that a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings on the top!

Cheers!

Diane Moore

Feb 20, 2007, 12:36:57 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe that has in it.

Liz Telford

Feb 20, 2007, 2:11:40 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Barb

I'm expecting several "next times" - as well as us meeting in Canada, you might be over here (there's a bed for you at anytime for as long as you want - and I'll feed you too)!

When I got back home, my birthday gift from Les was waiting for me (he sent my card to Canada) - he'd bought me a digital photo frame.  It's wonderful - as well as having its own internal memory, it works with an SD card or a memory stick, I think it's great.    It's a 7" x 5" frame that looks like a "normal" photo frame" but it displays photos as if you were viewing a computer slide show and the photo of us in the coffee shop (and the one of us drinking wine together when we had lunch) joins the rest of the photos I've got on there so your presence is gracing my living room every day.

Now, what was that about the Moose Milk?   I can see that you and me together for an extended period would be encouraging us to be a bad influence on each other!

Liz

Feb 20, 2007, 3:09:44 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

>HAHAHAHA......have you ever heard of "moose milk" ???<

Only if it's a Scottish "moose"

Mouse milk.jpg

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 3:23:35 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy Cumberland

Well, ya know, I'm not entirely sure.  I just remember my Uncle (who quaffed quite a few in his time), sitting there drinking what looked like a glass of milk.  When I asked, he said it was "moose milk". I was just a kid at the time.

Later Mom explained to me that the milk had a couple of shots of rye in it !!!

Years later, my brother-in-law drank the same thing, so there must have been some validity to the name of the drink.

What nice birthday presents and Christmas presents you received from your family !!!  Enjoy.

Barb.

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 3:25:19 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
HAHAHAHAHA Eddie !!! Both of them oil the system, although in a different manner.

Barb.
>HAHAHAHA......have you ever heard of "moose milk" ???<
Mouse milk.jpg

Diane Moore

Feb 20, 2007, 5:12:30 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

RCAF
Moose Milk

Ingredients

Quantity

Eggs

Good Canadian Whiskey

Dark Rum

Kahlua

Maple Syrup

Milk (homogenized only - don't use skim!)

Heavy whipping cream (not canned!)

Sugar

12 - only use the yolks

40 oz

40 oz

5 oz

10 oz

40 oz

40 oz

1 cup

moose.gif

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 5:17:22 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Woooooooooooooooooo, that makes a very large recipe !!!  Enough for a herd of moose, I would think.
Thanks for the recipe Di.

Diane Moore

Feb 20, 2007, 5:27:38 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Woooooooooooooooooo, that makes a very large recipe !!!  Enough for a herd of moose, I would think.

I think it's for the whole air force!

David

Feb 20, 2007, 5:51:10 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-Cumberland

So glad you had such a good time, Liz - back to earth and Wukkinton
with a bang, eh ?

[Re the 'ageing rock chick' bit, have thought for some time that the
audiences at these rock/pop/folk concerts given by 'veteran' stars
are a most fascinating sociological phenomenon indeed. By fortuitous
chance, we found ourselves last Saturday at a concert in Glasgow given
by four of the cast of the London Abba-inspired musical 'Mamma Mia'
'backed' by the Royal Scottish National Symphony Orchestra at which
most of the audience seemed to be smart, sleek, exceedingly prosperous
silverhaired 70-somethings. Compare this with the audience at a recent
[and most rare in England] Judy Collins concert, at which they weren't
just 'aged hippies' but just about exclusively absolutely untidy,
unkempt, impoverished, scruffs [including me !!] - there's a PhD
thesis in all this somewhere, I'm sure- just throw-in bits of jargon
such as 'social stratification' and mix well together ! - wonder what
Rod's audience comprised in comparison.....sorry, ramblin' OT and OTT
again............

Regards David

Liz Telford

Feb 20, 2007, 5:52:21 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Goodness Di, hope that quantity served the whole squadron!

Now then, I happen to have some maple syrup in the fridge and whisky etc.  Could I, do you think on this occasion (because I can only get Kahlua occasionally in Workington, the one supermarket that did sell it said they didn't have a lot of call for it) substitute Tia Maria?

