FYI - screenshots - 1) retractable controls 2) retracted 3) widescreen

Andrew Johnson

Mar 11, 2010, 6:57:59 PM3/11/10
to gaiagps-beta
Hey guys,

They aren't pretty yet, but I'm making serious progress on the UI now.

Regards,
Andrew

--
Andrew Johnson
GaiaGPS.com

dean2222_98

Mar 11, 2010, 8:42:59 PM3/11/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Spring is around the corner.  Better crank things up. :)

Mar 12, 2010, 9:03:15 AM3/12/10
to Gaia GPS Beta
Hey, Andrew, great work on the new UIs, I like 'em!

>  Picture 14.png
> 685KViewDownload
>
>  Picture 13.png
> 641KViewDownload
>
>  Picture 12.png
> 618KViewDownload

Peter Ostrowski

Mar 12, 2010, 10:30:48 AM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if Im a fan. Righ now I can hit one button and hide all the menus including the bottom one, this looks like it might be a pain to have to close each one.

DeLano, Mike

Mar 12, 2010, 10:56:07 AM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com

I like your progress.  Very impressive.

Mar 12, 2010, 3:25:37 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
It's true that you have to click multiple times to hide the menus, but I have also set up the app to hide everything when you rotate the map.

Between the retractable menus and the autorotation, I think you'll like it. I'll send out a rough version this weekend so you can try it out.

Andrew

Peter Ostrowski

Mar 12, 2010, 3:53:37 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
That's true, but you know its not easy to rotate the phone when you are hiking and possibly having something in your other hand. I don't think i've seen any hand held GPS with that feature and that might be why.
Ill have to give it a try. I do like the idea, just don't know if it will be functional in the real world (also would not want to screen to accidentally rotate when I do not want it to)

Andrew Johnson

Mar 12, 2010, 4:59:05 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Check this out. The art's also not done for this, but I have also overhauled the waypoint creation mechanism. I'll have some pin art done for this.

To make a waypoint, you press and hold the map, and then you can drag the pin around or type in coordinates. As you type in the coordinates, the pin moves around the map, and as you move the pin, the coordinates change. This works in any format, or it will by the end of today at least.

Andrew
Picture 16.png

Kristian G. Andersen

Mar 12, 2010, 5:03:17 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty nice to me - although I think the pin should be smaller.

As for the 'rotate to remove buttons', whilst I really like the idea, please PLEASE include in the preferences a way to lock the screen - I know nothing worse than the screen rotating when I don't want it to.....

Thanks,
Kristian

Andrew Johnson

Mar 12, 2010, 5:07:58 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, this image is just a placeholder. Technically speaking, the image needs to be about 40px square to be easily touchable, so we will frame some pin art in a transparent background.

And will do on the rotate off switch.

Andrew

Peter Ostrowski

Mar 12, 2010, 5:09:16 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Nice!!!
I was thinking of another feature that could be real useful. Make a drawing line tool (free form, not a strait line, trails rarely go strait) and tell you the distance of it. This would be extremely useful when hiking and trying to find out how far things are away. Like should I take this route, or go around the pond to that other route.

BTW I order an iPad today, hope you guys are working on a version of Gaia for it!

Andrew Johnson

Mar 12, 2010, 5:21:08 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
We are thinking about doing an iPad app, but we are afraid that the userbase will be small. We couldn't sell any .99 iPad apps for sure.

We also have tons of work left on the iPhone app, so we're not sure we should be splitting our attention. We are working on a Droid release with a subset of features, but that is mostly being done by a friend/contractor.

Andrew

Kristian G. Andersen

Mar 12, 2010, 5:35:34 PM3/12/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of a 'draw to measure distance' tool...... I have always been wanting this feature ;-).

jwimer

Mar 13, 2010, 10:57:25 AM3/13/10
to Gaia GPS Beta
Hey, Andrew, how about putting out a beta with the new UI's so we can
all play with them some and give feedback on buttons, useability,
function, etc., based on actual usage and not just looks? :-)

MtnBiker

Mar 13, 2010, 11:21:54 AM3/13/10
to Gaia GPS Beta
So far all great ideas!! Great thread! Live the new screens and the
rotate, but yes need a rotate lock button. Distance tool is nice, I
have an app that supports up to 4 finger in the distance tool but they
never got 3 finger to work as a track, 4 fingers does an area.

And as far as having to hide all the tool bars to go full screen, how
offten will you have all of them showing at once? I rarely use the
search, but when I do I do not use the other tools and same the other
way around. I think it will be perfect the way Andrew described!!

Will the pull-ups at the bottom ( haha pull-ups and iPads) be user
definable? I know there has been a lot of talk on how boaters dont
need elevation and all that so I think they should be.

Sorry for any misspelling, typing from my phone in the morning while
still sleeping, I just couldn't wait to comment and get the next
beta!!

MtnBiker

Mar 13, 2010, 11:25:00 AM3/13/10
to Gaia GPS Beta
With that, is there a way to reply from the built in mail app! Or do I
need to be on the google group page to do so.

Peter Ostrowski

Mar 13, 2010, 11:42:58 AM3/13/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Yes just reply to GaiaGP...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Johnson

Mar 13, 2010, 3:28:09 PM3/13/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

We'll try and get a rough beta out as soon as possible... maybe tomorrow night?

I do want to get this out for feedback as soon as possible, but I want to shave off some of the rough edges I know we'll get comments on first.

Andrew

Andrew Johnson

Mar 13, 2010, 3:30:03 PM3/13/10
to gaiagp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brad,

Thanks for your comments. And yes... the bottom displays are customizable for the reasons you describe. You can put graphs or stats there, and I was thinking about allowing for the trip recording controls (photo button, on switch, etc). to be placed there as well.

Andrew