Filtering for list mail

Bill Holmes

Jul 16, 2004, 7:04:36 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to set a GMail filter for
list mail?

I have been using "to:gmu...@googlegroups.com" but I realize I could use
"[GMusers]" as well. Are there any advantages to either or are they
pretty much the same in result?

I could agonize over this kind of decision for days. LOL.

Thanks,
Bill

Mark Worsham

Jul 16, 2004, 7:17:54 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com

I simply put "gmusers" in the To field, and it works every time.

--
Mark W
Murphy, TX

RemzyJ

Jul 16, 2004, 7:18:56 PM7/16/04
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
I use both for some wired reason and it works. I put the email address
in the To: part and GMuser in subject for the filter setup.
Works well for me.
Remi

Sri Kat

Jul 16, 2004, 7:29:19 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Just adding: one can also subscribe to Gmail related newsletters and
mailing lists w/ accountn...@gmail.com, set a filter such that
all msgs received to this address gets a label, 'Gmail' (that you
should have created earlier).

This way, the no. of filters gets reduced greatly. You might be
getting mails from one source on a topic today, but hey tomorrow there
might be more sources from which you would like to get mails and
instead of creating another filter that applies the same label,
plussing keeps it neat. It's like planning ahead.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:04:36 -0500 (CDT), Bill Holmes <bi...@gmung.com> wrote:

--
http://sridhar.f2o.org/ | http://www.furl.net/members/srikat |
http://srilinx.blogspot.com/ | http://gmailwiki.com

Domino's Mom

Jul 16, 2004, 7:51:54 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:04:36 -0500 (CDT), Bill Holmes <bi...@gmung.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to set a GMail filter for
> list mail?
>
> I have been using "to:gmu...@googlegroups.com" but I realize I could use
> "[GMusers]" as well. Are there any advantages to either or are they
> pretty much the same in result?

I always filter on the tag [GMusers] but it does seem to miss a few.
I've had some email come through from lists that for some reason,
don't have that tag on it. So I started filtering on both. ;)

--
Cheers,
Bev

Randy Harmelink

Jul 16, 2004, 8:18:38 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:17:54 -0500, Mark Worsham <mwor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I simply put "gmusers" in the To field, and it works every time.

As far as I can tell, the search function ignores the brackets, so
"gmusers" and "[GMusers]" would be identical searches...

I've been setting up shortcuts for each of my regular searches,
basically each is just a "stored" search to give me a quick view, and
the brackets seem to make no difference in those searches.

Mathew Lankard

Jul 16, 2004, 8:40:30 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
I put gmusers in the Topic filter and it catches it everytime.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:17:54 -0500, Mark Worsham <mwor...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Closure has come, to me, myself...
http://freewebs.com/forgetclosure

Bill

Jul 16, 2004, 8:51:58 PM7/16/04
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Sri Kat wrote:
> Just adding: one can also subscribe to Gmail related newsletters and
> mailing lists w/ accountn...@gmail.com, set a filter such that
> all msgs received to this address gets a label, 'Gmail' (that you
> should have created earlier).

Hi Sri,

I can see what you are doing, but there is a part of it I can't seem to
wrap my mind around. :)

I can't see how to create a label without selecting a conversation. Is
there a way to create an empty label and I just can't see it? Or do
you label a conversation with your desired label and then remove it
from the conversation?

Thanks,
Bill Holmes

Mathew Lankard

Jul 16, 2004, 8:55:58 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
At the very bottom of your actual labels section it should say "Edit
Labels". You'll be able to make a new label there. I have a label
just named "Gmail" that I forward all my Gmail related groups too.

Bill Holmes

Jul 16, 2004, 9:02:01 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:55:58 -0500, Mathew Lankard <lan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the very bottom of your actual labels section it should say "Edit
> Labels". You'll be able to make a new label there. I have a label
> just named "Gmail" that I forward all my Gmail related groups too.

Ahhh! Under Settings>Labels

Thanks!

Bill Holmes

Bill

Jul 16, 2004, 10:30:22 PM7/16/04
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
Mathew Lankard wrote:
> At the very bottom of your actual labels section it should say "Edit
> Labels". You'll be able to make a new label there. I have a label
> just named "Gmail" that I forward all my Gmail related groups too.

OK.

But I have a further question. :)

I will end up with an e-mail address like wholmes + GMail @ gmail.com
once I have created the label. In order to use this to subscribe to
mailing lists I will have to submit it through a web form, no? Is
there any way to send a message to somelist-subscribe @
somelistserver.not from wholmes + GMail @ gmail.com?