What do you reckon Barb - will we try this?  I think it's one that Ann might enjoy too.  I don't think we'll be heroic (suicidal) enough to try the quantity given by Di though!

Liz

David

Feb 20, 2007, 6:06:35 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-Cumberland

Reminds me of a wonderful old countryman from Gillgarran, Liz, who
used to keep the Greyhound Pub on Whillimoor near Pica in relative
prosperity - his somewhat esoteric and exotic tipple was rum and
goat's milk and the landlord kept a refrigerator full of specially-
procured goats milk in their kitchen just for him [latterly, his son
'managed' Chapel Bank canteen, at the time it still had one to speak
of....]

Regards

David

linda chapman

Feb 20, 2007, 6:07:50 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Liz

Do you think there would be enough for this years christmas party?

Regards

Lin

Diane Moore

Feb 20, 2007, 6:15:44 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a plan!

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 6:16:47 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Wooooooooooooo, I don't think I would try this recipe, either making it or drinking it.  Too powerful for me, she said regretfully.  hahahahahaha  That said, I think Tia Maria would be an acceptable substitute.

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 6:17:31 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Christmas Party ????? Now, there's a thought..................
Feb 20, 2007, 6:18:51 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
definitely, we have to get our priorities right!!!

Regards

Lin

Feb 20, 2007, 6:23:27 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
How about, silly friends....at this year's Christmas Party, we have moose milk and pancakes ???

Is this called "the middle of winter doldrums" ??

Liz Telford

Feb 20, 2007, 6:25:44 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
What a good idea Lin - I've saved the recipe as is!

Liz
> Goodness Di, hope that quantity served the whole squadron!
>
> Now then, I happen to have some maple syrup in the fridge and whisky etc.  Could I, do you think on this occasion (because I can only get Kahlua occasionally in Workington, the one supermarket that did sell it said they didn't have a lot of call for it) substitute Tia Maria?
>
> What do you reckon Barb - will we try this?  I think it's one that Ann might enjoy too.  I don't think we'll be heroic (suicidal) enough to try the quantity given by Di though!
>
> Liz

Reminds me of a wonderful old countryman from Gillgarran, Liz, who
used to keep the Greyhound Pub on Whillimoor near Pica in relative
prosperity - his somewhat esoteric and exotic tipple was rum and
goat's milk and the landlord kept a refrigerator full of specially-
procured goats milk in their kitchen just for him [latterly, his son
'managed' Chapel Bank canteen, at the time it still had one to speak
of....]

Regards

David
Is anyone else getting these posts out of order as I am? I am so confused. I never got the one above from Liz.

Check out free AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and much more.

Barb Baker

Feb 20, 2007, 7:56:57 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

I don't know gang; do any of us believe that the posts are out of order, or do you think it is Ann ?????  hahahahaha. Perhaps she has been making the "recipe".

Ann

Feb 20, 2007, 8:00:20 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-Cumberland

On 20 Feb, 19:56, "Barb Baker" <bbake...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I don't know gang; do any of us believe that the posts are out of order, or do you think it is Ann ?????  hahahahaha. Perhaps she has been making the "recipe".

Who used to call it the "recipe?" Was it Grannie from the "Beverly
Hillbillies?"

There are no moose in New York Barb. Just 7/11's and BEER!!

Petra Mitchinson

Feb 20, 2007, 8:06:39 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have the same problem. They probably arrive at Google in the right order, but some get sent out quicker than others.

It's particularly bad today!

Petra
Feb 20, 2007, 8:24:44 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
I dunno fellow listers....I cannot drink this one...My Dr. told me to watch my cholesterol.....
But the rest of you go ahead and enjoy the Moose Milk and I'll pass the recipe on to some of the
Southwest people...

--
Emily Smith

Geo.

Feb 20, 2007, 10:12:17 PM2/20/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
OK, that'll make enough for me - what are you guys having?   lol

Geo.
moose.gif

Roland Edgar

Feb 21, 2007, 2:06:40 PM2/21/07
to Genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
That's over 10 pints.

If I made it would I have to drink it all in one sitting? (What a way to go!!! ;o) )

Roland