Help needed in migrating mails from one GMail account to another Gmail Account...

VMX

Feb 23, 2007, 1:16:50 AM2/23/07
to GMu...@googlegroups.com, Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have had three Gmail ID for quite some time now and now I would like close one of them down, the main issue being one I wish to close down has been my primary ID for quite some time and I want to migrate all the mails from that account to the secondary account.

Lets call the accounts in question here as user.acct.1 and user.acct.2, I also have a yahoo ID where POP3 has been activated, lets call this user_acct . I didn't want to use the standard forward feature coupled with ID spoofing so as to make the secondary ID act as a primary one, as that would mean the maintenance of the other account.

I decided that once the fetcher feature is activated on my secondary ID, I would POP all the mails from user.acct.1 to user.acct.2. Then I learnt that the POP feature is applicable only for non GMail accounts.

As this was not an option any more, I decided that I will POP my user.acct.1 to user_acct and then POP user_acct to user.acct.2 and thus effectively fetching all the mails from user.acct.1 to user.acct.2.

I looked at the section "Configuring other mail clients" to configure my yahoo account top fetch the mail from user.acct.1 ID.

The config is as follows:
Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:
pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:
smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS : Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
Account Name:
your Gmail username (including @gmail.com )
Email Address:
your full Gmail email address (user...@gmail.com )
Password:
your Gmail password

I started configuring user.name.1 account in yahoo and it was then I discovered, to my immense disappointment, that yahoo mail fetcher doesn't offer authentication using SSL. At least the version of yahoo mail that I had (its a yahoo.co.in version), It offers free POP and forwarding, along with other standard yahoo mail (free) features.

Only other option that I have now (rather I know of) is to download mails from user.acct.1 using Outlook or TB and set it up to forward the mails to user.acct.2 . Considering the fact that I use a 64K connection at home I dare not try that as I have over 500MB mails in my primary ID and I think it will take too much time.

I tried looking at other webmail services that has SSL feature for their mail fetcher so that I can have an online process, that just needs to be initiated by me (as the setup process) and the servers would take care of the rest after I have logged of from the net. I am afraid the best I could find was inbox.com service which offered SPA.

Could anyone please suggest a process by which I can do the same, of course, without having to subscribe to some paid service? Is there any other process that I can look at for doing the above said?

Any help would really be appreciated,
Many Thanks,
Vijay

PS: Apologies for the bad English, it's not my mother tounge.

Zack (Doc)

Feb 23, 2007, 7:07:36 AM2/23/07
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
I'm aware of applications you can use, but that would require using your home connection.  I'm not aware of any online service that could do what you'd like.

I've heard that if you use pop.googlemail.com instead of the pop.gmail.com, you can get GMail to pop from GMail... try that.

VMX

Feb 27, 2007, 1:47:33 AM2/27/07
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Zack,

Thanks for that... It works like a charm.

Thanks again,
Vijay

Island in the Net

Feb 28, 2007, 8:01:07 AM2/28/07
to GMusers- GMail Beta & Beyond
Will this work for Google Apps for your Domain accounts? I would
like to start using my domain account but I have been using my
@gmail.com address for over 4 years now and I have a LOT of email I
would like to move to my @domain.com account.

On Feb 23, 7:07 am, "Zack (Doc)" <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
> I'm aware of applications you can use, but that would require using your
> home connection. I'm not aware of any online service that could do what
> you'd like.
>
> I've heard that if you use pop.googlemail.com instead of the pop.gmail.com,
> you can get GMail to pop from GMail... try that.
>
> On 2/23/07, VMX <vmx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I have had three Gmail ID for quite some time now and now I would like
> > close one of them down, the main issue being one I wish to close down has
> > been my primary ID for quite some time and I want to migrate all the mails
> > from that account to the secondary account.
>

> > Lets call the accounts in question here as *user.acct.1* and *user.acct.2*,
> > I also have a yahoo ID where POP3 has been activated, lets call this *user_acct
> > *. I didn't want to use the standard forward feature coupled with ID

> > spoofing so as to make the secondary ID act as a primary one, as that would
> > mean the maintenance of the other account.
>
> > I decided that once the fetcher feature is activated on my secondary ID, I

> > would POP all the mails from *user.acct.1* to *user.acct.2*. Then I learnt

> > that the POP feature is applicable only for non GMail accounts.
>

> > As this was not an option any more, I decided that I will POP my *
> > user.acct.1* to *user_acct* and then POP *user_acct *to *user.acct.2* and
> > thus effectively fetching all the mails from *user.acct.1* to *user.acct.2
> > *.
>
> > I looked at the section "*Configuring other mail clients" *to configure my
> > yahoo account top fetch the mail from *user.acct.1* ID.

> > The config is as follows:

> > *Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:*
> > pop.gmail.com
> > * Use SSL*: Yes
> > *Port*: 995
> > *Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:*
> > smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
> > *Use Authentication*: Yes
> > *Use STARTTLS *: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
> > *Port*: 465 or 587
> > *Account Name: *

> > your Gmail username (including @gmail.com )

> > *Email Address: *
> > your full Gmail email address (usern...@gmail.com )
> > *Password: *
> > your Gmail password
>
> > I started configuring *user.name.1* account in yahoo and it was then I

> > discovered, to my immense disappointment, that yahoo mail fetcher doesn't
> > offer authentication using SSL. At least the version of yahoo mail that I
> > had (its a yahoo.co.in version), It offers free POP and forwarding, along
> > with other standard yahoo mail (free) features.
>
> > Only other option that I have now (rather I know of) is to download mails

> > from *user.acct.1* using Outlook or TB and set it up to forward the mails
> > to *user.acct.2* . Considering the fact that I use a 64K connection at

Nick Chirchirillo

Feb 28, 2007, 10:33:44 AM2/28/07
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, that will not work for Google Apps.  Google Apps email addresses do not have the mail fetcher feature.  However, you could try opening a new GMail account, tell it to forward all incoming mail to your domain account, while also having it POP your old emails.  I'm not sure if that will work, but it's worth a try :)