Thanks,
Bill

Mathew Lankard

Jul 16, 2004, 11:44:22 PM7/16/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
I don't think there's a way to get mailing lists to automatically
label using the "+" method. You could setup a filter to automatically
label mail you got from the list however. This is how I handle my
list mail.

Mathew

Nancy McGough

Jul 17, 2004, 1:29:17 AM7/17/04
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
On 16 Jul 2004 Sri Kat (neo...@gmail.com) wrote:
> Just adding: one can also subscribe to Gmail related newsletters and
> mailing lists w/ accountn...@gmail.com, set a filter such that
> all msgs received to this address gets a label, 'Gmail' (that you
> should have created earlier).

I use plus addresses a lot on other systems but I haven't figured
out a good way to use them with Gmail. For example, what does
your Gmail filter condition look like for mail sent to
accountn...@gmail.com. What I'd like to do is filter on
this header:

Because at Gmail the Delivered-To header records the plus
address. I've tried using

Has the words: Delivered-To: accountname+gmail

But that doesn't work. I "bounce forward" a lot of my mail from
other systems to my Gmail account and it would be nice if I could
use Gmail's plus addresses to automatically label these bounced
forward messages. I've also tried to use a Gmail filter to filter
on this header

But that doesn't work either. It seems that Gmail's filter
conditions ignore some of the hidden headers (i.e., the headers
that you see only when you click on More Options > Show
Original). If anyone is interested in how I use plus addressing,
I've written about it on my Procmail Quick Start, which is here:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#downcasing>

I'd really like to hear more about how people are using Gmail's
plus addresses and what your plus-address filters look. Mainly
I'm interested in how you deal with messages that are sent to a
plus address but the plus address does not appear in the To or Cc
header (for example list mail and bounced forwarded mail).

Thank you,
Nancy
Infinite Ink
www.ii.com

Mathew Lankard

Jul 17, 2004, 1:42:26 AM7/17/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Plus mail will automatically go to a folder with the same name, not
sure if you knew that. But there's no way to go from there to another
filter that I know of.

On 17 Jul 2004 06:29:17 +0100, Nancy McGough

Muralikrishnan B

Jul 17, 2004, 2:00:50 AM7/17/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:42:26 -0500, Mathew Lankard <lan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plus mail will automatically go to a folder with the same name, not
> sure if you knew that. But there's no way to go from there to another
> filter that I know of.

If what you are saying is that a mail sent to a gmail account with a +
suffix in the id would be automatically delivered to a Label with the
same suffix without creating a flter for that, I dont see that
happening

cheers
Murali

--
Photoblog :: http://test.weblogs.us

Mathew Lankard

Jul 17, 2004, 2:11:26 AM7/17/04
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Weird, I could of swore this worked before.

Mathew

Nancy McGough

Jul 17, 2004, 2:40:57 AM7/17/04
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
On 17 Jul 2004 Mathew Lankard (lan...@gmail.com) wrote:

> Plus mail will automatically go to a folder with the same name, not
> sure if you knew that. But there's no way to go from there to another
> filter that I know of.

That does not happen on my Gmail account and, at least in April, The
Gmail Team agreed. Here's an excerpt of my correspondence with them:

| Hello Nancy,
|
| Thank you for your email. We apologize for our delay in getting
| back to you. Gmail currently does support 'plus addressing' such
| as you described. You would need to set up the labels and filters
| accordingly, if you would like to filter messages received using
| the plus sign.
|
| If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to
| email us.
|
| Sincerely,
|
| The Gmail Team
|
| Original Message Follows:
| ------------------------
| From: xxx...@gmail.com
| Subject: Is it possible to use "plus addressing" to ...
| Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:16:13 -0000
|
| Is it possible to use "plus addressing" to automatically assign a
| label upon delivery to Gmail? E.g, if I send a message to
| xxxxx...@gmail.com, the message would automatically be
| assigned the label "imap"? If not, do you have plans to add
| something like this? What are the things that users can do with
| plus-addressing in Gmail now?
|
| Thank you,
| Nancy

RemzyJ

Jul 17, 2004, 4:04:00 AM7/17/04
to GMu...@googlegroups.com
I think it is possible to use the Gmail + feature now, I have used it
once recently and it worked. I have not used it often because I
sometimes forget and some forms don't accept the + with the email
address when I submit. However there is a small tutorial on how to do
it in the link below. I hope it is helpful.
http://home.deds.nl/~reliq/2004/06/gmail-thing.html