RE: MineralDepositTypeValue for review [DLM=For-Official-Use-Only]

Mike....@ga.gov.au

Dec 16, 2013, 7:16:06 PM12/16/13
to r...@bgs.ac.uk, GT...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

With regard to two of the Terms proposed in the MineralDepositTypeValue_RH-TM;

I am intrigued by the use of the word “laterite”. This is a highly misused and abused term throughout the literature and I cannot help but wonder what a laterite deposit actually is – at least by your (RH-TM) understanding.

I would be grateful if you could explain, at least for my benefit, what a “laterite deposit” is.

For me “laterite” represents a weathering effect – and a host of weathering features which may or may not be present at a specific location. But just how is “laterite deposit” a mineral deposit.

Although I avoid using the term “laterite” because of the confusion it tends to generate, I expect that when you refer to a “lateritic” (bauxite/nickel) you are referring to the weathering process (using laterite (whatever it actually means) as an adjective) that presumably was involved in the mineral deposit (bauxite) generative process.

If you wish to see just how confused the perceptions of this term really are just go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laterite

If I were pressed quickly to suggest and alternative terms I would prefer to see something like:

1.4               weathering products

1.4.1                       residual deposits

1.4.1.1                              bauxite (lateritic) – if you really want to refer to the weathering process thought

to be responsible the mineral deposit itself)

1.4.1.2                             bauxite (karstic)

1.4.1.3                             nickel (lateritic)

1.4.2                      transported deposits

1.4.2.1                             pisolites (lateritic - gold)

1.4.2.2                             pisolites (lateritic - bauxite)

Cheers,

MikeC

Dr Michael A Craig

Senior Research Scientist  |  Regolith/Geomorphology  |  Data Acquisition and Stewardship

Minerals and Natural Hazards Division  |  GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA

Phone:  +61 2 6249 9453    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9999  Mobile:  +61 (0) 409443669

Email:  Mike....@ga.gov.au    Web:  www.ga.gov.au

Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT

GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia

Applying geoscience to Australia’s most important challenges

Jan 10, 2014, 5:35:24 AM1/10/14
to Mike....@ga.gov.au, GT...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike

Many thanks for that. Having consulted with our minerals guys here,  we think your comments are entirely valid and improve on the previous BGS classification. Deposits of this type are much better known in Australia than in Europe!

Regards,

Rachel Heaven

Senior Scientific Officer, Geoinformatics

British Geological Survey, Environmental Science Centre

Nicker Hill, Keyworth, Nottingham, NG12 5GG

+ 44 (0)115 963382 | r...@bgs.ac.uk | www.bgs.ac.uk